PDA

View Full Version : Who Smokes Dope?

Bard
09-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I think fifty percent of America does, but they keep it a hush hush secret, because of the fact, that they are paranoid,

Because..

Big brother is watching!

If, that is the case....

I'm thinking we are not quite free enough in America??

Or, are we still intimidated by our peers, not approving?

Are we EVER going to come out of the closet on this issue I ask?

Bard
09-26-2005, 03:30 PM
A good thread already in progress on the question of legalization
:thankyou
http://bardscoliseum.com/showthread.php?t=94

I'd like to deal with the peer pressure question mainly on this thread.

And closet tokers :winky

Bard
09-26-2005, 03:35 PM
I also wanted a separate thread, in order to merely play with my smoke icons, :rofl

Without disturbing the seriousness of the other thread, hence offending the many good contributions, and serious contributers :thumbsup

http://members.aol.com/fire7/pipe

Bard
09-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, I know the Bard is juvenile, he enjoys life in that lane.

http://members.aol.com/fire7/legalize

basca
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't. I haven't even smoked 1 cigarette in my life. My dad has smoked since he was 10 or 12 and every morning I woke up hearing him do the lovely smokers hack cough. I didn't want to end up like that, so I decided not to even try it.

However, I do know several people that do smoke pot, I just choose not to. (think big brother will like that response? :D )

Bard
09-26-2005, 03:40 PM
If you gottem, smoke em.

http://members.aol.com/fire7/smoke

Bard
09-26-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't. I haven't even smoked 1 cigarette in my life. My dad has smoked since he was 10 or 12 and every morning I woke up hearing him do the lovely smokers hack cough. I didn't want to end up like that, so I decided not to even try it.

However, I do know several people that do smoke pot, I just choose not to. (think big brother will like that response? :D )

I can only applaud & salute you, for your good sense and judgement basca.

Because truth be known, the results of both, are devasting to ones lungs, who played too hard, for too many years. :sad

Bard
09-26-2005, 03:45 PM
That is why the Bards drug of choice today are pain pills.

:rofl

Bard
09-26-2005, 03:50 PM
And GOOD bud, just, on ocassions :happy

http://members.aol.com/fire7/bong

Snuffy
09-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Nope, I don't smoke it.

Buckeye1sid
09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
I've already reported you to the proper authorities, Bard. They said I'd get a reward.
Bosco, there is no virtue in never having done something. You must do it, stop it, find Jesus, and write a book.
Legalize and taxisize. Down with big brother.

Bard
09-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Nope, I don't smoke it.

Well, do you at LEAST have the wherewithall to score some if the Bard ever comes to visit? :wtf

PurpleButterfly
09-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Used to, up until I quit cigarettes this past April.
Plan to start again when the time comes.

:thumbsup

browneyedK
09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Ummm...havent in awhile..but I do miss it!

Lol..the last time I did..we introduced it to a friend of mine, she was all game..BUT...she didn't handle it very well. She as a matter of fact..freaked out on us. I remember my DH trying to tell her she's ok..while a friend of mine and I lay on the floor laughing so hard we were hysterical. It was very memorable.

Needless to say....no more for her. Not even any mention of it.

Hehehehehe....what fun! :rofl

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-26-2005, 04:25 PM
I used to smoke it a LOT. Every kind. Kind, Tai, Maui Wowee (my favorite), Northern lights, ect. ect.

I stopped awhile ago ecause the frequency was geting old. I'll smoke it again someday when i feel like it.

I'ts great for unwinding, and a good time.

I thought for a second i was smoking some just now with that orange font i can barely see.

Wolfhoundowner
09-26-2005, 04:41 PM
I tried one of my mom's regular cigarettes ONCE when I was about 16. Gack. I had no idea how someone actually becomes a smoker! It was like sucking on the tailpipe of a car!

I've never tried pot. Never had it offered to me, and probably wouldn't have tried it even if I had. Too scared.

browneyedK
09-26-2005, 04:51 PM
OOopppss..sorry about that orange font ...

:thud

bagbalm
09-26-2005, 04:55 PM
All I have to do here is open my window. The downstairs neighbor smokes so much it smells like a rope factory burning down.
As far as scoring it in this neighborhood the median income is 80k something - you call and they deliver to your door and expect a tip.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-26-2005, 04:55 PM
S'okay brown K. I generally like Orange, especially when they're in the form of little orange hairs on me pot.

browneyedK
09-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Hehehehehe....I hear ya! :lolup

Blackeyedpeas
09-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I tried smoking a little grass some years back and got so bloody sick, that I vowed never to do that again. I smoked cigs until about 6 years or so ago. Quit cold turkey and now can't stand the stench of them. I found Jesus, so now I guess I best get started on that novel. :thud

:lolup

giiglehoot
09-26-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't know what my peers would think. At our age, I don't believe they would really give a shit one way or the other. Just as long as I didn't share details with them.

