PDA

View Full Version : Cindy Sheehan Arrested For Protesting

TwiggyAZ
09-27-2005, 08:22 AM
At the White House. Did ya'll see this on the news last night. She did not obtain a permit to protest. Oh wait, you CAN'T get a permit to protest in front of the white house!! But we believe in free speech, but you can't protest here, oh, and there either, or there, or there or there, or there, but you have the freedom of speech. But you can't do it there, no go away, or go to jail, cuz your in a free country and we want you to have free speech, but you need to get a permit, but it's against the law to have a permit for here, so get in the wagon, and while your in the wagon you can tell us how you feel, but don't say anything we don't want to hear, because we'll slap you with some other charge, but say what you want because this is a free speech country and we want you to be able to say what you want, oh...but not there, ok, cuz we said so.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...Deja Vu!!!

And soon Jane will be on the road with her best to began the War Protest once again and I am having flashbacks! I feel uneasy because I was in a city where I could get very involved in this during Vietnam, now I live in a military town, and work on the military base. You bet your ass you better not protest anything here!

But, it does my heart good to see that the mothers of dead soldiers are finally FINALLY pissed off enough at the fact that their sons are dying for nothing, no reason, and it will NOT be a better world because of this.

MARCH ON BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!!!

randy
09-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Lets really go back in time to the 60s. How long until the cops with the dogs and the water hoses come out? Anyone want to start a "pool" on the time line.

This is soooo wrong. People have such short memories. This really is going to be Vietnam all over again. Any thoughts on when the DRAFT will be reinstated?

momahedger
09-27-2005, 10:35 AM
:thud actually, the nation was concentrating on people who lost all of their life belongings, and have no place to lay their heads. sheehan felt that she was being ignored. oh poor baby. the nation was trying to unite somehow to help and she could not have that.

sorry, I know that this is not normally me, but she is a Jane Fonda all over again. wonder when she will invite Osamen to lunch.

but, in arresting her she has become a martyr, a symbol of civil disobedience. Now if it was the KKK who was in front of the white house, or the pro life or pro choice or any other group, they would have been treated the same. she knew what she was doing and she most likely was repeating the 70s. :cool

I have respect for other opinions, but the person needs to try and stay within the laws. unless they are discriminatory. so may the Kurdish americans protest how they are happy we are there? May shi-ites protest for support of the constitution? or would we look at them and say "where is your permit?" :thud

whiteclouder
09-27-2005, 12:48 PM
You can always go to Kent State; worked well last time.

Cloud..

stinky*felix
09-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Did you see the smile on her face as they were carrying her off?

I lost all respect for her at that moment. I think she's lost sight of her goal, and is revelling in the spotlight instead.

momahedger
09-27-2005, 01:53 PM

I lost all respect for her at that moment. I think she's lost sight of her goal, and is revelling in the spotlight instead.

that is why I feel the way that I do stinky. why I think she wanted to be back in the limelight. if she would have protested within the regs, then I would halfway respect what good she feels she is doing, but the smirk said it all to me. :thumbsup to her it seems to be a game now. the meaning that it had in the beginning now seems to be gone.

I also wondered why Jesse was there instead of trying to help the victims of Rita and Katrina. where are his priorities. the war and the troops will be there tomorrow and yes, unfortunately the dying will go on, but the hurricane victims need help NOW. :ohwell

I had finally decided that she was a grieving mother who was doing what she thought was right; does not mean I agree with her, but now I donot think that.

TwiggyAZ
09-27-2005, 02:03 PM
You think because someone is smiling when they get arrested that they have some alterior motive or are there because they LOVE having hate mail, people threatening her, threatening her family, getting death threats?

Yea, anyone who's life totally changes for the worst, first a dead son for a stupid reason, then a self-ruined life because of that. Yea...that'll make you smile because you love being on TV and want attention. :thud

Give me a freakin break.

I've been to the White House to protest....YOU CAN NOT, I REPEAT CAN NOT GET A PERMIT TO PROTEST THERE.

THAT is why she was arrested.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 04:30 PM

OMG! Stinky and I are agreeing on something.
Quick WHERE'S the calendar?!?!?!

:rahrah

She has become a puppet, nothing more. She doesn't have enough sense to be more. Her initial concerns and complaints may have been valid, but they've been tainted by those to whom she's following.

stinky*felix
09-27-2005, 04:45 PM
She has become a puppet, nothing more. She doesn't have enough sense to be more. Her initial concerns and complaints may have been valid, but they've been tainted by those to whom she's following.

Yup. I think this pretty accurately describes what has happened.

She was more credible when she staged her protests prior to getting involved with the "big guns."

As for the smiling - I thought it was highly inappropriate, especially because it was more like a smirk on her part: "I was waiting for this to happen. Thanks for the airtime."

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
[/color][/b]

Yup. I think this pretty accurately describes what has happened.

