PDA

View Full Version : McCain Tosses Hat in Ring.

Bard
09-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Updated: 02:58 PM EDT
Prisoner Abuse Hurts U.S. Image, McCain Says

WASHINGTON (Sept. 25) - Sen. John McCain said Sunday that abuse of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. soldiers, alleged anew in a report and under investigation again by the Army, is hurting the nation's image abroad.

"We've got to have it stopped," McCain, R-Ariz., said on "This Week" on ABC. "I don't know if these allegations are true or not, but they have to be investigated."

Human Rights Watch issued a report Friday based on interviews with a captain and two sergeants who served in a battalion of the 82nd Airborne Division stationed at a military base near Fallujah. The report alleged that Army soldiers systematically tortured Iraqi detainees from 2003 into 2004, hitting them with baseball bats and dousing them with chemicals.

The Army says it has opened an investigation into a soldier's allegations that he witnessed and heard about widespread prisoner abuse, including torture and a beating with a baseball bat, while serving at a base in Iraq.

McCain acknowledged that the captain in the Human Rights Watch report had contacted his staff, which McCain said was conducting its own investigation.

McCain, who was held prisoner during the Vietnam War, has proposed an amendment to the defense bill to make interrogation techniques outlined in the Army field manual standard for treatment of all detainees in the Defense Department's custody. Another change he has proposed would expressly prohibit cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment of those in U.S. custody no matter where they are held.

"We've got to make it clear to the world that American doesn't do it. It's not about prisoners. It's about us," he said.

09/25/05 13:01 EDT

momahedger
09-25-2005, 04:02 PM
this is what I would expect from him and why I would vote for him if he ran. having been a pow he has a sense of what should not be done. and I agree with the quote from him, it is not about the prisoners, it is about us.

now I also still stand by what I said, that to get the job done and to get the information that we need and want, sometimes what is socially acceptable can not be done. it has to be done the hard way. :file the intelligent community was blamed for 9/11 and there were failures, but it has to be known that to deal with some of these groups, you cannot be mr nice guy. they will despise you and think you as weak and you will not gain anything from them. the risk that undercover people go through is also to be recognised. they are not handled gently. they put their lives on the line to get us what they can. and then we have to act on it.

not a job I would want to do or have our son do. but someone has to do that.

Jannilu
09-25-2005, 04:17 PM
this is what I would expect from him and why I would vote for him if he ran.

I used to admire him. Even considered voting for him. Never again, after he sold out & stomped for junior. He disagrees with GWB on just about everything, but he campaigned for him 'cuz he was Republican and felt he needed to "stick with his party". What the fuck?? I don't stick with a democrat, if I disagree with him on everything.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Voting based on one issue is always a bad idea, and is why we end up with bad presidents nearly every time.

Each candidate every election year, picks an issue, pushes it, polarizes the country, and the elections come down to an issue or two.

Don't throw your cards into McCain's hat, until he can give you a nice outline of his Entire platform first.

momahedger
09-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I used to admire him. Even considered voting for him. Never again, after he sold out & stomped for junior. He disagrees with GWB on just about everything, but he campaigned for him 'cuz he was Republican and felt he needed to "stick with his party". What the fuck?? I don't stick with a democrat, if I disagree with him on everything. :amen

You have a good point. I am registered as a republican but there are a couple of democrats that I would vote for if they would run. I like Edwards and then there is a new senator for Il that I like (I think that is the state).

but you know sometimes if either side really does not offer a whole lot, I go with the platform. not the person and I have to say that neither bush nor kerry really appealed to me or my hubby but the republican platform is a little bit closer to how we feel than the democratic one. pros and cons it was close though.

what it cames down with us is the history of either party with the military. I donot think we actually knew for certain how we were going to vote until we went into the booth. city wide we split the ticket alot. :cool

momahedger
09-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Voting based on one issue is always a bad idea, and is why we end up with bad presidents nearly every time.

Each candidate every election year, picks an issue, pushes it, polarizes the country, and the elections come down to an issue or two.

Don't throw your cards into McCain's hat, until he can give you a nice outline of his Entire platform first.
:amen we cross posted Mr Lemon. you are right. we never do. if you can get the parties to actually talk about their plans :laugh and then realise that perhaps only 50% will actually be kept as a promise :laugh but from what I have seen of McCain, I like him. but yes,I do need to knwo more. :file

we actually voted against the having a referendum for gay marriage. so that issue that got polarised, we chose to vote against Bushs stand on it. :shrug

clemiedog
09-26-2005, 04:30 AM
I really wanted McCain in 2000. Contributed to his campaign. I think he would have been a reasonably honest leader and a good President. Instead he got his balls busted by those dirty fuckers behind the Bush campaign. I was stunned that such an inept, unqualified, shallow, torpid, small fraction of a man such as Bush could win.

Lyn Is Snide
09-26-2005, 07:35 AM
I really wanted McCain in 2000.

You're certainly not the only one, Clemie. I'm sure he would win a presidential election in a landslide. Regardless of his support of Bush, he's a maverick, therefore the conservative powers that be will never be behind him.

whiteclouder
09-26-2005, 08:14 AM
I really wanted McCain in 2000. Contributed to his campaign. I think he would have been a reasonably honest leader and a good President. Instead he got his balls busted by those dirty fuckers behind the Bush campaign. I was stunned that such an inept, unqualified, shallow, torpid, small fraction of a man such as Bush could win.

A mediocre Republican will kick the ass of the best the democrats can dredge off the bottom. Get Used To It!

McCain is a loser in his own eyes, so how can he be an effective leader?

Cloud..