PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Prozac, Effexor, Luvox and other psychiatric drugs?

Bleep
09-29-2005, 10:02 AM
The thread about POt, and how so many people use it regularly for a variety of seemingly good reasons made me think.

"This drug is bad, that drug is OK" seesm to come from both camps. Some folks hate the shrinky drugs, some hate the pot.

So OK, how many are using mind altering drugs that are prescribed for you?

Whats the difference?

:poke

lol1uk
09-29-2005, 10:17 AM
I take Seroxat to control suicidal tendencies, depression and anxiety and other mental health problems (Yes, Lyn Blair was right, I am a crazy old hag, if having mental health problems makes me one?) :ohwell

I don`t know if there IS a difference between pot and prescribed medicines. I do know that prescibed medications are controlled by psychiatrists (in my case) and by my family doctor.

Pot smoking can get out of control, young children can start smoking it and progress to heroin or cocaine.

I`m not doing a good job of explaining what I mean, but I definitely do think there is a difference.

lol1uk
09-29-2005, 10:19 AM
I should add, that certain meds will not suit every person. I went through a long list of meds(including the ones you named) before we found one which works for me.

Buckeye1sid
09-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Gee, I'm sorry, when I read the title, I thought you were holding.

basca
09-29-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't take anything. I'm not real big into the pill bit that doctors love to trap people in. They have you take pill "x" to take care of this mood or problem, but then you have to take pill "y" to counter pill "x", then take "z" to counter "y" round and round it seems they go. I'm not a real big fan of doctors.

When allergy season is in full bloom I will eventually take something for that, but only when my head is pounding.

BunnyBun
09-29-2005, 10:30 AM
I haven't been following the pot thread, but I think prescription drugs are used and abused and misused also. Docs overprescribe them, patients overdemand them, because it's easier than addressing your problems with hard work, or changing your habits, or thinking about things differently.

Before anyone jumps on me about how bad and debilitating depression is, how it's a chemical imbalance, yada yada, I've been there. I've taken 3 different antidepressants, 1 antianxiety and a sleeping medication in the past. Yes, they worked--they helped immensely. They also screwed up my metabolism, made me lethargic and/or hyper, ruined my sex drive, and caused me to lose 30 pounds then gain 40 pounds. They caused my body to "forget" how to manufacture its own chemicals that make me feel good. It took me a good two years to feel normal again after stopping the medications. That time period is also often cited by substance abuse professionals as how long it takes for your body to adjust back to normal after quitting hard use of drugs.

I don't think pot is good for you and I don't think it solves your problems. Nor do alcohol or other drugs. But I don't think psychotropic medications are the be-all end-all either. Personally, I freely admit that self-medicating with drugs and alcohol sometimes works better than medication, at least in the short term. That's why people do it! But in the long run neither approach is all that great, IMO.

One major difference that I do see, however, is that medication is done with a doctor's oversight. Street drugs are not.

lol1uk
09-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Basca, doctors don`t prescribe pills just because someone has a blue mood.
Real clinical depression is a mighty enemy which I, and others like me, battle daily. The medications just help a little, they don`t cure.

Bard
09-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Pot smoking can get out of control, young children can start smoking it and progress to heroin or cocaine.

Laura

This is simply not true.

It is literally the myth of all myths.
An addictive personality will often graduate in addictions,
Yet, my experience has been that pot is not even addictive, unto itself

I speak only for me, and from my experience, and the observation of a lifetime, concerning others..

It has been my experience and observation, that parmaceutical drugs are far more addictive in nature.

Blackeyedpeas
09-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, I have here in front of me, my first ever RX for a drug to combat depression. I have not yet taken it to the pharmacy to get it filled. Why? Because I am totally terrified of taking them. It is for Zoloft and he said that I probably should have been prescribed something quite awhile ago when I first was traumatized by my open heart surgery. I have horrible mood swings in which I lose my temper and then forget what made me "go off" Either that or I never had a clue to start with.