However, the drug laws would be my biggest concern. Simply ridiculous, they are. I don't want to risk my freedom nor anyone else's doing me a favor. Besides, I am more worried about my professional reputation than peer pressure.

Plus, as the parent of a teenager, how does one smoke pot and preach at their child not to. And kids have so much more to lose -- including scholarships, grants and loans for college. Even paraphernalia prevents your kid from qualifying for any of this. (Now this gets me off on a separate soapbox about how rich kids don't have to worry about scholarships, loans, grants, etc. So your average kid that makes a mistake at 16 is SCREWED from any type of financial aid -- probably when he needs it the most. I can go on and on. Sigh)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with growing for personal use. I don't want to deal with smarmy, unreliable drug dealers. Sorry, I don't know the ones that deliver. I would tip nicely though. LOL. But, now don't ask me how I know this, at my age, it's hard as hell to find a pot dealer. If I did decide to toke, who would I ask? My son's friends? My mom's friends? There's this in-between age. I do find it a delightful secret when I discover someone I know that does smoke pot. In a wicked way, it gives me faith. LOL.

forestfairy
09-26-2005, 06:16 PM
I used to alot (several times a day) but had to cut down because of asthma. I still do once in awhile. I love it, much more than drinking. Most of my friends, family, and coworkers know. I've never been very secretive about it. I know some people can't handle being regular smokers, but I managed to graduate from college with honors, always have good jobs, and pay my bills while being a big pothead. :flowers

stinky*felix
09-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Well, this explains a lot.

PurpleButterfly
09-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Uh oh, we've been found out by the sanctimonious one.

:rofl

giiglehoot
09-26-2005, 06:30 PM
And for great emotes, don't forget adorable http://p221.ezboard.com/bprospectplace

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/prospectplace/forum%20emoticons/misc/pp_misc_161.gif

Bard
09-26-2005, 06:32 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BohenGallery/TheBardsColiseumIconShow/cupofshutthefuckup.jpg

PurpleButterfly
09-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky*felix

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BohenGallery/TheBardsColiseumIconShow/cupofshutthefuckup.jpg

I can only presume it would HELP her disposition Bard......lol. It's not like anything could make it WORSE.

:D

giiglehoot
09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I see an underline, I expect a link attached. Maybe I'm just high. :rofl

PurpleButterfly
09-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I see an underline, I expect a link attached. Maybe I'm just high. :rofl

:rofl :laugh :rofl :laugh

Bard
09-26-2005, 06:36 PM
The same folks that bitch about pot, often are the same folks that drink daily, as well as have various and numerable percriptions availbale for their, Valium, Vicodin, Percadan, etc etc, not to mention the pharamceutical speed, (black beauties) the doctor prescribes for their weight problem.

All MORE dangerous than pot.

Talk about the height of hypocrisy.

Geez Louise

You belong in the "Reefer Madness" era.

giiglehoot
09-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Who Smokes Dope?

Where do you think my name comes from? Now feed me! :rofl

PurpleButterfly
09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
The same folks that bitch about pot, often are the same folks that drink daily, as well as have various and numerable percriptions availbale for their, Valium, Vicodin, Percadan, etc etc, not to mention the pharamceutical speed, (black beauties) the doctor prescribes for their weight problem.

All MORE dangerous than pot.

Talk about the height of hypocrisy.

Geez Louise

You belong in the "Reefer Madness" era.

:lolup

You DO know you'll get an emphatic denial to ALL that, right Bard?

OK, I'll leave her in y'alls capable hands. Off to bed here.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Meh, leave stinky alone, maybe what she said was a joke maybe not. But why three posts by three different people all in arms because her statment may insinuate she doesnt like pot or the idea of smoking it?

Who cares, nothing to get frazzled about.

stinky*felix
09-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks Mr Lemonpocket.