She was more credible when she staged her protests prior to getting involved with the "big guns."

As for the smiling - I thought it was highly inappropriate, especially because it was more like a smirk on her part: "I was waiting for this to happen. Thanks for the airtime."

Exactly, and as such is her puppet status.

I no doubt believe she grieves for her son, but had she kept it on the proper level, it would have been SO much more effective.

So, you're not the least bit uneasy about us agreeing on this?
Just curious. :happy

stinky*felix
09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
So, you're not the least bit uneasy about us agreeing on this?
Just curious.
Not at all. I'm really not sure why this should bother you, other than maybe you're more like me than you think and that makes you uneasy. :winky

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 04:59 PM
[/color][/b]
Not at all. I'm really not sure why this should bother you, other than maybe you're more like me than you think and that makes you uneasy. :winky

No, that's not it, considering some of the things you've posted my way.

I do confess, that I always thought you'd go against the grain no matter what, figured that was your forte.

But knowing what I DO know about you, and knowing me inside and out, we're really not much alike as far as I can tell. Time will tell I suppse.

I don't get "uneasy" on chat boards, I just leave when it's time, so that's not it.

:confused:

randy
09-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Whatever else this woman LOST her child. Stinky I believe you have children and Pin I don't recall your ever posting if you did?

As a mother you have got to have feelings for what this woman went through. I have heard it said by more than one woman to lose a child is something like an early visit to the pits of hell? I will be happy to accept a mother's opinion on this.

wintertao
09-27-2005, 07:43 PM
yawn - yet another view of the left as disgusting as Michael Moore - why can't the left get a spokesperson with some balls and some personality and some spine and some imagination? (no pun inten hehe)

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Why cant people start going

left, right,
ya left, right, left
and march forward into the center.

Meet me in the land of moderation, and perhaps more than petty directional squabbles can be accomplished.

stinky*felix
09-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Whatever else this woman LOST her child. Stinky I believe you have children and Pin I don't recall your ever posting if you did?

As a mother you have got to have feelings for what this woman went through. I have heard it said by more than one woman to lose a child is something like an early visit to the pits of hell? I will be happy to accept a mother's opinion on this.
I don't begrude Cindy her grief and anger.

I just don't care for the roadshow. It detracts from the real issue.

randy
09-27-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't begrude Cindy her grief and anger.

OK fair enough. IF as a mother you lost one of your children and in your heart of hearts you felt that it was unnecessary and was for someone else's political gain what could and would you do as a practical matter? I cannot imagine a loving mother or father for that matter being not only SUPER PISSED OFF, angry, numb with pain, with a feeling of utter and total emptiness and helplessness but also ready to KILL whoever had been responsible for their child's death.

Jannilu
09-28-2005, 03:40 AM
She has become a puppet, nothing more. She doesn't have enough sense to be more.

As for the smiling - I thought it was highly inappropriate, especially because it was more like a smirk on her part

Anyone notice these statements also perfectly describe dumya?

People see what they want to see, and spin it the way they want.

She does indeed have an agenda, and it's an honorable one, IMO.

TwiggyAZ
09-28-2005, 08:24 AM

And what would the REAL issue be?

Bleep
09-28-2005, 08:45 AM
who's cindy sheehan? :shrug

aside from someone who lost a child? :sad

Am I right that her "child" was an adult who joined the army of their own free will ?( there's no draft down there yet, is there?) And don't they kind of warn you, that joining the army, you may actually be asked to travel to interesting places to kill or be killed? :wtf

If so I sympathize with her grief, but blaming the government for another adult's choice is a bit manipulative, and protesting in front of the white house is theatrical at best, self serving at worst. We all lose loved ones. People do strange things in their grief. Maybe she'll have time to process hers a bit more if she's cooling her heels in a jail cell? :poke

StrayStar
09-28-2005, 08:49 AM
The puppeteers that pull her strings stated before the demonstration that the purpose of it was to get arrested.

She's smiling because she did good for them.

PurpleButterfly
09-28-2005, 09:00 AM
The puppeteers that pull her strings stated before the demonstration that the purpose of it was to get arrested.

She's smiling because she did good for them.

Yes, she was the perfect puppet.

Her son had just re-enlisted and informed his family that he planned on making the military his career.

TwiggyAZ
09-28-2005, 09:14 AM
In that case, I'm guessing that her plight is NOT to protest the war. She, then, is in fact, for the war, was aware that her son might die. She is not making any political statement, she is not protesting anything. Someone called her up one day and said, hey, wanna be on TV, get arrested, have death threats, and become the Jane Fonda of today? And she said, why, yes, I LOVE attention, and I can smile really well for the camera...I'll do it....YIPPEE YIPPEE!

YEA.... :wtf

Please answer the question What IS the REAL issue?