I take several drugs to keep me alive that deal strictly with my heart and heart function. Now to think I need someting to keep my poor old brain working properly is appalling to me. I am way too young. (NOT) I do know that I have lost a lot of memory. Not just long term, but short term as well. I meet folks on the street that my better half chats with and I have no clue who it is. (Happened today at the doctors office) He had to explain who the woman was and try to jog my memory of how I know her. I still don't have a clue. But he says I know her and that we have even been at social functions with her. Okaaaaaaaaay??? Well at least I think I faked my way through the entire conversation. :(

To think that at one time I headed up an entire Accounting division in a large chain of retail stores. I can barely balance my checkbook these days. And that my friends really pizzesmeoff. !!!!!

At least my doctor did agree to allow me to try Herbal alternatives first. So, I am presently researching that avenue. Just hope to heck I can remember what I am looking for for craps sake. :ohwell

The Peazer

BunnyBun
09-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Peaze, I remember that feeling of not wanting to take that first one. And then when I did, I had this hilariously overwhelming sense of relief. Like I finally admitted to myself, "Yep, now it's official. I'm a nutcase." But the intense relief was in knowing that I did something about it. That made me feel better all by itself. So take your pill if you think it's the right thing and if you really want to get better.

But I still stand by my previous statement about them being overused and overdemanded and overprescribed, and I agree with Basca that doctors DO prescribe them for "blue moods" and it IS a trap of sorts, you take one pill but it causes insomnia, then you need another one for sleeping, then you're too tired so you increase your caffeine or whatever....it is an ugly cycle and it all takes you farther and farther away from your body's own resources.

If it sounds like I have mixed feelings on this, or am contradicting, you're right. But going back to the original question of how is it any different than pot, it's probably not except you're monitored by a doctor. Street drugs act on the same parts of the brain as these medications.

Bard
09-29-2005, 12:03 PM
St Johns Wort

An herbal alternative to depression

I have heard many good things over the years about this herb.

:thankyou

http://www.viableherbalsolutions.com/prod17.htm

Blackeyedpeas
09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks Bard. I can't take St Johns Wort because I take an anticoagulant and will have to continue to do so for life.

He did tell me to research some herbal alternatives and then check back with him before I actually begin to take any so that he can make sure that they will not interfere with the heart meds I HAVE TO take to stay alive.

I will be seeing a Cardiologist again on Monday to have a stress test and echocardiogram to see if all is okay in that area.

You know something? I am actually okay with the idea of dying. Strange huh? Well, I KNOW without a shred of doubt that when I do die, (and I will sooner or later of course) that I will be re-awakened and blessed with a body that is without flaw. What upsets me and makes me so very sad is that I know my family will be in a lot of pain when it does happen. I really hate that aspect of it. There are no tears in heaven, but there certainly are here on this earth and in this life.

basca
09-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Blackeyed, they tried to get my mom to take anti-depresents after her open heart last fall. She stuck it out for 3-4 months of going from really sad to not being able to sleep for 2 days straight, but her body worked it out. How long has it been since your surgery. I am by no means trying to get you to go against what you doctors say, just telling you how it worked for my mom.

Poodles
09-29-2005, 01:58 PM
:thumbsup -I take citalopram-also seroquel x 2 at night- -when my mood goes manic :rofl -the seroqel goes up by another 3 -main Psy-issue for me is PTSD-Anxiety.So I take the pills then also go to therphy on tuesdays and Fridays at the Anxiety Disorder Unit-The therphy is as good as the drugs-!!!-Ive learnt so much about selve.When younger I didnt wanta be drugged up on psy.meds but I started taking them when the SSRI"s came :rahrah

-Manic-depression runs in my family.Father was very very bad with it-terrilbe sad-then the Manic-nuts-hit-smash-High-the Judo the-thes. Only wish these drugs had been around for Father-he would have had a VERY different life-<So would we have had as kids>-Mother depressive=Prozac-tell ya what my mums life is so much fuller etc since shes been on Prozac-pre-Prozac she would just lye in bed for months-sister on Prozac-<shes been sober now 7-8 years>-

Me-Iam getting better all da time-whats that mean-well can now get on bus-go in to mall"s-Flash-backs are less-eatting eemm still find that a hard one but I go there often enought to keep weight just with in normal range now.

Pot - I do some times smoke now but it kicks the anxiety in to Over-Drive if I am not in good space.--Drugs are cuddle rugs to me.My Pys-says "they keep me glued together" ya-know-what they do.No shame in that-I now function better etc.