Being insulted by drug addicts doesn't bother me in the least. :file

Bard
09-26-2005, 06:44 PM
None are frazzled in the least I assure you, nor up in arms. :happy

Bard
09-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Now perhaps you see the uncouth nature of the poster in question Lemon, she merely posts to incite, and make the thread ALL about her. :thumbsup

forestfairy
09-26-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm in total agreement with ya Bard. I'm sick of people preaching against pot, then getting wasted on booze and beating the shit out of each other at the bar. Every other substance out there, legal or not, has f*cked people's lives up more than pot. You can get more screwed up from sniffin glue. :banghead

Bard
09-26-2005, 06:50 PM
This brow-beating has been brought to you by the Secular-Stinky preacher
With the big ass MOTE in both eyes!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BohenGallery/TheBardsColiseumIconShow/39b8d00e.gif

stinky*felix
09-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Now perhaps you see the uncouth nature of the poster in question Lemon, she merely posts to incite, and make the thread ALL about her. :thumbsup Me, uncouth? Because I do not have to anesthetize myself to face my life? Because I think that people who do so are one of the core problems with society?

That is why the Bards drug of choice today are pain pills.
You and Rush, eh?

Bard
09-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Fairy,

I agree, booze is MUCH more dangerous, as well, as being a very destructive and violent drug.

In ALL my 54 years, I have yet to see a guy buzzed on pot, want to be violent.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Watch it stinky, although it isn't the best thing for people to jump from you not liking to drugs to bringing up people who drink and thier shortcomings in an almost insinuation sort of deal.

It is also not a good idea to assume anyone who does not have the absolute prudish outlook you have concerning drugs as a drug addict.

Some people smoke to unwind, some people smoke to escape, som smoke for a good time once in a while, some people advocate other's people rights to do whatever they want with thier body.

I'm all for opinions but judgements from EITHER side are born of a temporary lack of intelligence.

giiglehoot
09-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Look what happens to women when they drink too much. This wouldn't happen on pot. :laugh

1. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHERE MY PURSE IS. (Cigarettes, lighter, drink, keys, whatever)

2. I BELIEVE THAT DANCING WITH MY ARMS OVERHEAD AND WIGGLING MY
BUTT WHILE YELLING "WOO-HOO!" IS TRULY THE SEXIEST DANCE MOVE AROUND.

3. I'VE SUDDENLY DECIDED I WANT TO KICK SOMEONE'S ASS AND HONESTLY
BELIEVE I COULD DO IT TOO.

4. IN MY LAST TRIP TO PEE, I REALIZE I NOW LOOK MORE LIKE A HOMELESS
HOOKER THAN THE GODDESS I WAS JUST FOUR HOURS AGO.

5. I DROP MY 3:00 A.M. SUBMARINE SANDWICH ON THE FLOOR (WHICH I'M
EATING EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT THE LEAST BIT HUNGRY), PICK IT UP AND
CARRY ON EATING IT.

6. I START CRYING AND TELLING EVERYONE I SEE THAT I LOVE THEM SOOOOO
MUCH.

7. I GET EXTREMELY EXCITED AND JUMP UP AND DOWN EVERY TIME A NEW
SONG PLAYS BECAUSE "OH MY GOD! I LOVE THIS SONG!"

8. I'VE FOUND A DEEPER/SPIRITUAL SIDE TO THE GEEK SITTING NEXT TO ME.

9. THE MAN I'M FLIRTING WITH USED TO BE MY 5TH GRADE TEACHER.

10. THE URGE TO TAKE OFF ARTICLES OF CLOTHING, STAND ON A TABLE AND
SING OR DANCE BECOMES STRANGELY OVERWHELMING.

11. MY EYES JUST DON'T SEEM TO WANT TO STAY OPEN ON THEIR OWN SO I
KEEP THEM HALF CLOSED AND THINK IT LOOKS EXOTICALLY SEXY.

12. I'VE SUDDENLY TAKEN UP SMOKING AND BECOME REALLY GOOD AT IT.

13. I YELL AT THE BARTENDER, WHO (I THINK) CHEATED ME BY GIVING ME
JUST LEMONADE, BUT THAT'S JUST BECAUSE I CAN NO LONGER TASTE THE
GIN.

14. I THINK I'M IN BED, BUT MY PILLOW FEELS STRANGELY LIKE THE KITCHEN
FLOOR

15. I START EVERY CONVERSATION WITH A BOOMING, "DON'T TAKE THIS THE
WRONG WAY BUT..."
16. I FAIL TO NOTICE THAT THE TOILET LID'S DOWN WHEN I SIT ON IT.

17. MY HUGS BEGIN TO RESEMBLE WRESTLING TAKE-DOWN MOVES.

18. I'M TIRED SO I JUST SIT ON THE FLOOR (WHEREVER I HAPPEN TO BE STANDING) AND TAKE A QUICK NAP.

19. I BEGIN LEAVING THE BUTTONS OPEN ON MY BUTTON FLY PANTS TO CUTDOWN ON THE TIME I'M IN THE BATHROOM AWAY FROM MY DRINK.

