PDA

View Full Version : The Good Wife

Jannilu
09-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm told this was an actual article - circa 1955.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/Jannilu/19551.gif

The pink highlighter is not mine.
How to choose amongst such pearls of wisdom?
I guess I'd have to say my favorite is the last two bullets.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/rikjan/36_20_71.gif

browneyedK
09-26-2005, 06:10 PM
"Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even gone all night."

Ummmm.....lol....his ass better not be gone all night..unless he's gone on business...

And..DOn't question HIM? Oh..P L E A S E!!!!!

Would never work in my household..outdated material..I'm afraid!!!!!

:D

Lyn Is Snide
09-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I suspect the author was not female. :rofl

browneyedK
09-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Hehehehehe..... :lolup

PurpleButterfly
Yeah, I'd like to see some man try to pull this out of his repertoire!
:lolup

Starz
Being an "old" lady... unfortunately these were the rules I grew up with. My God! We really used to do those things and believe them. My MIL ALWAYS fixed a plate for my FIL -- and he got whatever was his favorite before anyone else could touch the food. Then she put the plate at his place at the table -- nobody sat at his place either.

The "We've come a long way, baby" really means something important to me. I fear that our movement back to religious fundamentalism will erode this progress. Young women today don't truly understand where we came from.

But, hey... middle class white men could get a lot of jobs back if they could just put women and minorities back in their places.

Starz

forestfairy
09-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey, if my BF financially supported me, and I could play tennis at the club and sip tea with my girlfriends all day, I would gladly have dinner on the table every night (would probably be Red Baron 4-cheese pizza though). :thumbsup

As for the rest the "tips", yeah right. :laugh

Lyn Is Snide
09-26-2005, 07:04 PM
I must say, the following is my favorite.

"Be a little gay ( :laugh ) and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift ( :rofl ) and one of your duties is to provide it ( :clap )."

....Otherwise he might be late for dinner, or even stay out all night! :banghead

basca
09-26-2005, 07:08 PM
I've seen this before, I believe Trouble may have written it. :file

Bard
09-26-2005, 07:28 PM
But, hey... middle class white men could get a lot of jobs back if they could just put women and minorities back in their places.

Starz

I just gotta ask, where would that place be? :shrug

CooCooTheLooseScrew
09-26-2005, 07:35 PM
it's funny to me to read now... but damn if it wasn't probably take'n to heart by some women back then. that's sad.

browneyedK
09-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Yes it is...

Peregrina
09-26-2005, 09:56 PM
My dad and uncles can be chauvanistic prats, but even they don't pull this sort of nonsense with us. If they tried......well, I think the roof would probably get blown off the house by the argument that followed. Well, the argument that started after we stopped laughing. :laugh

bikerbabe
09-26-2005, 10:17 PM
I dunno what you guys have such a problem with this kind of thing. Isn't it the wife's duty to stay home and take care of her husband?

Peregrina
09-26-2005, 10:34 PM
if you're being tongue in cheek, biker, good one. if you're being serious.....it's the responsibility of each to take care of the other. it's not the responsibility of the wifey to kowtow to the husband, or the husband to the wifey. they are equals, not master and servant.

bikerbabe
09-26-2005, 11:14 PM
I was being tongue in cheek.

:winky

Grace
09-27-2005, 04:14 AM
I still see some of that going on in this day and age. Not so much, but it still happens. :winky

The way I hear some men talk to and treat women makes my skin crawl. :winky

I too have seen females ordering males to do for them too!
I see at least one woman with a "black eye" every week around here, and she will refuse to press charges, saying it happened with a fall?
grace

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Ah, the good old days. When men were men and women were in the kitchen and actually knew what to do in there. Nowdays I'm lucky if my wife will even bring me my pipe and slippers. And all the complaining, what would she do with her time if she didn't have two jobs? Ah, yes, those were the days, before they got all uppity.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 09:29 AM
:lolup

Starz
09-27-2005, 09:43 AM
To Bard --- "in their place" meant subservience to white males. You have to admit that where progress has been made for women and minorities, these jobs were formerly being filled by white middle class males. Now please don't misunderstand, I am in no way advocating a return to those standards.

Another example of my old-lady-hood -- I wanted to be a veteranarian. I am a smart person (20 years Mensa member) but I was told that "women don't do that." While I am a smart person, I was not a strong person and so I did not even try. Actually, knowing what I do today about the hazing I would have faced, I KNOW I would never have made it. Takes more than smarts to be successful.

I was led away from male dominated classes by guidance counselors -- not suitable for women or sorry you would be the only "girl" in the class.

You guys are making fun of the article, I am here to tell you that for far too many women, this was their daily life.

I'm older'n you Bard... Lots changed pretty quickly after the 50's

Starz

Bard
09-27-2005, 03:43 PM
To Bard --- "in their place" meant subservience to white males. You have to admit that where progress has been made for women and minorities, these jobs were formerly being filled by white middle class males. Now please don't misunderstand, I am in no way advocating a return to those standards.

Another example of my old-lady-hood -- I wanted to be a veteranarian. I am a smart person (20 years Mensa member) but I was told that "women don't do that." While I am a smart person, I was not a strong person and so I did not even try. Actually, knowing what I do today about the hazing I would have faced, I KNOW I would never have made it. Takes more than smarts to be successful.

I was led away from male dominated classes by guidance counselors -- not suitable for women or sorry you would be the only "girl" in the class.

You guys are making fun of the article, I am here to tell you that for far too many women, this was their daily life.

I'm older'n you Bard... Lots changed pretty quickly after the 50's

Starz

Starz,

Did you answer my original question?

Did I miss it?

Thanks for your consideration in advance.

PS, ALL us guys, were NOT laughing at the artical,

PS, I grew up in the fifties.

Nice to have you posting at the Bards :winky