PDA

View Full Version : Burger King Recalls 'Sacreligious Desserts' (UK)

basca
09-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Burger King recalls 'sacrilegious' desserts

JOHN INNES

THE fast-food chain, Burger King, is withdrawing its ice-cream cones after the lid of the dessert offended a Muslim.

The man claimed the design resembled the Arabic inscription for Allah, and branded it sacrilegious, threatening a "jihad".

The chain is being forced to spend thousands of pounds redesigning the lid with backing from The Muslim Council of Britain. It apologised and said: "The design simply represents a spinning ice-cream cone."

The offending lid was spotted in a branch in Park Royal last week by business development manager Rashad Akhtar, 27, of High Wycombe.

He was not satisfied by the decision to withdraw the cones and has called on Muslims to boycott Burger King. He said: "This is my jihad. How can you say it is a spinning swirl? If you spin it one way to the right you are offending Muslims."

A Muslim Council spokesman said: "We commend the sensitive and prompt action that Burger King has taken."
http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1951292005

:wtf

stinky*felix
09-24-2005, 10:15 AM
I find Burger King offensive, in general.

Wolfhoundowner
09-24-2005, 10:20 AM
This story is for real?

I think I'm gonna need a picture of this 'offensive' lid....

Kay of Bardonia
09-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Well now, Bard can create enough problems all by his own self. He doesn't need pictures of "sacreligious" dessert containers bringing down a jihad on his head!!

See, this is where religion gets you :shrug

basca
09-24-2005, 10:28 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/basca/Weird%20stuff/burg20905.jpg

Kay of Bardonia
09-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Eeeeek!! Basca went and did it!!! The coliseum is gonna get the jihad now!!! Run Bard, run, afore they announce the Fatwa :eek

Wolfhoundowner
09-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Basca :happy

Oh, for crying out loud.....sometimes I think people just LOOK for things to be pissed about....

Catfish
09-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Uh...oh...the lids off the cone, so to speak.
Wait till they find out the Burger King is actually a Burger Queen in drag who owns a gay bar in Tampa.

stinky*felix
09-24-2005, 10:38 AM
"The design simply represents a spinning ice-cream cone."
That's no spinning ice cream cone.

jdansam
09-24-2005, 11:22 AM
This PC crap is way over the top. If a design upsets these small-minded blights, I can't wait until they find out that their french fries were deep fried in pig fat for the last 20 years! This whiny little creep should have been back-handed and shit upon.

Kay of Bardonia
09-24-2005, 11:27 AM
This PC crap is way over the top. If a design upsets these small-minded blights, I can't wait until they find out that their french fries were deep fried in pig fat for the last 20 years! This whiny little creep should have been back-handed and shit upon.

That's the spirit :laugh

I also very much doubt that Burger King use halal meat, so WTF was he doing in there in the first place, anyway?

Ah, religion, what a wonderful thing :poke

basca
09-24-2005, 11:36 AM
That's no spinning ice cream cone.

Then what is it Stinky? I rotated the pic and the only other thing I could come up with is a mans face, and if it is that, he has a big ass nose and lips. :happy

Look at the pic, the ice cream swirls go in different directions than that other thing. The man needs to find something else to get upset about. As far as religion goes, there are always nut cases in every bunch and this man would be their token nut. Unfortunately everyone is so scared of offending that this kind of stupid thing happens.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/basca/Weird%20stuff/burg209052.jpg

PurpleButterfly
09-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Basca :happy

Oh, for crying out loud.....sometimes I think people just LOOK for things to be pissed about....

No kidding Wolfie, that's just plain silly.

stinky*felix
09-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Then what is it Stinky? I rotated the pic and the only other thing I could come up with is a mans face, and if it is that, he has a big ass nose and lips. :happy LOL!

To me, it appears to be an abstract representation of the ice cream portion of an ice cream cone.

I doubt Burger Kind had anything malicious in mind. Burger King execs don't appear to have an abundance of reasoning abilities.

Personally, if I was them I would have yanked those tops off the shelves, and immediately issued an apology for any unintended insult. I would have also berated the newspaper for running the article in such a biased manner.

That is nothing more than I would expect if a Muslim-based company inadvertently used what appeared to be a Christian symbol in what I felt was a demeaning manner.

basca
09-24-2005, 01:28 PM
To me, it appears to be an abstract representation of the ice cream portion of an ice cream cone.

Phew...I thought you were going to agree with the guy that filed the complaint.