20. I TAKE MY SHOES OFF BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT'S THEIR FAULT THAT I'M
HAVING PROBLEMS WALKING STRAIGHT.

giiglehoot
09-26-2005, 07:04 PM
21. I get on the internet and think EVERYONE will be enlightened by my sudden insighfulness and intelligence.

stinky*felix
09-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Watch it stinky, although it isn't the best thing for people to jump from you not liking to drugs to bringing up people who drink and thier shortcomings in an almost insinuation sort of deal.

It is also not a good idea to assume anyone who does not have the absolute prudish outlook you have concerning drugs as a drug addict.

Some people smoke to unwind, some people smoke to escape, som smoke for a good time once in a while, some people advocate other's people rights to do whatever they want with thier body.

I'm all for opinions but judgements from EITHER side are born of a temporary lack of intelligence.

We don't live in a vacuum. Life is full of judgements.

I brought up people who drink?? I must have missed that.

But since you asked - I do not object to alcohol. People can have a drink with dinner or after work, and be perfectly rational. I just object to those who abuse it.

When someone takes drugs, they jump from the "one drink" state right to the 3+. That's the idea, isn't it - to get high?

I work around children all day. Which message would you prefer I give them?

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-26-2005, 07:38 PM
You didnt mention drinking. I was referring to those who did in response to you stating you dont like drugs.

I would rather you didn't drink or smoke or give a child any message that any form of intoxication is a good thing. There is no lesser of evils on that.

I didn't ask, but since you didn't either, people can also smoke a J after dinner as well and be perfectly rational.

Bard
09-26-2005, 08:19 PM
We were not talking about children however, that is merely how Stinky diverts.

We were talking about adults.

But, since the topic of young people has been brought into it,

I will say this, children should be taught to chase the natural life of high.

Yet, let me point out, most kids first drug is NOT pot, it is booze, given to them in sips at a young age, at special fuctions, or a sip of Daddys beer while watching TV.

It is parents that OFTEN, first turn their kids on to their first drug, being alcahol.

stinky*felix
09-26-2005, 08:36 PM
We were not talking about children however, that is merely how Stinky diverts.

We were talking about adults. Do as I say, not as I do? I thought that went out with the 50s.

But, since the topic of young people has been brought into it,

I will say this, children should be taught to chase the natural life of high.

Yet, let me point out, most kids first drug is NOT pot, it is booze, given to them in sips at a young age, at special fuctions, or a sip of Daddys beer while watching TV.

It is parents that OFTEN, first turn their kids on to their first drug, being alcahol. In some cases.

The majority of children are turned onto drugs by their peers, or older friends or siblings.

Rabbit392
09-26-2005, 09:33 PM
"The majority of children are turned onto drugs by their peers, or older friends or siblings."

No, the majority of children are turned onto drugs because they have an insecure home life without parental limits.

Involved, loving and caring parents set limits and enforce them. That means no drinking, drugs or either combined with driving. And then back that up with consequences.

And I find nothing wrong with a voting age adult deciding what vice they choose to enjoy, if at all. As long as their use does not endanger others or harm others, it's their body and their choice.

Bard
09-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Most young folk get their first drink at home, or out of their families refrig or parents liqour cabinet, or peers parents, or Uncles, or older brothers, booze cabinet, and often, their first drugs, come from the families medicine cabinet as well.

Fifty percent IMO, of most kids got their first sip of beer or wine, or pills, from their parents or immediate family.

I dare say few would deny it.

Peregrina
09-26-2005, 10:31 PM
actually my dislike of alcohol and drugs comes from watching my uncles drink and get high when I was a child.

I'm the permanent designated driver. no one even has to ask, I'll always be the one to make sure everyone gets home safe - or bed safely, lol. it's their choice, just like it's mine to abstain.

Yorkshire Lass
09-27-2005, 01:10 AM
I've never smoked anything directly, although I've inhaled a lot of second-hand tobacco smoke when visiting my FIL. What smoking has done and is doing to him is enough to put me off for life. :ohwell

Drinking - yes I drink. Used to be able to drink all sorts of stuff when I was at university and then suddenly I started to get ill after only a couple of drinks. Most times one glass a night is all I have now, and nothing if I'm driving. (Snuffy may not believe this, but I am telling the truth, honest! :happy )

Chris

Jannilu
09-27-2005, 03:18 AM

...and sometimes the lack of intelligence is a permanent condition.