Buckeye1sid
09-28-2005, 09:17 AM
The real issue is that Mrs. Sheehan wants Bush embarrassed for being in Iraq, no WMD, no exist strategy and on and on.

randy
09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
I understand that there are political objectives both in what she is doing and on this thread, but PLEASE tell me you are not accusing this woman of NOT CARING that her son was killed????????

Buckeye1sid
09-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Ok, I won't.

PurpleButterfly
09-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I understand that there are political objectives both in what she is doing and on this thread, but PLEASE tell me you are not accusing this woman of NOT CARING that her son was killed????????

I haven't seen anyone state such a thing.

I've lost a child, before she was even born. I'm sure the grieves for her son terribly. I haven't seen anyone state other wise.

randy
09-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I could be mistaken but I was "hearing" that she was protesting for alot of reasons other than what she considered the needless death of her son. I hope I am DEAD WRONG on this one.

stinky*felix
09-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Please answer the question What IS the REAL issue? Bringing an end to the war by illustrating that American lives are being sacrificed for no recongizable purpose.

While I do not compare Cindy's actions to Jane Fonda's (as I believe someone on this thread did), the end result is the same. She is making herself into a media icon, and as such, diverting the attention to her antics rather than her true purpose.

momahedger
09-29-2005, 09:28 AM
OMG! Stinky and I are agreeing on something.
Quick WHERE'S the calendar?!?!?!

:rahrah

I was the one who referred to cindy in connection to Jane Fonda. and she is. in her won way. if given the chance she would be reconciled with the insurgents that we are in the wrong for being there. screw the other people who are being killed by the insurgents. screw the people who were being ignored and neglected by a ruling shuni dictator. screw the kurds who were being systematically killed in a genocide. :thud

well Pinned, we agree also, but alot of times we do. but this is a first. :laugh

Twiggy, then why could she not protest where other groups are allowed to protest? Is her agenda anymore important? I think not. but she want the media attention.

Jannilu, yes he smiles to at times that I do not think he should. Now, at one point of time, it was pointed out that it is not the war she is against, but she is against the military in general. any war. that was mentioned on NBC a couple of weeks back. so that means that she would be telling me that I should be ashamed of our son, and ashamed of my hubby. well, excuse me, if it was not for either of them and millions of military in the past generations, she would not be be carried off laughing, she would have been shot like the students were in the Tenement Square. she needs to remember that.

I know she is mourning her son. But so is the husband that she is neglecting and her other children are mourning their brother and missing their mom. it is time for her to go home and care for them. she is putting one child above the living ones. and she may regret that one day. we see it on tv all the time " He died and you never noticed I was still there".

I respect her as a mom in mourning. But and yes, there is always a but, her son enlisted. not drafted. it was his choice not hers. The war had been going on for some time.

IMO she never accepted that he felt different. and no matter what she says, we will never know the last few weeks he was home, she has admitted that she tried to convince him to go to canada. she has regret. But it needs to be accepted that he made his choice freely. on his own principles.

TwiggyAZ
09-29-2005, 09:45 AM
In answer to my question what IS the REAL issue:

Bringing an end to the war by illustrating that American lives are being sacrificed for no recongizable purpose

Thank you Stinky, very well stated.

Twiggy, then why could she not protest where other groups are allowed to protest? Is her agenda anymore important? I think not. but she want the media attention.

Generally momahedger, one of the objectives IS to get media attention. What better way is there to bring someone's views to the public. Just having it in your local newspaper will not do it anymore. So someone that really wants to make changes in this world, whether we like it or not, has to have the media covering their story. The media has much power, and you need to find that power. The administration, ANY administration, uses the media for their purposes, etc.

I would agree that her agenda is no more important than others and I hope other get their plight recognized also. That is up to the powers that be(the media!).

I don't believe she wants the media attention in a selfish way, she wants it in a way that Bush wants it, or anyone else wanting to be heard by many, not just a few.

momahedger
09-29-2005, 01:38 PM
twiggy,
we will just have to disagree. I disagree that the war is needless.

mismanaged, maybe, but not needless. I think and believe that Sheehan is against the military in general. IMO she is dishonoring the memory of the son who voluntarily joined and had time to think about it before he did. but that is my opinion. she said she wanted answers as to why, well she knows why. but she does not like the answer. she does not like the military and I would stake odds that she was very angry when her son joined. she has always been anti military and war.

now I am not pro war. I am pro military and pro not standing by and watching people being killed by genocide. I wish we could help more. but we all know that that cannot happen. we tried with somalia and the drug lords made it very clear that we would not succeed and the people did not support us and the troops. but in Iraq, the majority does accept our help. :file

we still have troops in Bosnia keeping the peace. I wonder how many civilians know that?

but I would never and do not mean to be putting down your opinion. I just disagree. :) and will keep praying for our troops.

TwiggyAZ
09-29-2005, 01:51 PM
but I would never and do not mean to be putting down your opinion. I just disagree.,

:thumbsup