PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Media may have cost lives

wintertao
09-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Now we know the inflated death and murder and rape tolls were incorrect reg Katrina - the Liberal Media in this country made it seem sound and look like all Hell had been unleashed at the Superdome and the Convention center - that murder and rape and pillage was the order of the day....many of those very ideas and words and images were what FEMA and other agaencies devoted to care used to decide not to send in people. They didn't want to send un-armed aid workers into the pits of Hell. Now we know it was mostly a killing joke - the liberal media was so quick to want to paint a picture of chaos...they forgot the facts. There were a total of dozen or so deaths at both the Superdome and Convention Center combined and almost all were from natural causes - one was a suicide. In fact when you seperate out the non-violent bread and water and nike shoes grabs the crime rate in New Orleans didn't rise at all post-Katrina. Not one bit. New Orleans already had an incredibly high crime rate before Kat and it didnt rise at all after. But the Media somehow missed that story....and people died from lack of care because of it. They scared away the help waiting a few miles away.

Lyn Is Snide
09-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Sure. It never happened. It was all the liberal press (whatever the hell that is). None of those people saw what they said they saw. All the people in those hellholes lied. :confused:

Oh, yeah....the holocaust never happened either, right? :sad

(BTW, I'm not comparing the two. I'm pointing out how ridiculously deluded some people can be when it comes to supporting their chosen political stance.)

Bard
09-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Its utter hogwash and bias bullshit to even utter liberal.

It's the news media, IF there was sensationalism, it is to sell papers, not politics.

You fucking right wingers bust me up.

It was plenty chaotic in this case, know that.

I was going to ask where you got your data, then quickly realized it was just your opinion, stasted with a rehearesed stilted authority glowing in none.

Aren't discussions a grand thing?

Or is this where you generally freak out, call me a treasonous commie and leave the stage?

Because I dared to speak my view, as you were allowed to speak yours?

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, to get back on the topic of media rather than posters,

There's way too much playing of the blame game.

In a catastophe there are no politics, or rather shouldn't be. Yet so many start crying Bush this, Bush that, Brown is incompetent, Liberal media got on it or didn't dependend on predominant

views you hold.

I've always said, fix the problem first, investigate what went wrong after its fixed. Cause every second wasted on rooting out who's to blame for what can be life or death to the people baling out thier living rooms.

So, for now, how about we dont hark-hark for investigations and blaming. At least until we got this cleared up.

PurpleButterfly
09-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Well, to get back on the topic of media rather than posters,

There's way too much playing of the blame game.

In a catastophe there are no politics, or rather shouldn't be. Yet so many start crying Bush this, Bush that, Brown is incompetent, Liberal media got on it or didn't dependend on predominant

views you hold.

I've always said, fix the problem first, investigate what went wrong after its fixed. Cause every second wasted on rooting out who's to blame for what can be life or death to the people baling out thier living rooms.

So, for now, how about we dont hark-hark for investigations and blaming. At least until we got this cleared up.

Beautiful post Lemon. It's just a darned shame this country has turned into nothing more than a blame game.

:sad :sad :sad :sad :sad :sad :sad :sad :sad :sad :sad :sad

stinky*felix
09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
But the Media somehow missed that story....and people died from lack of care because of it. They scared away the help waiting a few miles away. I would agree, but you would think that if the wimpy media reporters were there, it should have tipped everyone else off that things weren't as bad as they were presented, you know?

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks Butterfly.

Heres a really good way of looking at it.

Theres a household, and the family is just hanging out in the living room watching jeopardy or some such when some water starts dripping from the cieling.

They all go upstairs to investigate what's going on and find an overflowing toilet in the bathroom with a few inches of water on the floor spilling out into the hall and ruining the living room cieling.

Would it not be best to shut off the water, asses the damage, clean the mess, then make nessecary repair to the bathroom floor and living room cieling?

Rather than hunting out who clogged the toilet. Arguing over who's to blame for the whole situation, while everything gets worse?

I'd say fix it all first, then if you still wanna make whoever caused it pay for it or admit accountability, go right ahead.

By the way, brown did not clog the toilet, he is a sacrifice to distract who's really at fault.

wintertao
09-27-2005, 04:54 PM
stinky - your post was brilliant

bard - many of my views are more left than the Dem Party or the Greens so keep your labels for yourself

Bard
09-27-2005, 05:11 PM
stinky - your post was brilliant

bard - many of my views are more left than the Dem Party or the Greens so keep your labels for yourself

Do your own rules apply, to me as well? :thumbsup

Or is it OK for you to tag me a communist, as you have time and again?

wintertao
09-27-2005, 05:16 PM
fair enough

forestfairy
09-27-2005, 05:47 PM
ALL media and reporters dramatize things, that is what it is all about, unfortunately, because whoever has the "breaking story" has become more important than what is actually happening. In my opinion, if there was even one murder or one rape, it was important enough to report. From what I saw, in interviews with people actually staying in the dome (NOT reporters) is that it was hell. There is nothing wrong with reporting that, and FEMA is the last organization on earth that should be too scared in an emergency situation to send in help. Give me a break, that is their job! :tantrum