I wish I could have an occasional joint, but I would need an immediate inhaler treatment.
I did enjoy it, did not abuse it, and do miss it! :o

Snuffy
09-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Drinking - yes I drink. Used to be able to drink all sorts of stuff when I was at university and then suddenly I started to get ill after only a couple of drinks. Most times one glass a night is all I have now, and nothing if I'm driving. (Snuffy may not believe this, but I am telling the truth, honest! :happy )

Chris

:) I believe you, you've never given me a reason not to! I had two drinks at each of my older daughters weddings but that's all in the last twenty-one years. No comment about the years prior to that though. :ohwell

bagbalm
09-27-2005, 05:19 AM
Speaking of intoxication and function-

I worked with some serious pot heads - and they would be so stoned they had to sit on a stool to run their machine and still kept cranking out good parts in tolerance. Because running a milling machine or lath for aero-space work is a pretty high function ( no pun intended ) I was surprised. None ever had an on job injury either.

If you have problems smoking you can put the pot in food. I have a friend with MS and it's the only thing that gets rid of her leg cramps. She said it hits you slower and lasts longer eaten.

Bleep
09-27-2005, 08:09 AM
The cultures of marijuana use and alcohol use are quite a bit different.

It is perfectly acceptable to to use alcohol moderately in public places like restaurants and sports arenas. It is perfectly acceptable to start children sipping a little wine or beer to allow them to safely experience minor effects of it and also to observe how alcohol can be used appropriately. It is perfectly acceptable, some studies say even healthy, to have a moderate amount of alcohol every day ( for the purposes of medical studies, a moderate amount is defined as a single drink for ladies and two drinks for men). You will never get a permanent criminal record for having a sealed bottle of booze in your car or on your person. heck, you can even brew your own in minor amounts and its all normal and acceptable to all except the most rabid of teetotallers. Even getting blind drunk on rare occassions is acceptable to most people.

Not so marijuana. Moderate use is not defined. If someone has a couple of tokes after supper to unwind, they are deemed an addict and medically considered a heavy user for the purposes of most studies. if they have the crushed out, forgotten roach end in their jacket pocket when they go through an airport security check, they will be arrested and probably incarcerated. If they try and teach their children about what might be safe or appropriate use of marijuana, they will be labeled abusive parents. People who toke must remain secretive, even to their famiies, but especially to employers, teachers of their children and any social agency that might be involved. God forbid someone should have a few plants in their garden- then they are also a pusher and provider of evil drugs to the masses and will certainly be icnarcerated for their agricultural efforts ( not that it takes any effort, I'm told- its the reason its called a weed).

Any amount, no matter how small, of marijuana use makes you a criminal. This is just plain wrong. Bard thinks half the population tokes on occassion- probably true of the west coast state he lives in, and certainly true of the island I live on. So half the population are closet criminals. What kind of lesson is that to teach our kids?

Bleep
09-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Regarding delivery systems of drugs. You can eat, drink, smoke, snort, inject IV, inject IM, use a rectal suppository, or spread drugs on your skin for absorption.

Addiction potential of most drugs is primarily related to three things:
- the half life of the drug ( i.e. how long it lasts in your body)
- the perceived euphoriant effects ( the "kick")
-the delivery system

In general, the faster the delivery system, the shorter the half life and the bigger the kick, the more addictive the drug. The delivery system is related to the "kick", the faster the delivery, the bigger the kick. Of course, some drugs, like cocaine, have a bigger kick anyway, but if you eat cocaine, it won't be near as pleasurable as smoking, snorting or injecting IV. In general the shorter the half life, the more quickly addiction will occur. Crack (freebase) cocaine has the shortest half life, on the order of a few minutes, and is known to be the most quickly addictive drug when also delivered by a fast delivery system like smoking or snorting.

Smoking delivers the fastest. Faster than IV injection which is second. Snorting, rectal suppositories and sucking something under the tongue are probably third, followed by eating, IM injection and skin contact. Fortunately, weed has such a long half life that addiction is long in coming ( but just as certain in long term regular use) compared to cocaine.

Marijuana's relatively mild euphoriant effects are enhanced by smoking. Eating it dampens the euphoriant effects and spreads them out over many hours. People talk about a "body stone" being prominent for eating weed which is likely the muscle relaxant effects. Anyone using the drug for muscle spasticity ( leg cramps, irritable bowel, etc), pain control or other medicinal effects will prolong those desired benefits by eating it. Smoking it only increases the euphoriant effects without enhancing the medical benefits. Which is why I said originally, I can't tell the recreational users from the medicinal users-99% of ther equests I've gotten for medicial marijuana script have been from people who refuse to eat it and insist smoking is the only way to go. :hmph

TwiggyAZ
09-27-2005, 08:59 AM
there is no virtue in never having done something. You must do it, stop it, find Jesus, and write a book.