I see ALL drugs as that<Drugs> be it Pot-Booze-vailums-anti-psys-Magic mushees etcthe Psy-drugs STLL have a long way to go - far to many ugly side-effects still .

If not for addressing the underlyeing "issues" of sexual abuse etc with the help of therphy and the Psy-Rugs-well I hate to think where I would now be-

Life is so Good Now-Hard but Good-nothing like looking your demons in the face and telling them to +++++ off-working threw the kiddie rubbish is EKK

Enought said-Psy-drugs are life giver to ppls with Mental-Health-Dxed
but I do think they"re over given at Doctors-wont let any one but Psy decide which rug I need.

:rahrah

Catfish
09-29-2005, 02:33 PM
It is a fact you can train your mind to do what most drugs do. The human mind has the abilty to alter various functions of the human body.
(including chemical functions)
Within the next decade the training will become standard practice among most health care professionals.
It is already being used today in certain areas of medicine. And, boy, are the drug companies pissed.
Had western medicine not been so snooty and naive they would have seen the light from the Far East a long time ago.
Until then, the drug companies will just keep pumping out new and wonderful "MIRACLE" drugs for us to ingest.
Side effects? What side effects? I feel great!

Anti-depressants:
This one, under "Side Effects", is one of my favorites.
"MAY GIVE YOU A FALSE SENSE OF WELL-BEING"

:wtf

I don't criticize anyone who thinks they need "little helpers" to get them along the rocky road. Life's a bitch....and then some. Me and Mr. Mota get together for a little pow-wow ever now and then.
All I'm sayin' is if there is a chance you can fix the engine yourself why not exhaust all viable possibilities first, before summoning Dr. Feelgood.

:thud

Poodles
09-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Quote- I'm sayin' is if there is a chance you can fix the engine yourself why not exhaust all viable possibilities first, .

I did-But in the end-well I had to accept that the type of Mental-illness-I have just wont go away-I personlly did exhaust ALL possilbes before I hit the Psy-servies-Iam not talking about "A bad day here" talking about going Psycotic-NO ammount of chattering will help with that-
Also Iam talking "Major" Mental-Health-ill-ness"s NOT just the blues etc.

For some ppls ya cant even think right-leave alone trying to fix your own engine-With the arrival of the SSRI"s well many ppls who aer NOT depressed are given them for "normal" life trails-dont agree with this myself.

But if your acute sick-ya just cant unscramble your thinking ;leave a long trying to fix your own engine-<Love Thomas the tank engine myself>

Feels great for me to be able to post re-My mental unwell-ness at times-at The Bards.I use to feel such terrible Shame re-being Manic and co-NO more-
Enjoying this thread-Thanks, :flowers

Edited in-I do use other things to help me on my journey-swimming-biking-music-DBT-Schema therphy etc-

Blackeyedpeas
09-29-2005, 03:22 PM
My surgery was quite some time ago. I thought it all worked out with the depression and it seemed so good for a couple of years. Then about 4 years ago, the insomnia set in. Not every night, but a couple of times a month.

As time went on, all the nights of terror seemed to subside. However the memory loss seemed to be getting somewhat worse. I just tossed it aside and refused to even think much about it. (Denial !!)

Then a repreive. All seemed to be right with the world. I felt well enough to do a bit of traveling to visit kin even. I began to venture out into the world again by myself. Walked a couple of miles most mornings. That went on for a couple of years also. I thought I really had it made !!! Now it is starting to come back. Every bite of food that goes into my mouth seems to make the nausea come over me in triplicate. Even eating a couple of strawberries will get the gut to churning. No matter what it is, I am okay while eating, but in less than an hour, boom I am on the sofa waiting for my maker to take me home and begging for him to hurry.

I am really getting freaking tired of all the bull crap and honestly would like:

A. For it to all stop and just feel really normal again or at least without the terrors and nausea.
B. For it to all stop and take my azz home.

Okay, now that I have sat on the pity pot, I can just get my azz in the kitchen and fix the cat a dish of food. That poor old fellow is howling like a banshee. What a bum he is too.

The Peazer

basca
09-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Well, I can shoot up a prayer for you and I hope the docs are able to give you exactly what you need without having to try 20 different things first. You will be OK. :)

Grace
09-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Very nice post Bosca, says a lot and shows insight, on your part.
(also if you missed my "Thank You" post, It is on this board someplace. :winky I do like to show manners.

