PDA

View Full Version : There's no connection between

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 09:22 AM
The Creator and religion. Religions are wholly man made systems that attempt to regulate humanity. The Christian bible was selected by a group of men who were assembled for that purpose by Constantine. They spent so much time arguing about the nature of Christ that Constantine had to threaten to cut off funding in order to get them to select which books were to be included in the bible. The Qu'ran was not written by Muhammed, he dictated it over a period of years and it was recorded by many different scribes. The Book of Morman was shown to Joseph Smith by an Archangel and then immediately hidden under a mountain (Smith apparently had one hell of a memory).
Religion's excuse to exist is that most of them claim to be inspired by God. That's where faith comes in.
I believe in a Creator, but not in a religious system. The above is my opinion, but in case I'm wrong, I told a bunch of fundamentalists that Bard works on Sunday. Sorry, guy, but they're coming to stone you (see Liviticus). They were so impressed with my fervor that I was immediately saved.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
So you believe in a creator, do you also believe the creation story as described in the bible?

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Nope!

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 10:12 AM
So why do you believe in a creator then? And where is this creator?

randy
09-27-2005, 10:19 AM
The Creator and religion. Religions are wholly man made systems that attempt to regulate humanity. The Christian bible was selected by a group of men who were assembled for that purpose by Constantine. They spent so much time arguing about the nature of Christ that Constantine had to threaten to cut off funding in order to get them to select which books were to be included in the bible. The Qu'ran was not written by Muhammed, he dictated it over a period of years and it was recorded by many different scribes. The Book of Morman was shown to Joseph Smith by an Archangel and then immediately hidden under a mountain (Smith apparently had one hell of a memory).
Religion's excuse to exist is that most of them claim to be inspired by God. That's where faith comes in.
I believe in a Creator, but not in a religious system. The above is my opinion, but in case I'm wrong, I told a bunch of fundamentalists that Bard works on Sunday. Sorry, guy, but they're coming to stone you (see Liviticus). They were so impressed with my fervor that I was immediately saved.

EEEEEEWWWWWWWW Your are gonna BURN IN HELL for BLASPHEMY!!

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 10:22 AM
I believe that The Creator is non-corporeal thought, as opposed to a specific entity.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 10:39 AM
So how did this "thought" come into being if there was no entity to "think" it?

momahedger
09-27-2005, 10:43 AM
oh boy. well to each his own. But I believe in a creator, that yes is non corporeal but not something made up by man. The old testament which is in the Bible was long before Constantine. and apparently people were keeping things that Paul was sending followers and Peter etc.

now as one person said what is a year to us could be miniscule to Him and that is how I believe. the man made laws part I can take or leave. if it is not in the bible then it is not important. but that is me.

Blackeyedpeas
09-27-2005, 10:49 AM
I work on Sunday. I don't believe it to be wrong. I do believe in a creator and I do believe that the Holy Bible is just that !! Holy !! I do also believe that I am a sinner. A pretty bad one at that. I don't mean to be, but I am.
The Bard works on Sunday too? I did not even know he worked at all. And no I am not being a smart ass. I just don't know much about the Bard except that he says he is a self imposed recluse, and has written a bit. But as for what he does for work. I never thought much about it. Figured in the back of my wee mind that he probably is the spoiled progeny of some wealthy family somewhere. But reckon he must work at something. Gotta eat afterall.

Now that I have been on break long enough. I now need to get back to my work so that we can buy pet food this week. Besides, there was some mighty fine looking winter squash at the farmers market this week. (And it was marked as organic and not expensive either !!) :thumbsup

Peazer

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 11:00 AM
I thought you'd never ask.

Noncorporeal thought existed prior to matter or space.

Consider, matter requires space in order to exist (if there were no space, where would you put matter?)
Space, therefore preceeded matter.
Space therefore was created, and created for the single purpose of being the container for matter.

Prior to the creation of space, absolutely nothing existed. Not a vacuum, not an abyss, nothing (Consider that you have a sofa, you need a room to put it in, there is no room-you and the sofa do not exist).

Now, what could have existed in nothing that could have created space and matter?

Thought! Have you ever had so many thoughts in your mind that one more could not get in (hunger, lust, a potty break)?

But in this case, it's noncorporeal thought. Pure intelligence. We call that thought Sid, I mean God.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I do also believe that I am a sinner. A pretty bad one at that. I don't mean to be, but I am.
!!) :thumbsup

Peazer

Well bless your pea-pickin' heart for realizin' it and admittin'!

