PDA

View Full Version : 10-year old left behind

clemiedog
09-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Boy is left behind as his family evacuates
Conroe police find lost Pasadena 10-year-old inside convenience store
By RENEE C. LEE
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
CONROE - Police are trying to locate the family of a 10-year-old Pasadena boy who was left behind at a convenience store Thursday afternoon as relatives continued their evacuation trek.
Conroe police spokesman Sgt. Bob Berry said the family was traveling in a five-car caravan from Pasadena headed to Dallas when they stopped in Conroe.
He said the family members went into the store as a group but apparently did not do a head count when they left and got back into their cars.
The boy told police he turned around and his family was gone.
Police picked up the boy about noon and took him to the police station.
''We're trying to make arrangements to find out who and where they are," Berry said. ''We're also trying to get CPS to step in to find a temporary home for him."
He said the boy gave police his mother's cell phone number but calls were forwarded to a voice mail.

Lyn Is Snide
09-23-2005, 08:02 AM
:wtf
Okay, I can see forgetting your glasses, chapstick or magazine, but how in the hell can you forget one of your children, for cripes sake!!!

Dumbasses.

Bleep
09-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Count me in. Although the child was 15 at the time.And he was my brother-in-law, not my kid. And we did remember to go and collect him about 30 minutes later.
We all stopped to get a snack at a little store- there were 6 of us in a big old station wagon. We allpiled back in the car and about 20 miles down the road, someone said "Where's Robbie?"
Oops. :ohwell

TwiggyAZ
09-23-2005, 09:20 AM
I hope that mother checks her cell phone soon.

My mother left my sister at a convience store once also. Many years ago, as we were traveling. Five of us kids, lots of noise. Oops!!! I don't know if we got the right one when we went back, she's a little weird!!! ;)

Lyn Is Snide
09-23-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't know if we got the right one when we went back, she's a little weird!!!

:rofl

Wolfhoundowner
09-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, the story says they were in a 5-car caravan -- I'm betting it was a case of everyone thinking he was in another car.

We had a four-car caravan of relatives on a vacation this past summer -- same thing nearly happened to us twice, though we never did actually leave without the teen in question.

Tried awful damn hard, though ;)

lake brat
09-23-2005, 05:22 PM
I had a family "forget" one of their kids at my store a couple of years ago. Family of either 5 or 6 kids, he was about 4. Luckily I knew what kind of vechicle they were driving and what direction they might be going. Called the sheriffs office and they stopped the parent's minivan about 20 miles away. I sure didn't want to deal with a 4 year old rugrat till they missed him. Seriously, he was a sweet kid, not scared a bit.
lake brat

PurpleButterfly
09-23-2005, 06:54 PM
In the craziness I can see this oversight. What I CANNOT see is the ones that leave their own child in the hot car for hours because they FORGOT to drop them off at daycare?

THAT is TRULY insane.

Peregrina
09-23-2005, 10:52 PM
we had a couple scares like that when we were little, my brothers and I liked to 'explore' if you get my drift. :) so whenever we go anywhere in large groups everyone has to keep an eye on someone else, but they can't keep an eye on each other. Like person a keeps an eye on person b, person b on c, c on a, etc.