Seroxat is part of a family of drugs known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs).

They were launched in the 1980s as the non-addictive alternative to Valium. Seroxat is one of several SSRI's on the market.

Very quickly these drugs became popular with doctors because they appeared to offer a cure for everything from anxiety to phobias.

Millions of people have been helped by them and indeed prescriptions of SSRIs have risen dramatically in the past 10 years.

These drugs are worth billions of pounds to the drug companies who make them. Common brand names include Prozac, Seroxat (known as Paxil in the US), Lustral, Cipramil, and Faverin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/2295479.stm

If it sounds like I have mixed feelings on this, or am contradicting, you're right. But going back to the original question of how is it any different than pot, it's probably not except you're monitored by a doctor. Street drugs act on the same parts of the brain as these medications. Bunny Bun

I am a nurse and still torn by all this. They put the elderly on these and real Mind altering drugs, that make them zombies. (I hate to see it) Some doctors are more quick to prescribe these anti-depressants than others.

If I could do the Pot and it not make me paranoid, I would rather take it.
With my husbands cancer, and other illness, over the last year, I was just a couple of months ago prescribed a anti-depressant. He was keeping me on a 1/2 adult dose, because of my size and I don't think he liked the idea of me taking them. He has been my doctor for 15 years, and has always considered me a strong woman.
It has been 2 months now, and I can tell zero difference except I am constantly tired.
Scripts like this you are allowed to work with, but if Pot is in your system, (you're fired) ??
Beer too is a drug and if found in your system you won't be fired because it is legal?

I am checking more in to homeopathic medicine (where like cures same)
I have seen it work, and it is extremely safe.

Crazy old hags? I don't think so! If it works good, if not get off of it. But taper under the doctors orders. MO
grace

Poodles
09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Blackeyedpeas :flowers

Okay, now that I have sat on the pity pot, = nah give your good selve a break-

-Nah I didnt read this as pity pot-is very real and very frighting-I my-selve have night-terrors due to abuse dreams-just terrible-Sad to hear of your pain-Iam hoping some one can help you with this-be it Doctor or friend-there are great Herbal sleeping aids that do work-I cant spell them but will post them later on when Ive found mine-

A. For it to all stop and just feel really normal again or at least without the terrors and nausea.-
Ginger is really great for the Nausea-also u can get anti-Nausea pills from doctor-

Wishing you well---Poodles----

thesunnyone
09-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Wellbutrin here. But weed would do the same thing only better. I just don't dare get arrested or my name in the paper. My old beloved and my dogs need me. ;)

Grace
09-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Just some trivia, but Wellbutin is the same drug that they advertize to take to stop smoking, only under another name and twice as expensive.

I can't remember the name of it? Can anyone think of it?
grace

randy
09-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Well, I have here in front of me, my first ever RX for a drug to combat depression. I have not yet taken it to the pharmacy to get it filled. Why? Because I am totally terrified of taking them. It is for Zoloft and he said that I probably should have been prescribed something quite awhile ago when I first was traumatized by my open heart surgery. I have horrible mood swings in which I lose my temper and then forget what made me "go off" Either that or I never had a clue to start with.

I take several drugs to keep me alive that deal strictly with my heart and heart function. Now to think I need someting to keep my poor old brain working properly is appalling to me. I am way too young. (NOT) I do know that I have lost a lot of memory. Not just long term, but short term as well. I meet folks on the street that my better half chats with and I have no clue who it is. (Happened today at the doctors office) He had to explain who the woman was and try to jog my memory of how I know her. I still don't have a clue. But he says I know her and that we have even been at social functions with her. Okaaaaaaaaay??? Well at least I think I faked my way through the entire conversation. :(

To think that at one time I headed up an entire Accounting division in a large chain of retail stores. I can barely balance my checkbook these days. And that my friends really pizzesmeoff. !!!!!