Thank you for that!!!I think I might puke if I see one more famous person on the boob tube(bettcha havent heard that for a while!) and tell their "amazing" story of how they couldn't handle the fame and fortune, turned to drugs, hit bottom, found Jesus, and now want to let the world know they are writing a book, a play, a movie, everything about themselves and their "amazing" life that absolutely no one else has ever experienced!!! Give me a freaking break!!! PLEASE, rich and famous, no more "I found myself" stories!! Show me the money!!!!

I distinctly remember the last time I smoked. August 21, 2002. HE had just called and dumped my ass.

I'll smoke again sometime, I'm sure!! :D

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Meh, leave stinky alone, maybe what she said was a joke maybe not. But why three posts by three different people all in arms because her statment may insinuate she doesnt like pot or the idea of smoking it?

Who cares, nothing to get frazzled about.

I KNOW Stinky, and I KNOW what she meant.
She's above ALL of us, just ask her, she'll tell you.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Does her feeling above you or anyone else really bother you that much?

A perch of superiority, fabricated or genuine, is a lonely place. Let her throw down her tomatoes. Just catch them, make a salad, and move on.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 09:35 AM
No it doesn't Lemon, it's actually humorous all things considered.

And since this was posted on ANOTHER thread, I'll bring it here for all to see:

Something that might merit a discussion I guess would be WHY people get high?

At one point in my life, it was the ONLY thing that helped with my insomnia. Popping a half a dozen Sominex sure didn't do the trick, and was MUCH more harmful. That's all the stuff does to me is put me to sleep.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 11:15 AM
After reviewing this discussion no less than 3 times, I can safely say there is not one drug addict posting on this thread.

:rahrah :rahrah :rahrah :rahrah :rahrah :rahrah :rahrah :rahrah :rahrah

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 11:19 AM
You're wrong about that one sweety.

I was heavy into many things back in school, and really marvel at how i got out with a degree, and some sanity.

These days i stay away from everything, though im sure i will hit some pot once again in the future.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Are you one NOW?

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Have you ever heard the saying, once an alcholoic always an alcoholic? Whether you're drinking at the moment or not, its generally accepted that it's best to think in terms that you are and always will be a drunk, to keep yourself away from it.

I think the same way with drugs. I think if i were to say, blow a line of coke tonight for old times sake, one line would become two, and three, and so on.

So yes. I am.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 11:32 AM
See, I have a different experience with it then I guess.

I was into things 20+ years ago that I wonder how I even LIVED thru, much less never got caught and wound up with a record.

However, if that same stuff was sitting in front of me today, I'd walk away.
(And I have been in that situation in the last couple of years and did just that.)

So, I'm NOT a drug addict, because I beat it, I can walk away from it.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 11:37 AM
I can walk away, and have. But if i didnt, i would not be anything resembling a casual user.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I can walk away, and have. But if i didnt, i would not be anything resembling a casual user.

See, the underlined part is not even in my equation. It's a no-brainer, I'd be outta there.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Some people are stronger willed than others, some need to keep the label to not become the requisites for the label in deed.

Sure, I wont walk into a room and say "Hi, I'm Mr. Lemon, a huge drug addict"

But I will keep that in my mind to keep from becoming a practitioner of addict's rituals. It's how i keep from it, it works for me.

I leave it because I'm afraid of what will happen if i don't. You leave because you know you're not an addict.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Some people are stronger willed than others, some need to keep the label to not become the requisites for the label in deed.

Sure, I wont walk into a room and say "Hi, I'm Mr. Lemon, a huge drug addict"

But I will keep that in my mind to keep from becoming a practitioner of addict's rituals. It's how i keep from it, it works for me.

I leave it because I'm afraid of what will happen if i don't. You leave because you know you're not an addict.

And we're both worthy people BECAUSE of it.

:thumbsup

Wolfhoundowner
09-27-2005, 05:14 PM
I was given my first drink at about 12 years of age at a party at my family's house. Mom was making daiquiris, and when I saw her blend the strawberries, I asked if I could have one. She said I could taste a small one, but I wouldn't like it.

She was right.

So she made me a virgin daiquiri!

I asked to try Dad's beer when I was 14. He handed me the bottle with the warning, 'You won't like it.'

He was right.

I had always been allowed, under my parents' (or older siblings') supervision, to try any kind of drink I wanted. What I discovered was that I don't much care for the taste of alcohol. For me, the weaker the drink the better -- and it doesn't take much more than one or two to get me drunk.

