PDA

View Full Version : This is insane......

pplantlady
09-24-2005, 06:09 PM
:wtf
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/17/national/main856311.shtml

Priest Pricks Children With Pin

AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 17, 2005

(AP)

"I didn't think it was that big a deal. I can see the point now. I'll see to it that it doesn't happen again."
Rev. Arthur Michalka

(AP) The Catholic Diocese of Austin is investigating after a priest called about 15 children to come forward during evening Mass so he could prick them with an unsterilized pin to demonstrate the pain Jesus suffered during crucifixion.

"What I was trying to teach them is that suffering is a part of life," said the Rev. Arthur Michalka, 78, on Friday.

No one reacted strongly during the incident at evening Mass at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Corn Hill on Wednesday, said Helen Osman, communications director for the Austin diocese. Osman said that the priest pricked both adults and children.

"What were you thinking?" said Debbie Sybert, a Jarrell resident whose 11-year-old daughter, Amanda, was pricked during Mass. "Apparently our father has lost his mind."

Sybert said the pinpoint drew Amanda's blood. But Michalka said none of the children bled.

Regardless of whether blood was drawn, Osman said, pricking children with a needle is "not appropriate religious training."

Osman said workers at the Williamson County and Cities Health District will conduct confidential interviews with the Mass attendees to find out whether they have any communicable diseases and whether skin was broken.

Officials will then determine whether the children might be at risk for exposure to diseases such as HIV or hepatitis and whether a blood test is needed.

Dr. Ed Sherwood, health authority for the Williamson district, said the likelihood of transmitting blood-borne diseases by a pinprick is "real but quite small." He said the risk would increase if adults and children were pricked with the same pin because adults are more likely to be sexually active.

"As a parent, I would not be happy about it," Sherwood said. "But I would be consoled by the fact that statistically, the overwhelming probability is that these kids will be just fine."

Michalka said he plans to apologize in church this Sunday for not sterilizing the pin.

"I didn't think it was that big a deal," Michalka said. "I can see the point now. I'll see to it that it doesn't happen again."

stinky*felix
09-24-2005, 06:13 PM
"I can see the point now."
Sorry, but that struck me funny. :D

Nowhereman
09-24-2005, 06:42 PM
I agree that this is insane, everyone who is not completely isolated has at least a rudimentary understanding that blood borne pathogens exist and can be transmitted by that kind of ignorance. Good grief!

PurpleButterfly
09-24-2005, 06:45 PM
This is why I feel guilty as heck using the phrase "common sense" any more.

It's NOT common any longer!

:sad

Lyn Is Snide
09-24-2005, 07:38 PM
:wtf was this dipfart thinking? I would totally blow a fuse, and press criminal charges, if someone did this to my child. :mad:

Peregrina
09-25-2005, 12:00 AM
what strikes me as odd is that no one reacted to it during mass. like the parent quoted in the article. why didn't she say something when her daughter was pricked during mass?

randy
09-25-2005, 12:09 AM
It seems to me that such a holy man should lead by example.

Since he has taken a vow of celibacy and wouldn't need them anyway, why doesn't he volunteer to have a good farmer come in, tie one of those "goat" rubber bands around his brass balls and have them cut off in a public display of his unity with his Lord and Savior???? WORKS FOR MY ASS!

Peregrina
09-25-2005, 12:33 AM
I know some 'holy men' I wouldn't mind volunteering for that little devotion of yours, Randy

randy
09-25-2005, 08:11 AM
:wtf was this dipfart thinking? I would totally blow a fuse, and press criminal charges, if someone did this to my child. :mad:

And I totally agree with Lyn!

What has happened to parents? I was fortunate in that I grew up with parents that felt the same way. My mother would not have cared who it was that either did hurt me or attempted to hurt me or in fact just might hurt me. She would have cut his head off and shoved it down his neck.

I am sick of these religious pukes, of all religions, that pull this sick crap on kids. They need to be sent to prison and have their rears "pricked"!

Trouble
09-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Good Lord, it was a stupid mistake by a stupid man that probably, like 99.99% probability, will have NO ill effects upon those children.

Here in this thread, by all these self-professed peace loving liberals, I've read that his balls should be cut off and now Randy wants him to get ass reamed in prison.

And you wonder why we in the majority in this country shake our collective heads in disbelief of you people....then go vote to make sure your vision of the world doesn't happen?

This thread is a perfect example along with the Prozac/First Lady's thread. I mean the first couple of years it would have been funny I suppose, but that act has worn thin on we republicans.

I ASSURE you, you will understand what I mean come election time.

randy
09-25-2005, 08:35 AM
You have got to be kidding! :thud

Jannilu
09-25-2005, 10:09 AM
And you wonder why we in the majority in this country shake our collective heads in disbelief of you people....then go vote to make sure your vision of the world doesn't happen?

This thread is a perfect example along with the Prozac/First Lady's thread. I mean the first couple of years it would have been funny I suppose, but that act has worn thin on we republicans. I ASSURE you, you will understand what I mean come election time.

I hate to break it to you, but you really don't speak for the majority of the country.
Your collective heads are, however, in true disbelief.

Speaking of elections...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/Jannilu/bush_dailymirror_dumb_people1.jpg

Trouble
09-25-2005, 10:51 AM
I hate to break it to you, but you really don't speak for the majority of the country.
Your collective heads are, however, in true disbelief.

Speaking of elections...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/Jannilu/bush_dailymirror_dumb_people1.jpg

Believe what you want. I know for a fact that the republicans dictate policy to the greatest part and I see no slowing down and certainly no reversal of the trend.

Good luck as you squirm for the rest of the term.....and then some.

Poodles
09-25-2005, 12:13 PM
This thread is a perfect example along with the Prozac/First Lady's thread.

Where is this please :rahrah -I want ra-ra, Ive looked back 6 pages and can"t find it :rofl

randy
09-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Here ya go Poodles!

http://bardscoliseum.com/showthread.php?t=127

Poodles
09-25-2005, 12:41 PM
:thumbsup -Thanks Randy-

Peregrina
09-26-2005, 12:40 AM
:rofl trouble you always make me laugh.