At least my doctor did agree to allow me to try Herbal alternatives first. So, I am presently researching that avenue. Just hope to heck I can remember what I am looking for for craps sake. :ohwell

The Peazer

I just read this and if it has already been addressed, then SORRY and just ignore this posting. ZOLOFT, at least for men, is known to all but KILL sex drive. There are other side effects as well. I am NOT a Doctor but before I took that medication I would definently seek another medical opinion and do some independent research. JMHO

forestfairy
09-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Grace, Zyban is the name of the stop-smoking pill that is really wellbutrin. There are several other drugs that are also psychiatric meds disguised as other things (such as the one I recently brought up on another thread, the pill for women with PPMS, or just really bad PMS. It is also an anti-depressant).

I have mixed feeling about this too. I am a mental health case manager, so I definitely see benefits of these drugs with my clients, who are on everything under the sun. And of course my job is to harass all my clients about taking their meds so they don't end up in the hospital. There is no getting around it if you need an anti-psychotic such as zyprexa, haldol, seroquel, prolixin, etc. I don't believe it is very easy to "train your brain to fix itself" with some serious illnesses like schizophrenia (although I am sure somebody could find an example or two to the contrary).

However, I do believe that anti-depressants are especially over prescribed, especially Zoloft and Paxil. Lots of side effects with both of these for some people, but can work wonders for others.

My philosophy is "if you need it, take it", and who gives a flying you-know-what about what other people think. Most people know what is right for themselves. Nobody knows you how you feel or should tell you that you shouldn't take something that makes a significant improvement to your life.

BunnyBun
09-30-2005, 05:28 AM
Yep, it's Zyban. Also, Grace, in ref to your other post, you probably know that these drugs (and many others) affect the elderly differently than younger people. There are not enough studies on elderly when it comes to these drugs, before they're out on the market.

Omega
09-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Pot is my "medicine" of choice but I have difficulty in finding it.
About a year ago my doctor prescribed Celexa to me for depression. It caused me to have terrible nightmares. I stopped taking it after the third pill.

momahedger
09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
okay, is there an herbal out there which helps against panic attacks and works with PTSD? I would love to go natural. also one as a sleep aid since that is something that runs hand in hand with PTSD. and one more, arthritis.

I would love to go natural and not take what I take. but I have no idea of where to start. :ohwell

Omega
09-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Check out Valerian root. It's referred to as nature's valium. I have taken it for insomnia and also for stress. It comes in capsule form but be forewarned, it stinks!! I buy it at a health food store.

browneyedK
09-30-2005, 04:10 PM
I take a small dosage of Zoloft! It makes a world of difference in my life. More calm and I handle things more efficiently.

What does Tom Cruise know anyway??????

InfoNut
09-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Like Poodles, I have been fighting mental illness most of my life.
Wow... it's still incredibly hard to admit that.
I was in serious denial for years, not taking my meds, not going to therapy... I was diagnosed with type II Bipolar Disorder back in 1985. It was often still called manic-depression back then, and it wasn't the diagnosis of the week

I've had manic episodes that left me with felonies and jail time, and depressions curled up in bed around my shotgun.

Tofranil, Elavil, Lithobid, Tegretol, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Depakote... and about half a dozen more that I can no longer remember. Round Robin, trial and error, wait and see.

I'm pretty well stable now with Wellbutrin and Depekote, although I need to get my blood drawn occasionally to see if my liver hates me yet.

I guess my rambling point is... take the damn meds. If it turns out later you don't need them, so be it. The consequences of needing them and not taking them can be awful.

InfoNut

Bard
09-30-2005, 06:30 PM
InfoNut

Welcome..

Glad you found us again :winky

Jannilu
09-30-2005, 06:33 PM
WOW, so many seem so troubled.
I had no idea it was so common.
I am sorry. I am fortunate, indeed.

thesunnyone
09-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Its hard to tell who is suffering agonies we aren't aware of. Infonut, your story and mine are parallel. Except for the felonies. But some of my actions were worse than felonies. Dealing with guilt is another story.

InfoNut
09-30-2005, 06:56 PM
SunnyOne,
Guilt is a hard one... it's a powerful force. Look at the Catholic church!

As hard as it is, at some point you have to take a deep breath... and let it all go. Just say, I can't fix it, and I can't change it, so my options are:
A. Let it beat me up and make me miserable for the rest of my years, or
B. Forgive myself for being a f*** up in the past and move on.

It may sound trite, but it's also true.
I.N.