PDA

View Full Version : Changing Habits

Blackeyedpeas
09-28-2005, 06:46 PM
After church this evening, we were sitting around discussing what we were doing on an individual basis to offset the higher prices paid at the gas pump and anywhere else, such as the lumber shed and all.

We try to drive into town only one time each week. And we do ALL of our errands while there. There are no more trips to get a pound of butter or a jug of milk. We make lists and stick to them more now also. We don't tend to waste as much food as before either. Leftovers, leftovers, leftovers. And I am now baking my own whole grain breads. I had forgotten how good that stuff tastes. :happy

So far we have filled our gas tank twice this month and there is still more than a half tank of fuel left. Not bad don't you think?

So, now my friends, what all are you doing to offset the increasing expenses.

The Peazer

Peregrina
09-28-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm within easy walking distance of both work and the store. the last few days we've have triple digit weather so I've been driving, but for the most part I walk.

Bard
09-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Solar energy and cars are the answer.

We need to transfer our dependency to solar cars, and energy immediately.

Poodles
09-28-2005, 11:19 PM
I bike most places but also chum up with pal in car-we pay for Gas beween the 2 of us-grab another pal and head out-Also have Solor panels-NO hot water costs in winter. :thumbsup -makes a Big differnce money wise-2 ppls I know who would normally drive are now using bike-but use car when its a long journey-Gas prices in NZ going thur the roof just now also-

Yorkshire Lass
09-29-2005, 03:59 AM
We've had high petrol prices in the UK for so long now that I can't remember it being any other way. The cartoon UKBB posted says something about a tank of petrol costing $80 - it's not far off that over here at the moment. I think the main thing is that we don't go driving just for pleasure very often. If we get in the car it's because we need to go somewhere. We still drive 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year though. The cost is one of those things which insinuates itself into your budget and which you accept (sadly) after a while.

Heating fuel is a different matter, and elderly people have been known to die in the winter because they couldn't afford to heat their homes. Some government aid is now automatically available to help the elderly since a stink was kicked up about this, and quite rightly too.

Chris

BunnyBun
09-29-2005, 05:36 AM
I have a problem since I have to use my own car for work. I have to drive all over the county. I do get paid mileage but still the gas money comes out of my pocket, I'm just reimbursed later. I try to be efficient and get several things done at once, on one trip to the same area. But stuff always comes up and I'll have to fly off somewhere. It sucks.

Outside of that, I just drive to and from work, and on Saturday to the grocery store and maybe to a hike somewhere if it's nice. I'm having trouble figuring out how I can lessen that. I fill my tank up once a week.

We don't have any buses where I live, and the buses in town end at 6:00 pm so public transport is not a good option for me, unfortunately. It's a pretty rural area.

Buckeye1sid
09-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Hate to brag (not really), but although I have one hot Kia (leave you in the dust man), I need no vehicle. I bought a house that's within walking distance to everything I need, even some places I don't need.

BunnyBun
09-29-2005, 07:02 AM
I enjoyed living in town, in some ways. One was that--the convenience, no need for a car. I could walk everywhere, and I was only a few blocks from my job. Unfortunately other aspects of the quality of life in town were not so great. Higher crime, crowded, polluted, expensive...I moved out of town and now I have to pay for all the gas, but I should remember the other things I've gained by being out there. Cheaper taxes, cheaper land, clean air, good water, lots of nature that I love, hardly any neighbors close by. It's a tradeoff.

Buckeye1sid
09-29-2005, 07:37 AM
True Bunny, I used to own a farm, but here in town you don't need TV either. You just look out the window!

BunnyBun
09-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I used to live across the street from the police station. That was better than any TV we could get. Just watching them try to get up the hill in the winter was funny enough, never mind the actual criminals who'd be fussin' and fightin' going in. We used to pull our armchairs up to the windowsill in the winter, put our feet up, get a beer or a hot cocoa, and watch the cops try to get their rear-wheel drive cars out of their parking lot, which has a sloped driveway to it. The station is on a hill too.

Now when I look out my window, all I see is nature. Which is beautiful, and I love it, but it's not always that entertaining. OTOH I get better TV reception up in the hills where I am now.

:shrug

Buckeye1sid
09-29-2005, 08:03 AM
It was a job to keep nature outside.

clemiedog
09-29-2005, 08:11 AM
I try to drive far less and only when necessary. Regretfully, much of that is beyond my control because of the demands my employer. If I am ordered to drive to some location, I have little choice.

The so-called leaders of my employer have no empathy for fuel conservation. Each Vice-president drives a massive gas-chugging SUV. To the best of my knowledge, none of them drive off-road or have any need for such a vehicle, beyond stroking fragile egos.

Buckeye1sid
09-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Who is to say that an SUV isn't an important life support system to those who have no other.

BunnyBun
09-29-2005, 08:51 AM
If they want to seem cooler than they are, it would be better to just get a really big codpiece.

Buckeye1sid
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
codpiece.
wasit?

Bleep
09-29-2005, 09:41 AM
codpiece=jockstrap

I saw a local traffic survey that said that something like 40% of all car trips here are less than 5 km.

Easy to bike that distance. Heck, it takes less than an hour to walk 5 km (about 3 miles).

I have an aging pick-up that gets about 12-15 mpg. it will still do the truck jobs when I need it. I bought a micro car ( SMART Fortwo) that gets 70 mpg rather than replace the pickup wityh a new one. It will pay for itself in less than 4 years. ( at today's prices, I use about $5000 in gas annually in the truck).

However, the night before last, some ditzy teenage driver rammed me in it from behind. Minor damage to my car- replace a bumper and a plastic panel and paint. No-one in our car hurt.The other car, a volkswagon GOLF, is a write off.

clemiedog
09-29-2005, 12:27 PM
No-one in our car hurt.The other car, a volkswagon GOLF, is a write off.

Good thing that the other driver wasn't driving a Hummer H2 or a Ford Expedition.

Bleep
09-29-2005, 06:13 PM
actually, clemie, my car apparently fares very well even against a brick wall, and I know those SUV's are nowhere near that solid! :thumbsup
But in My imagination, it would be like a pool ball- and just ping off the SUV. The one person I know who was hit by a full size SUV in a car like mine, walked away from the crash, the driver of the SUV was sent to hospital with life threatening injuries...and I checked, the SUV driver was wearing a seatbelt. The crash was the SUV t-boning the Smart.

The Smart Fortwo has the highest crash test rating available according to Transport Canada, which has the job of running things into brick walls .

Of course, have fun filling up in your Hummer. :rofl