View Full Version : Bill Bennet....WTF!

Bard
09-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Updated: 05:48 PM EDT
White House Condemns Bennett's Remarks
Conservative Links Crime Rate and Abortion of Black Babies

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050930062509990001

ABC News
"You could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down," William Bennett said on his radio show.

WASHINGTON (Sept. 30) - The White House Friday criticized as "not appropriate" a comment from former Education Secretary William Bennett that aborting black babies would reduce the crime rate.

Bennett, a conservative radio commentator, stirred outrage for saying on his talk show on Wednesday: "But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down."

"That would be an impossibly ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down," he said on his call-in program "Morning in America."

"The president believes the comments were not appropriate," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Bennett has held various senior roles in administrations of President Ronald Reagan and Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush. He is a former education secretary and head of U.S. drug policy.

Bennett, author of of a book on morality called "The Book of Virtues," faced controversy two years ago when it was revealed that he lost millions because of a gambling habit.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said he was "appalled" by Bennett's comments and said he hoped Republicans would condemn him.

Howard Dean, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said the comments were "hateful, inflammatory" and asked whether they represented the values of the Republican party.

Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman, a former campaign adviser to Bush, has been trying to reach out to African Americans, who overwhelmingly vote Democratic.

On his radio program on Friday, Bennett said "I was putting forward a hypothetical proposition ... and then said about it, it was morally reprehensible to recommend abortion of an entire group of people."

"But this is what happens when you argue that the ends can justify the means.

His remark was in response to a caller who had suggested that the Social Security system's finances would be in a much better position if it were not for the 1973 legalization of abortion, because there would be more people paying into the system.

Civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton said on CNN that Bennett's comments were "blatantly racist."

"(He) stated as a fact that if you did this it would in fact lower the crime rate which clearly is him making blacks and crime synonymous," Sharpton said.

09-30-05 17:36 EDT

Jannilu
09-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Ignorant Asshole

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/rikjan/23_4_1321.gif

Yorkshire Lass
09-30-2005, 04:41 PM
What a very peculiar thing for a politician to say. Presumably he could have inserted any ethnic group into that sentence, and statistically it would be true, but he had to choose African-Americans for some reason.

We have our own foot-in-mouth politician in the UK. He's called Boris Johnson. He managed to insult the entire city of Liverpool and was instructed to go in person and apologise. What reputation he had has been severely damaged, he just isn't taken seriously any more.

Chris

basca
09-30-2005, 04:47 PM
:eek: I am speechless on this. Wow. Isn't he considered highly by the far right?

Bard
09-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes.

Another of the fringe rights handwork it would seem. :thumbsup

Lyn Is Snide
09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
William Bennett. A man of virtue.....and a gambling addiction. :ohwell

The Book of Virtues (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671683063/qid=1128125953/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-6129401-9934507?v=glance&s=books)
Make sure to read the reviews.

The Childrens Book of Virtues (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068481353X/qid=1128125953/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-6129401-9934507?v=glance&s=books)

The Book of Virtues for Young People (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0689816138/qid=1128125953/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-6129401-9934507?v=glance&s=books)

Lyn Is Snide
09-30-2005, 05:28 PM
:eek: I am speechless on this. Wow. Isn't he considered highly by the far right?

Yeah, so is the guy who, quite literally, wrote the book about how to abuse your children and pets and feel good about it. Ya' know. James Dobson. The guy who is considered by W to be the best one to instruct us on morals and raising our children. Where's that vomiting emoticon when you need it?

Poodles
09-30-2005, 07:17 PM
I just read this over at The Guardian...WOW :wtf
All I got to say-shocked.!~!

Lyn Is Snide
09-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Another of the fringe rights handwork it would seem.

Sorry to tell you this Bard, but this guy is of the mainstream right. :ohwell

Bard
09-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Yes, I know Bill, he is one of my Christian brothers right? :banghead

randy
09-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Guys!!!

Radio talk show host, publicity, more listeners, ratings go up, etc, etc

This was so staged and planned it is ridiculous. If nothing else this man was bright enough (yes I know he is a freaking right wing conservative, but he did appointed as Secretary of Education,) to get a high political office. Your not going to convince me that he didn't know EXACTLY what he was saying when he said it and that the idea hadn't been vetted before all kinds of corporate and political big whigs who gave their assent.

