PDA

View Full Version : Death Rituals

Jannilu
10-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Death Rituals are very personal, spiritual, and cultural. Egyptian pyramids are the most apparent symbols of historic death rituals. There are many varied rituals throughout the ages.

http://death.monstrous.com/death_rituals_across_cultures_.htm

Do you want to be buried or creamated? Perhaps you have established a way to donate your cadaver to med students?

Do you have specific instructions for the funeral (ie: a special song,etc.)

Do you want "viewing/visitation" or closed casket?

If you are to be creamated, do you want to have your ashes interned in a crypt, or will an urn be handed over to a loved one? Are they supposed to keep it or scatter the ashes?

I want to be creamted, & don't want to end up on someone's mantle.
I also don't want anyone gawking at me in any casket or on a slab. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/rikjan/pp_sm_evm_0761.gif

randy
10-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I want to be embalmed (none of that waking up in the grave stuff for me,) placed in the cheapest wooden casket possible and immediatedly buried. NO funeral service. I think those are horrific and I would not want anyone that I cared about or who cared about me to be put through that.

Bard
10-01-2005, 12:05 PM
The Bard wants to be buried.

Simple casket, for a simple man.

Closed casket period.

I would like "Amazing grace" sung.

And any other song IP deemed suitable

Perhaps a couple of OUR favorite love songs

I want NONE there in departure

Who loved me NOT in life.

I want it to be a celebration, for a life lived..

As well as a tribute to my Lord, who sustained and protected that life in loving kindness,

More years than I deserved.

I want none to wonder where I will abide and roam throughout eternity

For I shall be in heaven, according to my deep-seated conviction and fervent faith of heart

Waiting for my darling Indian Princess

As I waited for her in life

Then eternity, shall be as perfect

As God and IP made this world for me, while I was privliged enough to roam here

Selah

Mr. Lemon Pocket
10-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Funerals provide closure randy. Nothing horrific about that.

After the wake, i want to be put in my casket, then i want that casket to be stood up, with the doors open, in a room.

There will be a three day long party, with drinking, reminicing, and whatever.

After the party, my casket will be taken to my hole where i will be buried, maybe bagpipe music in there somewhere.

Bard
10-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Funerals provide closure randy. Nothing horrific about that.

Agreed, and closure is a loving thing to extend to those who do care.

Good observation Lemon.

thesunnyone
10-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Bard, thank you. What you wrote touched my heart deeply. I wish I had the peace you seem to have attained.

randy
10-01-2005, 12:45 PM
I have to admit that my view of funerals is quite jaded based upon my personal experience and I do acknowledge that it most likely is not the common experience of most people.

The funerals I attended growing up were those of family and predominently Church of Christ and Southern Baptist. Don't mean to be offensive here, but it was honestly my true experience. The preachers at the funerals would NOT stop until they had almost everyone bawling (not crying and there is a difference,) and some if not many passing out on the floor. I said when I attended my last one at age 18 that was it and until my Mother's funeral when I was 39 I never did attend another one and since I had control over it I saw to it that it was NOT conducted in that manner.

Bard
10-01-2005, 12:54 PM
I agree randy, many funerals are barbaric in my estimation.

Especially that kissing the dead gig. :(

TY Sunny. :)

randy
10-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Bard and don't you juat hate it when you do go to "view" a body and people start saying "I have never seen them look better" and "they look so beautiful and peaceful," etc.

Their DEAD! You have never seen them look better? If it's possible and I can, if anyone see me's dead and cold and says that, I am gonna raise up and slap the living shit out of em for being so insulting to me to my face and tell them they have always looked like a sack of crap to me too. :)

Bard
10-01-2005, 01:05 PM
:lolup

Bleep
10-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh man, send me up in a flaming viking war canoe. And have any friends who remain have one great party with what's left of my estate on the beach while I burn. And play Led Zeppelin-Rock'n'Roll and Pink Floyd-Pillow of Winds.

barbarianism can be beautiful thing!