What's my point? My point is that since my parents didn't freak out about me trying alcohol, I didn't feel the need to force it down at every opportunity until I puked. Or worse.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Wolfie, your posts just make too much sense............lol.

:laugh

Wolfhoundowner
09-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Wolfie, your posts just make too much sense............lol.

:laugh

Well, I'm going to take that as a compliment, Pinned -- even though you had that ROFL smiley there that could mean you're makin' fun of me....but I doubt it :happy

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, I'm going to take that as a compliment, Pinned -- even though you had that ROFL smiley there that could mean you're makin' fun of me....but I doubt it :happy

No, NO FUN intended. It was tongue in cheek and a true compliment.

:cool

giiglehoot
09-27-2005, 07:25 PM
I was given my first drink at about 12 years of age at a party at my family's house. Mom was making daiquiris, and when I saw her blend the strawberries, I asked if I could have one. She said I could taste a small one, but I wouldn't like it.

She was right.

So she made me a virgin daiquiri!

I asked to try Dad's beer when I was 14. He handed me the bottle with the warning, 'You won't like it.'

He was right.

I had always been allowed, under my parents' (or older siblings') supervision, to try any kind of drink I wanted. What I discovered was that I don't much care for the taste of alcohol. For me, the weaker the drink the better -- and it doesn't take much more than one or two to get me drunk.

What's my point? My point is that since my parents didn't freak out about me trying alcohol, I didn't feel the need to force it down at every opportunity until I puked. Or worse.

EXCELLENT point. It was no big deal. You grew up around alcohol. It wasn't a whole new adventure to twist off in.

I made sure my children knew the importance of a designated driver. Once they got their license, when I had drinks with dinner, I expected them to drive home. When we went to a friend's house and knew we would be having cocktails, my kids took us. When they were younger, they liked to stay and hang around. As they got older, they would drop us off, go visit with their own friends, then pick me back up. They loved their curfew -- when their parents were ready to go home. Midnight, 1am, 2 am, whenever. LOL. On occasion, they even ended up being the designated driver amongst their own peer group (unfortunately). Once, my son had to explain to me why he got up so early one Sunday morning to clean the puke out of my car. The night before, he literally drug some drunk girl out of a party because he was worried about her, and she puked in my car on the way home. I was proud and disgusted at the same time. LOL.

Same with guns. OMG -- I'm turning the thread here. I am SO bad to do that, LOL. but it's the same thing. I grew up in Texas. In highschool, every guy had a pickup with a gunrack in the back window. Some even had shotguns in the gunrack. On campus. No big deal. Come September, (dove season) EVERYONE had a shotgun or 3 in the gun rack - you never know when you'll want to pull over and kill a bird. And who DIDN'T have handguns. You learned early where the safety was. Texas manners include NEVER pointing a gun at someone, even in play. Personally, I have never really cared for guns, even though I was a good shot shooting prongs out of a plastic fork stuck in a barbed wire fence. LMAO. In my part of the world, you're going to deal with guns. It's when the bubbas get drunk and go shooting jackrabbits after the bars close I get worried!

lake brat
09-27-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm probably one of the "oldsters" :old here (Bard's age+ a few), could tell plenty of "been there, done that" stories. I was raised in a totally non-drinking, non-smoking family. When I got out of HS and on my own I hit the booze big time and moved on to try anything I could smoke or swallow in the drug department from pot to LSD. I smoked pot regularly thru 2 different time periods in my life. About 10 years again it started making me sick to my stomach and that was the end of that. Personally, I LIKE to drink, always have, but is not a "have to" thing.

Both of my adult kids had the opportunity to drink at home as teenagers and did and neither have had any problems with alcohol or drugs. I sometimes think that my excesses might not have happened if there had been any input from my parents when I was a teen at home. Surprisingly, my parents never told me *not* to drink or smoke cigarettes, just let me make my own messes! :thud

lake brat

Bleep
09-28-2005, 07:46 AM
lakebrat, near as I can tell I'm up there too, within the same decade anyway. In my family, even children had a teensy glass of maneshewitz desert wine to toast Christmas and new years and weddings- maybe all of a tablespoon, but we had it. It was sweet, we liked it. I never liked beer, but dad and mom let me sip their wine. Since age 11 or 12, I was allowed to order one girly drink like pink ladies or tom collins on special dinners out- I rarely finished it, but was always enjoyed the flavours, and I have a fondness for liqueurs and brandies and good wines even now. My dad smoked cigarettes but quit when I was 17 or so and encouraged us not to smoke. My mom told us all about dope because she grew up in Russia where it was a folk medicine- used mainly for easing childbirth, toothache and similar pain. And she also told us that in our family, dope makes pain worse and this was a well known fact among the Russian herbalists and doctors. This has now been confirmed by medical researchers.