Lyn Is Snide
09-27-2005, 05:58 PM
What's amazing to me is that the right holds all the power at this point, and they're still trying to blow smoke by blaming the left for their (the right's) fuckups......and some people actually buy it. :ohwell

Edited to clarify.

jdansam
09-27-2005, 06:35 PM
I disagree with Lemon - It is crucial that the failure mode be evaluated ASAP in case another catastrophy follows on the heels on the first one. If you you ignore the cause of the fault to address the results - you are doomed to fail again. As much as I can't stand the current administraion, they did respond in a somewhat better way to Rita. Had they ignored what was wrong with the first (Katrina) they would have the same shitty response. You cannot ignore the cause of the problem while addressing the result, you must understand it ASAP.

Thinking Brown didn't fuck-up is a major error. He should be assigned to shoveling horse shit. It is what he knows.

BunnyBun
09-28-2005, 05:54 AM
I'm still not seeing how the "liberal media" killed anyone. I thought the hurricane did that. Why not blame the rescue workers instead, who believe everything they see and hear on TV/radio etc? Or blame the "conservative media" for not demanding that the truth be aired by the liberal media?

(insert sarcasm emoticon here--I can't see graphics here so I can't find the right one)

I'm sick of the blame game with this mess.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-28-2005, 06:08 AM
jdansan,

I did not say we should not understand WHAT went wrong, i said we should not waste time on a which hunt to determine WHO is at fault just yet to allow focus on what happened and how to fix it, in all aspects, I.E. cleaning up collateral damage, human damage suffered, and understanding how to do it better next time.

As for brown, i never said he was a genuis, nor great at his job, but he's one guy where many have to be at fault. You cant hold one man up for punishment for something of this scale, unless he had his finger on the button that brought a hurricane. Have you watched some of the investigation congress is putting him through?

Wheres the blame for the mayor of new orleans? The Governor of Louisiana? Why arent they being investigated?

At this point it doesn't matter, fix the situation, then worry about the inepts that maybe need a looking into.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
09-28-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm still not seeing how the "liberal media" killed anyone. I thought the hurricane did that. Why not blame the rescue workers instead, who believe everything they see and hear on TV/radio etc? Or blame the "conservative media" for not demanding that the truth be aired by the liberal media?

Exactly. You can't put a hurricane on trial, so people are looking to string other people up to lay the blame on for something they can't control to make thier own feelings of insignificance in the face of such huge devastation a little less, like they accomplished something against such a tragedy.

randy
09-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Left wing, right wing, moderate, conservative, liberal or whatever there is something about news reporting that I have never understood and I would love ANYONE here that could and would to help me out please.

Just what makes ANY reporter, whatever their political leanings and persuasions are QUALIFIED to do anything BUT GIVE THE FACTS?? WHY are their INTERPRETATIONS AND OPINIONS anymore significant and important than anyone elses? If they are newspaper reporters then they are or at least should be clever with words. If they are on TV then they generally are very GOOD LOOKING and make people fantasize about having sex with them, etc. How does ANY of that qualify them to spend hours and hours giving their OPINIONS and the public swallowing it hook line and sinker? This one just flys right over my head.

Buckeye1sid
09-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Randy, Randy, Randy, I can see that you've never been on TV. After you're hired, but before you go on the air, they insert a brass tipped mind melder in your left ear and harmonically activate it. This instantly makes them incredibly knowledgable. The only side effect is the occassional burst of insane laughter that occurs during the broadcast for no obvious reason.

TwiggyAZ
09-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Well, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn if the media is right left, or in the center or around and around. I am just glad they are there. If the media were not there, can you imagine the shit that WOULD be fed to people.

I consider myself smart enough to filter out the bullshit and the good looks of the reporter and asertain that I can not believe all that I hear and will wait for further reports from more than one source. And I also think that the majority of people are smart enough to do that.

It's better than a government controling the media and putting out exactly what they want put out there. I WANT my media to point fingers, I WANT them to tell me who's Fing up and who isn't. Even if it's dramatic augmented, I want to know. I'll make my own decision of how much is fact and how much is for ratings.

At least they were THERE immediatly, where was everyone else?? And I've NEVER know the government/ authorities to be afraid because the media said something!! They, of ALL don't go by them or are controled by them. If they do, then they are idiots. Brownie was an idiot.

randy
09-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Twiggy I am glad they are there also. My point was I want them to present the FACTS and NOT their opinions.

I don't know any of those reporters personally and quite frankly I could not care less what they think about any given subject. I was asking what empowered them to have their opinions carry any more weight than anyone else?

TwiggyAZ
09-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Randy, my mother was a reporter for many years, and it drives her nuts to see them opinionate. Her mantra...just the facts! Just the facts!!

I don't think that's going to happen anymore. Sensational TV and ratings come before integrity!!