Catfish
10-01-2005, 01:25 PM
A Texas funeral. At sunset, on the Texas Prarie, overlooking the majestic Palo Duro Canyon. A celebration of life, if you will.
All my friends, one by one, at the podium, telling funny stories of moments with Mo.
A simple casket, with protruding keg spouts serving fresh, cold beer.
Pink Floyd's" Dark Side of the Moon" cascading from monsterous speakers in surround sound.
Topped off with a bonfire, barbeque dinner and a fireworks finale.
Sunrise breakfast at 7am.
*Dress: Casual.
*Charter Buses will not leave until all kegs are empty.

randy
10-01-2005, 01:41 PM
A Texas funeral. At sunset, on the Texas Prarie, overlooking the majestic Palo Duro Canyon. A celebration of life, if you will.
All my friends, one by one, at the podium, telling funny stories of moments with Mo.
A simple casket, with protruding keg spouts serving fresh, cold beer.
Pink Floyd's" Dark Side of the Moon" cascading from monsterous speakers in surround sound.
Topped off with a bonfire, barbeque dinner and a fireworks finale.
Sunrise breakfast at 7am.
*Dress: Casual.
*Charter Buses will not leave until all kegs are empty.

HELL YEA

codetta
10-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Having played at one too many funerals and losing more than enough friends and family has forced me to take a look at what I'd like mine to be now that I've barely passed middle age ( :laugh ).
Since I'll be cremated people won't be able to say that " I look like myself".

basca
10-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Do you want to be buried or creamated? Creamated

Do you have specific instructions for the funeral (ie: a special song,etc.) No, I do not want a service. Just my family.

If you are to be creamated, do you want to have your ashes interned in a crypt, or will an urn be handed over to a loved one? Are they supposed to keep it or scatter the ashes? I want my ashes thrown in the air at a certain place, want to see where?

:thankyou

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/basca/Weird%20stuff/buryme.jpg

randy
10-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Basca I have always wondered why someone would choose cremation? I am NOT being critical but I have never had the opportunity to ask anyone why they would make that choice. If it is too personal just please pretend you didn't read this. :)

Peregrina
10-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I want to be cremated as well, my ashes spread on the farm where I grew up. As for why, well this is slighty strange, but it will be a way of facing my ultimate fear - fire. I'm totally terrified of it, candles and campfires can send me into panic attacks if I'm caught unprepared i.e. walking into an empty room and having a candle lit (it could start a fire, yknow.)

when my grandma died a couple years ago - on xmas day, no less - there was no funeral as such, justs a graveside service at the family cemetary with the hospice chaplain who had been with her. can't really call what we did a wake, but we all went to the house and just sat around and talked. since my family isn't big on family reuninions or communication as such, it was really special and gave a very special sense of closure to her death.

I've always thought the custom of 'viewing' the body was macabre. it's not them, their soul has already left.

basca
10-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't know. Death does not bother me one bit, never has. I am not scared of it at all. I am at complete peace with it. I will be dead, I won't feel the flames that they use to burn my body...that thought doesn't bother me either. However, I find funerals completely morbid. Draining my "bodily fluids" keeping me cold, plastering make up all over my cold dead face, ack. People looking at my dead body. :ohwell All of that gives me the creeps.

My family knows where all of my photos are, if they want to reminisce about me I'd rather them pull out the pics, tell a few good stories, take me to a place that gave me a lot of good memories, throw my ashes, and move on with their lives. ;)

randy
10-01-2005, 09:33 PM
"I want to be cremated as well, my ashes spread on the farm where I grew up. As for why, well this is slighty strange, but it will be a way of facing my ultimate fear - fire. I'm totally terrified of it, candles and campfires can send me into panic attacks if I'm caught unprepared i.e. walking into an empty room and having a candle lit (it could start a fire, yknow.)"

That makes good sense to me...

randy
10-01-2005, 09:35 PM
"I don't know. Death does not bother me one bit, never has. I am not scared of it at all. I am at complete peace with it. I will be dead, I won't feel the flames that they use to burn my body...that thought doesn't bother me either. However, I find funerals completely morbid. Draining my "bodily fluids" keeping me cold, plastering make up all over my cold dead face, ack. All of that gives me the creeps.

My family knows where all of my photos are, if they want to reminisce about me I'd rather them pull out the pics, tell a few good stories, take me to a place that gave me a lot of good memories, throw my ashes, and move on with their lives."

THANKS BASCA! I fully understand all that. In fact, I agree with you on alot of the "care" that is given to a corpse. Makeup, sewing of lips together, etc. I hadn't really thought alot about that, but it is gross.

Grace
10-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Both Hubby and I have chose cremation. Only my daughter knows. (The rest of the family will have a fit. :winky

Every part of my body that can be used is to be used. I have gone so far now as to have it in the state donor bank, so no family member can reverse it.

Ashes scattered over a nature spot. Only a memoral service, no flowers. Send in lieu of favorite charity.

I only hope I can be remembered by most as she "Tried to make a difference"
grace