Now my brother, 4 years older than me , raised in the same house, went wild at 19 for a couple of years, like some young men do, and drank to excess and smoked dope and maybe did other stuff, but he gave it up pretty quick after his mid twenties- even being heavily involved in the LA music scene, if you can believe it.

Me, I "tried all that" in my early twenties while I was in my undergrad years. I smoked ciggies because everyone did and it was better to breathe filtered smoke than second hand. My psychology and psychiatry professors had worked with Tim Leary -LSD- which I studied briefly before it was made illegal- interesting duplication of psychosis. I've tried a lot of the psychiatric drugs because I have an interest in being able to tell patients firsthand what side effects they might have and how the drug will make them feel.

Now my main indulgence is a shot of tequila now and again with a friend- I bought a 26 oz bottle for my birthday in June and it wasn't finished until last week, so I am some big time drunk, huh? I don't have a problem with other people smoking dope, or even doing coke, as long as its not in my face :laugh

In our family, we certainly have the genetics for addiction- some members are hopelessly lost to alcohol and other things, fortunately not in my immediate family. But I think it was early education about the use of the things that might have kept me and my brother from going down that road. it certainly kept us from becoming regular users of anything as young teens, when the risk is highest for addiction.

Bard
09-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Play it again Sam...

Poodles
09-28-2005, 11:40 PM
I grew up with a brother who was on smack at 14-Also my sister is addict-So when Iam all toddle they”re outta their heads and horrilbe.I promised myself I wouldn’t use-some one wanted to shoot me up with smack at 15-I Ran-After operation<at 27> I got addicted to narcotic pain-killers via Doctors-Slimy-down I go-go..5 years later I get off the shit via Methadone-NO narcotics for me now-but yes the pot-I use it –It helps bump up my hunger-most women I know who are trying to over-come-eating-disorder-Well lots of them use Pot for this reason<Sure beats the shit outta the Psy.drugs they try to use>..Ive cut the smoking down to near nil-bar when Iam under stress-I don’t drink alcohol cos I just know that :ohwell it will funk me up-I do exicise lots now to off set the urges I still get for my Rug-of-Choice....Is great NOT to be chained in to addiction :amen

Bleep
09-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Poodles, I work at an Eating Disorder clinic, and last year, one of the world experts in ED came to talk to us. I asked him this question, since one of the main uses of Marinol ( RX- THC) is to promote appetite in cachectic (starving) cancer and AIDS patients. He said it has been studied in anorexia and that it doesn't cause weight gain in anorexics because there are two main systems in the brain for hunger- one in the hypothalamus or "old brain" which responds to body signals of low blood sugar, nutrient deficiency etc. This is the problem in AIDS and cancer. The other hunger system is based in the frontal lobes or "new brain" and this is the system that goes wrong in anorexia. The expert said that pot was not helpful because the anorexic has a sort of obessive thinking pattern that happens in the frontal lobes that over-rides the body signals and basically tells the hypothalamus to shut up. He said that the anorexics who use pot to increase their appetite are ones that really want to get better and that it is this cognition of theirs that makes the difference. They over-ride their own frontal lobes. And they like to get high. For those that like to get high but don't want to gain weight, pot has no effect.

But I'd like to hear more about your aquaintances' experiences!

Poodles
09-29-2005, 03:07 PM
HI ya Dr Horsefeathers - Thanks you for your post :thumbsup --Good to know there is work being done like this re-eatting disorders.Is wonderful-The Eatting disorder Unit I go-is good but they use CBT in most-Me-Ive been finding Schema Therphy great-great but hard to look at the issues that brought about MY eatting disorder.Will give a few pals this thread-they will speak for them-selves.I was surpised when I joined group just how many of them use Pot<Dak in New-Zealand> to help them eat etc.And its working for them-a long side the DBT-Schema-CBT-Eatting disordr unit here trying to bring DBT skills in to play-DBT has helped me heaps but the Schema therphy is just great.Just wanta thank-you - :flowers -ya-know-I think-I know from comments that some ppls see ANA as Ok-cos they dont see "the other side"the organs shutting down-they dont feel how hard it is to jsut get off chair-cos ya jsut feel liek passing out etc.

Will give my pals this thread link-Thakns for taking the interst. :thumbsup