Me too! And most everyone on this board.

:flowers

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 11:15 AM
A couple of things i don't like about religion:

1. Inspired by god, maybe. Written by man, definitely.

Man is flawed as well as the ideas, laws, rules, and theories they create, whatever the inspiration. Hearts may be in the right place, but the results do not always jibe with intentions.

2. Although there are many religions, most of the people subscribing to thier book of choice, usually based on location of birth, seem to fervently believe thier particular brand of the golden rule and subsequent edicts built arount it are the correct ones. Faith is good, absolutes are not. Cristians have Christ, Muslims have Mohammed, Buddhists have Buddha, and so on. The parallels are too many to ignore and claim either one is correct when all have the same basic core values, just different rituals, and names to outline and order thier heirarchy.

So, why do so many different religions have the same base with different names and rituals which i believe is a culture thing? Because these morals, rules, regulations, dictations, summations, of how to display, accept, and find God's grace are instilled, and inherent to us all.

So why do we need religion? Most have the guide within us. Do we need the prophecies, prophets, stories, dooms day, preach of love window dressings to make the faith we have feel more important than the faith others have? Maybe. Humans are selfish, full of themselves, and love to have the attention that comes with a little preaching and the light cast apon them through the good works they do in efforts in the name of religion.

Most people have some sort of faith already built in, but religion sort of gives it a structure, a voice, and makes them feel good. Some need that, some don't.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 11:54 AM

Consider, matter requires space in order to exist (if there were no space, where would you put matter?)
Space therefore was created, and created for the single purpose of being the container for matter.

Prior to the creation of space, absolutely nothing existed. Not a vacuum, not an abyss, nothing (Consider that you have a sofa, you need a room to put it in, there is no room-you and the sofa do not exist).

Now, what could have existed in nothing that could have created space and matter?

Thought! Have you ever had so many thoughts in your mind that one more could not get in (hunger, lust, a potty break)?

But in this case, it's noncorporeal thought. Pure intelligence. We call that thought Sid, I mean God.

But in order for us to have thought, we have to have a mind capable of thought. And the fact that we have a mind means that we are an entity. Thoughts are not independent of the thinker. In order to have a thought to spark the universe, there must be an intelligence behind the thought...and thus an entity called "GOD".

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 12:14 PM
But you are basing that on the assumption that God can be easily explainable and is subject to the same limitations we have.

It isnt, and we cannot be so smug. The fact we often assign God a gender is testament to the fact we all too often associate ourselves with the devine.

Thought may make us an entity which is debateable, but what makes god an entity, if in fact it is?

We don't know, and can't begin to speculate, until we can cease ascribing it characteristics akin to our own to place it into a category easily understandable to ourselves.

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Dear Biker. If God were like us then yes, your logic would apply. This is the point where logic is useless. God's nature, past the fact that he exists, is unknowable.

Bard
09-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Dear Biker. If God were like us then yes, your logic would apply. This is the point where logic is useless. God's nature, past the fact that he exists, is unknowable.

Wrong.

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Wrong? Tell us how and why.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Yes, what is God's nature then?

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 01:50 PM

If God created us, and He is unknowable to His creation, why are we here?

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Be fruity or multiply?

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Yes, what is God's nature then?

If you make assessments about the creator by his creation, then you will see things that are very orderly. Wouldn't that be the nature of God?

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Be fruity or multiply?

And what would be the point of this creation to the creator, if it is just in existence to perpetuate itself?

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Dear, sweet, Bikerbabe. I don't know, nobody ever tells me nothing.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Both are questions that only the "creator" can answer.

You'd have to ask it.

However, if it's nature, motivations, and purpose can be known outside of conjecture and faith, what are they?

Truly though, not based on what others who claim to know and have written in books. They still push personality, gender, and other human characteristics onto the "creator".

What is it's essence?

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Dear, sweet, Bikerbabe. I don't know, nobody ever tells me nothing.

God told you a long time ago.

RenegadePoster
09-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I think there may be a Creator. The human mind, being finite, has no way of knowing the infinite, eternity, the Creator, although we may each have ideas, feelings, intuitions about them. I have such about what the Creator may be, but it would be difficult, if not impossible, to put them into words.

