PDA

View Full Version : Fuck Paparazzis

Bard
10-01-2005, 01:43 PM
At least the Bard is FINALLY safe from these annoying fucks in his own backyard, in the GREAT state of California :rahrah

Updated: 08:31 AM EDT
Schwarzenegger Signs California Anti-Paparazzi Law

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051001032509990012

By Dan Whitcomb, Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 1) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a law Friday tripling damages celebrities can win from paparazzi if they are assaulted during a shoot and denying the photographers profits from any pictures taken during an altercation.

The new law comes as Los Angeles authorities try to crack down on aggressive photographers following a series of altercations involving actresses Reese Witherspoon, Lindsay Lohan and Scarlett Johansson, among others.

As an actor, Schwarzenegger had testified against two photographers convicted in a 1998 incident involving him and his wife. He also once lobbied for a buffer zone protecting celebrities.

"We always said that the only way we would be able to curb dangerous behavior by these paparazzi was by going after their motivation, and that is being able to make enormous, outrageous profits," said the bill's author, California Assemblywoman Cindy Montanez, a Democrat representing suburban Los Angeles.

"Ultimately, when it got to the governor's desk I think he probably remembered his own situation, when he testified in court," she said.

A spokesman for the California Newspaper Publishers Association, which opposed the bill, said the group was disappointed.

"We wish the governor would have vetoed it, but it's not like we're surprised," CNPA general counsel Tom Newton said. "He and his family were victims of the behavior that it was attempting to end."

Newton said any journalists sued under the new law would likely challenge it as unconstitutional because it treats them more harshly than other Californians.

"We think it exposes people engaged in First Amendment activities to penalties the rest of the public is not susceptible to," he said. "If it's used in a way that goes after one of my members, I suspect that constitutional issues will be raised in their defense."

"Mean Girls" star Lohan and Johansson, best known for "Lost in Translation," both were involved in car accidents this year that they say were caused by aggressive photographers.

A photographer trying to take a picture of Witherspoon's young daughter at an amusement park was charged with assaulting two park workers after they tried to intervene.

10/01/05 03:23 ET

Buckeye1sid
10-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Maybe the pretty ones, Bard, maybe the pretty ones.

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Stupid and self-serving law. No wonder Ahhnold has lost so much popularity.

Bard
10-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Stupid and self-serving law. No wonder Ahhnold has lost so much popularity.

The law protects all of us sought after celebrities Stinky

If you had helicopters circling your nest 24-7, with ten foot scopes on their cameras,

You might feel differently. :tiphat

PurpleButterfly
10-01-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't think we have to worry about that. :laugh

I see no reason celebrities shouldn't be entitled to protection from these leaches.

basca
10-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Fuck Paparazzis

Only if they are really cute.

:rofl

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 06:09 PM
The law protects all of us sought after celebrities Stinky

If you had helicopters circling your nest 24-7, with ten foot scopes on their cameras,

You might feel differently. :tiphat

What do you suggest - that the government provide a "protected air space" around celebrities' homes? And just how famous do you have to be to be awarded that protection?

Anyone who assaults another person should be charged criminally.

The law is stupid and unnecessary.

Peregrina
10-01-2005, 09:40 PM
I think I see Stinky's point now. If the car accidents cited in the article were caused by the photographers, then yes they should be criminal charges pressed. just think, if the photograhers caused not only the 'celebrities' but innocent drivers to be in accidents ,are only the celebs protected? if, for instance, the photographers were driving dangerously and caused accidents (but there were no celebs involved ,just bad driving) , wouldn't they be charged with at least reckless endangerment?
or do you have to be famous to be protected in these situation? cuz, if so, I'm gonna avoid california from now on. :)

randy
10-01-2005, 09:47 PM
I actually can kinda see both sides of this debate. Everyone should be protected equally by law, that to me is basic Legislating superior rights is at least a slippery slope.

I also think that it is BS that you lose all your right to privacy just because your career places you in the public eye. If you are a lawmaker/politician that impacts other peoples life on a daily basis, sure you should have little or no privacy. If, however, you are a "star" and sometimes I could just strangle people for giving performers that kind of status, prestige and stature simply because they have some talent to entertain, I think you are just earning your living and have as much right as anyone else to have a private life. I cannot imagine never being able to walk "privately" in public, having to be concerned if there were people with cameras trained on me above my house, on ladders "peering" over a fence, etc. That is BS too. IMHO.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
10-01-2005, 09:51 PM
The way it should be:

on public property out in the open, photgraphy and such is allowed.

on thier own private property or others private property, not allowed, and punishable by law.

PurpleButterfly
10-02-2005, 08:57 AM
I take it many have not seen documentaries on these leaches. They are vile and have no shame or morals if you ask me. They have injured numerous celebrities trying to get simple pictures.

Of course, if it weren't for the celebrity crazy public (of which I've never been), they'd have no job at all.

Buckeye1sid
10-02-2005, 09:33 AM
My God, did you hear that Jen and Brad's divorce is final today? Oh, I cried and cried when I heard. Whatever will Jen do? Will Brad recover?
Will Sally have Ken's baby, and if she does, what will Barbie say? Oh my, oh my!!!!!

PurpleButterfly
10-02-2005, 10:24 AM
My God, did you hear that Jen and Brad's divorce is final today? Oh, I cried and cried when I heard. Whatever will Jen do? Will Brad recover?
Will Sally have Ken's baby, and if she does, what will Barbie say? Oh my, oh my!!!!!

See?

:rofl

codetta
10-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I played the piano at a funeral for a prominent person and saw first hand what those paparazzi are capable of. They had NO SHAME - even in a funeral setting. It was horrible and disgraceful . . . NO RESPECT!

PurpleButterfly
10-02-2005, 10:51 AM
I played the piano at a funeral for a prominent person and saw first hand what those paparazzi are capable of. They had NO SHAME - even in a funeral setting. It was horrible and disgraceful . . . NO RESPECT!

Thank you Codetta. That is pretty much the behavior seen in the documentary I watched. No shame, that's for sure.