PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Rita Disaster Aid Sucks!

randy
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Well this time I personally know someone who was hit by Hurricane Rita in Jasper, Texas. This lady had two trees fall completely through her home, making it totally uninhabitable. She and her 6 children are living in the front yard in a tent and now eating army rations. It is only within the last 3 days that those rations along with drinking water and ice have been brought by the National Guard to her area out in the county. They bath and wash clothes in the river that runs behind their devastated home. She did have insurance coverage but her insurance company has told her that they cannot give her a date as to when they can even accept her claim. Now isn't that just special.

It was only yesterday that FEMA and the Red Cross arrived in the area and she has not seen either one yet. FEMA made an announcement in Jasper itself that they would "try" to have "some" generators available in the next several days. So far FEMA and the Red Cross HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY ACTUAL RELIEF AID TO ANYONE in the area.

This is the case for all those in need about 10 miles north of Port Arthur. When locals there asked what was taking so long, they were told by officals that their priority was getting the oil refineries in the Port Arthur area up and running again. :)

In other words, FUCK THE PEOPLE and HELP BIG BUSINESS!!!

I am SO FREAKING MAD, I could DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jannilu
10-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Randy, I'm pretty sure you were strongly against government aid (a.k.a. your money) for flood victims..... :poke

randy
10-01-2005, 02:31 PM
What I was and still am against is rehabilitative aid (replacing housing, cars, direct cash aid, etc,) but I never criticized emergency, life saving aid. I see a big difference between providing emergency shelter, food, clothing, medical care on a temporary short basis and long term aid intended to return those individuals to their former financial states.

This lady HAS private insurance that she paid for. Her insurance company won't even give her a date to take her claim? That is messed up.

Jannilu
10-01-2005, 02:56 PM
I see a big difference between providing emergency shelter, food, clothing, medical care on a temporary short basis and long term aid intended to return those individuals to their former financial states.

I'm confused. You are against "rehabilitative aid", but you support "long term aid intended to return them to their former status"? hmm...what do you consider rehabilitative aid to be, 'cuz I don't see the difference??

This lady HAS private insurance that she paid for. Her insurance company won't even give her a date to take her claim? That is messed up.

When the 'haves' become the 'have nots' they suddenly see things they failed to see before. Last year's hurricane victims are still trying to receive fair settlements from insurers.

randy
10-01-2005, 03:18 PM
"Originally Posted by randy
I see a big difference between providing emergency shelter, food, clothing, medical care on a temporary short basis and long term aid intended to return those individuals to their former financial states.

I'm confused. You are against "rehabilitative aid", but you support "long term aid intended to return them to their former status"? hmm...what do you consider rehabilitative aid to be, 'cuz I don't see the difference??"

I am against rehabilitative aid, I do not support long term aid intended to return them to their former financial status. I do however support very short term emergency aid.