I don't subscribe to a religion- I've no need. But that's not to say I have no spiritual life- I think I have a rather rich one, and it is important to me. I think committing oneself to the dogma of dead religions is very limiting. If I had to commit to a religion or spiritual practice, it would be to one of the living 'religions' that existed in this country (US) before the Christians came over and all but exterminated them.

As for 'why' we are here, if the Creator is unknowable, I would think 'why' is unknowable, too. Perhaps that is for each one of us to decide for ourselves- to establish our own meaning.

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't recall that conversation, could you remind me?

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 02:20 PM
If you make assessments about the creator by his creation, then you will see things that are very orderly. Wouldn't that be the nature of God?

The creator created everything, if we asses it by its creation, then ill have to take into account its defectiveness as well. Dahlmer, Manson, Humanity in general.

The chaos of nature in the form of ice ages, volcanoes, earth quakes. Without Chaos there can be no order. So is it both? Is it's nature everything?

It's not an easy question, and one i believe unanswerable by us.

It is here, there, everywhere, to quote the beatles, beggining and end to quote the bible. All attempts to wrap our heads around what it is.

The thing is, we don't know who's right, what group is right, and maybe we shouldn't care.

It should be enough we know it's there, and watching, and listen to that part of us he shot into us accordingly.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I don't recall that conversation, could you remind me?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 02:37 PM
All that is saying is that god created everything and at one point sent a man named john to tell us so.

Now perhaps you could say to buckeye that the particular passage you quoted is God letting us know his nature and he missed it. But what about those who are not christian? Don't know what a cristian is? Never heard of john, or saw A bible because they are from a country or area largely devoid of christianity Are they in trouble?

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 02:37 PM
The creator created everything, if we asses it by its creation, then ill have to take into account its defectiveness as well. Dahlmer, Manson, Humanity in general.

The chaos of nature in the form of ice ages, volcanoes, earth quakes. Without Chaos there can be no order. So is it both? Is it's nature everything?

It's not an easy question, and one i believe unanswerable by us.

It is here, there, everywhere, to quote the beatles, beggining and end to quote the bible. All attempts to wrap our heads around what it is.

The thing is, we don't know who's right, what group is right, and maybe we shouldn't care.

It should be enough we know it's there, and watching, and listen to that part of us he shot into us accordingly.

You have to BELEIVE its not answerable. It is your choice to believe it is not answerable. If you chose to believe it was answerable, then you would find an answer. You have decided before you even began the search that there is no answer, therefore it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 02:43 PM
All that is saying is that god created everything and at one point sent a man named john to tell us so.

Now perhaps you could say to buckeye that the particular passage you quoted is God letting us know his nature and he missed it. But what about those who are not christian? Don't know what a cristian is? Never heard of john, or saw A bible because they are from a country or area largely devoid of christianity Are they in trouble?

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse; Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

It is your choice to believe or not to believe. But you are without excuse because you choose to NOT believe the truth.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 02:44 PM
You have to BELEIVE its not answerable. It is your choice to believe it is not answerable. If you chose to believe it was answerable, then you would find an answer. You have decided before you even began the search that there is no answer, therefore it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

First, you assume i do not or have not searched by claiming i did not begin. Wrong assumption.

If a question has an answer then it should be easily looked up.

If the answer is within, then there are as many different answers as there are people, and as such the true nature cannot be known as my nature is different than yours and so on, making every possible nature unknowable, especially with the seeming refusal of those claiming to know the answer to just tell everyone else.

All i can gather from my own searching and what other claim to know in thier own, is that God is everything.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 02:46 PM
It is your choice to believe or not to believe. But you are without excuse because you choose to NOT believe the truth.

See here's where belief and truth come in. People say what they BELIEVE is truth. Belief does not make anything truth, niether does faith. I can believe i can fly, does that make it truth?

Besides, that quote is not saying belief in a religion as truth is in-excusable, it is saying not recognising God in all things and living accordingly, is in-excusable.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 02:52 PM
If a question has an answer then it should be easily looked up.

Why should it be easy?

Is anything that you gain easily treasured? Why should deep spiritual truths be easy to find? So they can be easily cast aside as well?

No, if you make the truth harder to find, it is much more valuable to the seeker...so they are not apt to cast it aside once they do find it.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Is religion and bible quotes the only place faith can be found?

Do i have to constantly seek out god?

Is it enough that i accept God and live well and according to that acceptance?