Lyn Is Snide
09-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Yes, I know Bill, he is one of my Christian brothers right? :banghead

Says Mr. Bennett. :sad

whiteclouder
09-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Another welfare giveaway, free abortions. I'm sick of it.

Cloud..

randy
09-30-2005, 10:13 PM
:(

bikerbabe
09-30-2005, 10:20 PM
THIS is what passes for christianity these days?

Barf icon is right. This is not what my jesus is like. Not at all. :sad

Peregrina
09-30-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm not condoning what this man said, it is reprehensible even to suggest, but I can't help but compare it to a satire that often has the same effect on people.
Jonathan Swift, the author of "Gulliver's Travels" was a well known satirist in the 1700s. He also wrote a satire called "A Modest Proposal" wherein he suggested that the Irish - to stave off starvation and regulate population growth - cook and eat their babies. I'm sure y'all can imagine the reaction.

like, Randy, I think both instances - Bennet and Swift - were done for the publicity of the thing.

Bleep
10-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Has he done NO reading on the roots of crime? If you get rid of all the blacks and hispanics and whatever, there will still be poor people, only now they will be the "po' white trash". And poverty breeds desparation and desparation breeds crime. What a racist! Even Jesus said in the bible, that the poor will always be with us, and hence the numerous exhortations in the gospels to be your brother's keeper. So Bard, if this guy is one of your christian brothers, can you please keep him locked up? :rofl

It alarms me that everywhere you look, the gap between the rich and poor is getting bigger. Celebrities and captains of business are richer than royalty ever was in ancient times. The "middle class" does not exist in most of the world and is dwindling in the G8 countries. Rich people buy their own armies and hole up in walled estates. The rest of us are getting bombed in the streets. See whats happening in Indonesia today?

And wasn't the "Modest Proposal" that the ENGLISH should eat the Irish babies to stem the Irish overpopulation and famine?

Mr. Lemon Pocket
10-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Theres no such thing as MY jesus.

And if we were to abort all the white babies will we have to stop dealing with house music, techno, cultural biting, white collar crime, petulant kids divorcing thier parents, jerry springer, red carpet celebrity events, and so on?

If only.

randy
10-01-2005, 09:32 AM
While I do recognize that I could be TOTALLY WRONG here, I really do think this whole stunt was just for publicity purposes. That man HAD TO KNOW that saying some like that, whatever his intentions, would incite this kind of negative reaction nation wide and it has. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

I would like to see yall get SUPER PISSED OFF that people pull that kind of crap for publicity purposes and that we let them get away with it. Not one person should ever set their dial to his radio program again and I am NOT just picking on the loony tune right Republicans. I feel EXACTLY the same for the LEFT WING FRINGE DEMOCRATS as well that pull that crap. That kind of stuff only serves to instigate hurt and needless anomosity for the sake of dollars.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
10-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Better yet, throw out your radio. It's about as useful as a television anyhow.

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 09:58 AM
While I do recognize that I could be TOTALLY WRONG here, I really do think this whole stunt was just for publicity purposes. That man HAD TO KNOW that saying some like that, whatever his intentions, would incite this kind of negative reaction nation wide and it has. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Of course he knew what he was doing. He's far too intelligent to think he could make a remark like that without repercussions, especially considering his former government position. His ratings must be falling.

But I'm sure he's going to (if he hasn't already) justify his remarks by pointing to statistics that show an inordinately high percentage of AAs are incarcerated for crimes. So, the (il)logical reasoning would be, no more AAs = reduced crime, right?

But what would happen is that the non-minorities would finally be equally punished for their crimes, since space would be available to incarcerate them. After all, we can't have all those DAs and judges without anything to do! :ohwell

Perhaps Mr. Bennet should read this report, or similar ones:

Racial profiling and other forms of unequal treatment of minorities by the criminal justice system have further contributed to the overrepresentation of minorities in the incarcerated population. Minority youth are treated far more harshly compared to similarly situated white counterparts within the juvenile criminal justice system.

http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/usa/race/