PDA

View Full Version : I need some suggestions if you please

Blackeyedpeas
09-30-2005, 12:55 PM
After discussing my situation with my cardiologist, he agreed that perhaps it was time for me to take a break from my statin drugs. Now, since I do not wish my cholesterol levels to skyrocket out of control, I am asking some of you here for ideas on ways to keep it down under 178. (that's where it is at present !)

I have already made a conscious decision to stop eating red meat except perhaps on a very limited basis. (Birthdays, Christmas and perhaps Easter) I will be going shopping in the city on Monday and will be on a mission to choose healthier food to eat. Among changes that we intend to implement is bread baking at home with whole grains and lots of wonderful nuts and seeds incorporated into the mix. I love beans other items from the legume family of foods as well as any other veggie with the exception of turnip. I will never eat another bite of that horrid thing again. My sister and I both concur on that one. (And we do not care if Mom loved them nor do we care how good they are for you !!)

Also some suggestions as to what vitamins might be good to add to my regimen. I already take Life Force Multiple with NO IRON, 1 a day Weight Smart (helps with the metabolism.) and Biotin, 5 mg. for hair and skin and nails.

Perhaps some of you vegetarians would care to share some good food ideas and recipes.

I would love to be able to take my "Grocery List" with me to my cardio and let him see what direction I am taking with this. He is not against my finding alternative sources to get and stay healthy. In fact he is all for it. I do have to watch my dark green veggies, like spinach and kale, as they contain too much vit. K, which in turn must be watched with my anticoagulants I take.
I really want to do this the right way. I have messed around for way too long.

Thanks folks.

Peazer

jdansam
09-30-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm have discovered that I love SoyMilk on Cheerios every morning. Read and compare the label on the soy and regular milk containers. Try the store brand - it costs less.

TwiggyAZ
09-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Your best bet might be to consult with a nutritionalist.

I'm still very leary about the whole cholesterol thing. I couldn't be on a better diet, exercised, am not overweight, did all the correct things and my cholesterol is high no matter what I do. So I took the statin drugs...WHOA!! Did they screw me up. Almost put me in the hospital and I had to do steriods for a time and they were not sure if my muscles would ever be normal again.

Drugs effect everyone differently and statin drugs don't bother some people. But I did a lot of research on them and would urge you too also.

My Dr and I are at an impass. She wants to experiment on me with non-statin drugs and I told her I have long living family that all have high cholesterol, no heart problems, just schedule me for a by-pass at around 90! I haven't decided yet whether I will take any drugs or not. But I can tell you Oats are great...Oatmeal every day helps a lot. Fish, rice, fruits and vegies...there's your diet if you want to keep it low. And of course splurge a couple times a month, it won't kill you!

Good luck on your diet, everyone is different and I hope you find something that keeps you healthy, wealthy, and wise!!

Blackeyedpeas
09-30-2005, 02:43 PM
I have already had the by-pass. And high cholesterol is a familial thing too for me. Bad, bad, bad. I am just going to bust my chops here cutting out all the red meat, and bad fats, etc, etc. etc. My sister has had a bypass too. She and I are lucky, we lived. Our dad did not !! They did not have by-pass when he had his heart problems. I am eating peanuts right now. Love them. They are my lunch !! :thumbsup I think too that I will have to start eating breakfast. That will be the tough one. I don't usually eat solid food till about 2 pm. Adjustments, adjustments, adjustments. And more getting off my azz and getting outside especially now that it is so cool out. Great weather and leaves are turning too. :rahrah

I did manage to find some really cool sounding vegan recipes online. Going to try some of them

Peazer

Omega
09-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Last year I had a problem with high cholesterol too. My Dr. wanted to put me on meds for it. I asked him to give me two months to bring it down myself. The first thing I did was to go to the library. I checked out a lot of books on the subject including some cookbooks with some really good recipes. I started walking too, a mile each day. I gave up red meat, fried foods, eggs, dairy products (espcially cheese). I couldn't totally give up milk so I changed to skim. I ate a lot of skinless chicken and a lot of fish, salmon is especially good for you. I also switched to whole grain breads and cereal. I don't like cooked oatmeal so I ate a 6 oz cup of uncooked oats every day. I also take one 250mg time release Niacin capsule. The Niacin "flush" is uncomfortable for some people but it doesn't bother me. When I went back to the Dr. he was surprised at how much my count had dropped.
I wish you well in this endeavor. I hope I've helped you at least find a starting place. High cholesterol sucks.

bagbalm
09-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Not to be discouraging - but the fact of the matter doctors don't seem to like to admit is dietary cholesterol very seldom has much to do with your blood cholesterol levels.
Eating a lot of fiber seems to help as well as fish with Omega 3 oils and garlic.
If you don't like rolled oats try steel cut outs - takes a little longer to cook but it is much tastier in my opinion. You can also but cut wheat - that is bulgar. It makes a good breakfast cereal also.
Brown or red rice is also a good source of fiber and greeat for all three meals.

Poodles
09-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Omega posted this in another thread-was jsut the spelling I was loking for

Valerian :thumbsup --has helped me many times-I tend to get the drops-it does smell horrible but the effects for me were """Relaxing"" just what I was after-is worth a try-hope you r able to try it...xoxoxo..Poodles