Are we going to go back and forth answering questions with more questions untill our fingers sieze?

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
See here's where belief and truth come in. People say what they BELIEVE is truth. Belief does not make anything truth, niether does faith. I can believe i can fly, does that make it truth?

Besides, that quote is not saying belief in a religion as truth is in-excusable, it is saying not recognising God in all things and living accordingly, is in-excusable.

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God

Read it again, their folly was not in not recognizing that God existed, it was after they recognized Him as the creator they did not glorify Him AS God.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 03:01 PM
I dont care what they did.

I am saying for us, and bringing it back to the actual start of the thread.

If religion is not needed to accept God, then there nessecarily needn't be a connection between religion and faith.

No religion or lack therof has a monopoly on faith or knowledge of god.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 03:04 PM

Do i have to constantly seek out god?

Are we going to go back and forth answering questions with more questions untill our fingers sieze?

No, faith can be found in alot of places. It takes faith to believe you are going to get up in the morning...and that the world will still be here.

Do you have to constantly seek out God?

No, you do not. It is your choice to do it or not to do it.

I dunno, is it?

It is a choice for you and a choice for me. I can choose to stop, and so can you.

Buckeye1sid
09-27-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm curious, why does God need to be glorified? If He's perfect, why does He get angry and order the deaths of some biblical (old testament) folk?
The God I see needs counseling.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 03:07 PM
I dont care what they did.

I am saying for us, and bringing it back to the actual start of the thread.

If religion is not needed to accept God, then there nessecarily needn't be a connection between religion and faith.

No religion or lack therof has a monopoly on faith or knowledge of god.

I don't believe religion leads to faith. But there is only one truth about God. All religions cannot lead there. All belief systems cannot lead there. Only one. What everyone must do is decide which one it is, and suffer the consequences of that choice be they good or ill. Are you sure yours is the right one?

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 03:09 PM

No, faith can be found in alot of places. It takes faith to believe you are going to get up in the morning...and that the world will still be here.

There, we've adressed the point originally posed in the start of the thread.

Faith in God can be found in a lot of places.

Religion is not disconnected from god as it is a system set up with the purpose of making that connection by us. But admittedly it is not the only avenue of that connection, so presumably, we can say that religion does not nessecarily have to be that connection. We do not have to believe in everything the Good Books tell us to make that connection.

You honestly think there is one true religion?

I dont have a religion, so by your statement im doubly screwed. Oh, well.

But still, i find it unbelieveable that God would make us, then lay down one narrow path to him. Then watch more than half of us go down the wrong road, fully confident we are correct in the comfort that we have lived well, not hurt anyone or anything along the way, and picked up those who trip, only to give us the hand of cease when we get there because we didnt tke his road he layed out.

No, there isnt one true religion or only oe way to the truth, if there is one.

RenegadePoster
09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
...there is only one truth about God. All religions cannot lead there. All belief systems cannot lead there. Only one. What everyone must do is decide which one it is, and suffer the consequences of that choice be they good or ill. Are you sure yours is the right one?

How can you possibly know this, Bikerbabe? Are you sure yours is the right one, if indeed there is one? How do you know you are not misled?

And why can there only be one? I cannot imagine an infinite Creator being so limiting.

Sorry, I missed quite a bit of this thread- I started seeing bible quotes and my eyes glazed over.

bikerbabe
09-27-2005, 08:22 PM
How can you possibly know this, Bikerbabe? Are you sure yours is the right one, if indeed there is one? How do you know you are not misled?

And why can there only be one? I cannot imagine an infinite Creator being so limiting.

Sorry, I missed quite a bit of this thread- I started seeing bible quotes and my eyes glazed over.

That is what I have to decide, isn't it? Do I have the truth of God or not?

All I know is jesus said NO ONE gets to the father (creator) but by him. Its either true or its not. There is no in between.

So if jesus was true, then that means there IS only one way. That truth cannot be simultaneously accompanied by the truth that says "all roads lead to God".

Either one or the other. The beauty of it is YOU get to decide whether to believe it or not. And only YOU are responsible for your choice. Choose wisely.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 08:27 PM
haha.

Jesus loves everyone as long as they follow him.

No, i think youre taking what he says the wrong way. Theres too many people out there who do not even know who jesus was for that to be the intention.

Trouble
09-27-2005, 09:03 PM

Negative on a couple of your points, but I see where you are coming from. Space came after matter. "In the BEGINNING" there was but only GOD. This GOD existed as matter, in a form our physics cannot yet describe, but steps are being made to understand the quantum physics of GOD or otherwise known as the singularty of all unity of all things. Quantum astrophysics, clearly describes Black Holes which exist everywhere in the Universe, the most massive sometimes function as the driving force holding galaxies together. Smaller ones are also everywhere and we could be swallowed by one passing by and we'd not know it. black Holes, by there very nature, are described in two ways only, unbelievable MASS and SPIN. Dimension is irrelevant. It has none.

Regardless, astrophysicists are seeking to understand the origin of the BIG BANG wherein all matter was such that it was nothing more than a singular state of matter of a form which cannot be described, but which has been put under such scrutiny that the basic premise of it's existence is pretty much accepted by cosmologists and astrophysicists. Space was formed as the matter in the original Bang shot through the nothingness you spoke of. And space is expanding into this nothingness, this has been shown to be occurring via what they call "Dark Energy" pushing the Universe further apart. It's heady stuff, this cosmology and astrophysics and GOD.

Yes, GOD created all things. "He" was the original singularity that comprises all the mass in the entire Universe. All nature's Laws act according to the way these sub-atomic quantum particles interact with one another. All things, all Laws of the Universe were set in motion in the original massive explosion whereby in THAT act of SELF WILL, GOD did create ALL things and NO THING was NOT created by HIM since in truth, he really is ALL THINGS.

I don't know what the grand scheme of things is. It's beyond my human comprehension. Albert Einstein wrote that if we understand quantum physics and gravity, we will know the "mind of God". Jesus promises that if we believe in him, we will go to a place called Heaven and that "All Things Will Be Revealed".

I think the most preposterous stance is to say that religion and science must be mutually exclusive. Science has helped solidify my faith in God.

RenegadePoster
09-27-2005, 09:09 PM
That is my understanding of the Big Bang and the ensuing behavior of matter and space, too, Trouble.

And I agree, science does leave room for the existence of a Creator (I won't say 'God' lest people misundersatnd and think I mean the God of Christianity, or of any particular religion).

jdansam
09-27-2005, 09:09 PM
The creator is all powerful and unknowable - cannot be describled, cannot be iterpreted. No man can tell me about the creator. No man can intervene on my behalf or the creator's behalf. The creator does not exist in books or buildings or icons. The creator may have stared all things in motion and is resting or may be involved in every nanosecond. Man shall never know. Quit worrying!

Trouble
09-27-2005, 09:18 PM
The creator is all powerful and unknowable - cannot be describled, cannot be iterpreted. No man can tell me about the creator. No man can intervene on my behalf or the creator's behalf. The creator does not exist in books or buildings or icons. The creator may have stared all things in motion and is resting or may be involved in every nanosecond. Man shall never know. Quit worrying!

Oh no...I certainly don't worry about it. hell, i pick up my Science or Sky and Telescope and read all about the new Universes the really wacko physicists are coming up with. Hell, I can't remember but now they are trying to solve the Unified Field Theory (what I mentioned about einstein) and they are incredible! They have the Universe interconnected with other dimensions, like 7-8 and let me tell ya it makes for some pretty good reading on the toilet if you knwo what I mean.

I've seen God many times whilst sitting on my toilet. :rofl

Peregrina
09-27-2005, 09:41 PM
:lolup trouble :rofl

I don't believe in y'all's creator. I find him inflexible and cruel and narrow-minded and quite frankly, not someone I want to put my trust and faith in. Or maybe that is simply his followers in general. (of course there are exceptions to this, i'm not saying anyone on this board falls into this sweeping insult to organized religion. this is just my feelings on the subject)

As a correlation to the original question about the creator and religion, which came first - the creator or the followers? did the creator - whatever be the name - create his followers by his own image, or did the followers create a god to mirror their prejudices?

as for my faith, like trouble, I have found a supreme being in many places, rarely in church. I watched one morning a red tailed hawk stoop on a mouse, killing the mouse but preserving its own life. I knew, watching this, that everything is connected to everything else, world without end, infinitum. I believe that my soul has been reborn many times; when I look into a strangers eyes and feel that strange sense of deja vue, I know it is a soul that in another life was someone important to me and me to them. I know the ones I have lost in this lifetime are not truly lost, that one day I will meet them again and this knowledge gives me more comfort than the idea of heaven ever has.