PDA

View Full Version : questions about digitial cameras

wintertao
10-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I know the basics - at least I think I do...well heres what I know:

megapixels - more is better but after you get over about 4/5 mp it doesnt really matter unless your going to blow the pic up to poster size.....

zoom - is important and is broken down into optical zoom and digital zoom and the total zoom is the * of the two - 20 total zoom cameras are cheap now

Lens - I know nothing about the lens or lens quality or what to look for

Memory - I know all these digital cameras have some internal memory and then take some kind of removable media for extra storage I got that is some removable media easier/better than others there seem to be about 1/2 dozen different kinds of removable media

makes/models - I have no idea what makes or models have a rep for good quality and reliability

I'm looking to spend $250 MAX and would like to spend less -

any and all help app - fanks :)

jdansam
10-01-2005, 04:03 PM
All you'll ever need to know -
Link (http://photo.askey.net/reviews/)

:tiphat

wintertao
10-01-2005, 04:11 PM
thanks - its a good link but not all I want to know!

I want to know MORE!!!!!!!!!! lol

Is a 5x digital * 4x optical camera any better or does it have any adv to a 5x optical * 4x digital camera? Both are 20 total of course but are there any adv to having a higher optical than digital number? Or Visa Versa?

:tiphat

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 04:23 PM
As a rule of thumb, optical zoom is always better than digital zoom.
SD (Secure Digital) is probably the most popular and most future-proof of the memory cards.

InfoNut

wintertao
10-01-2005, 04:29 PM

Wolfhoundowner
10-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi Winter :)

You'll need to decide what's most important to you -- megapixels, memory storage, zoom, whatever.

For me, my first consideration was a great zoom: I LOVE close-ups, and shoot lots of wildlife. So I needed a good zoom lens to get the pics I wanted because I don't have the dough to buy the Canon Digital Rebel I'm currently lusting after :(

My second most important consideration was megapixels because I wanted to be able to enlarge and manipulate my photos. But you're right -- unless you're going to go larger than 9x13, 4 or 5 MP is just fine.

So what did I end up with? A Fuji Finepix S5000: 10x optical zoom, 3 MP (with an interpolation factor that can get me to 6 MP if I want to). I've been really happy with it. It retailed for about $400-450 when I was shopping for it last year, but I bought it NIB on Amazon.com's auction site for $318.

But when you're going digital, you also need to make sure you have a good photo printer if you're printing at home. I found out the hard way that you can have the best camera in the world but still get crappy pics if you don't have a good photo printer.

Hope that helps you out, and good luck! Can't wait to see some of your pics in the Photo Gallery :)

Nowhereman
10-02-2005, 03:41 AM
Here is the Camera that I use and I really like it.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/131/2797&pq-locale=en_US

This has all the features of my Canon 35mm camera. This camera also has black/white picture option, multiple features of a more expensive camera and comes with a camera dock. A printer dock is also available, I don't use it because I have a nice printer.

When it comes to digital camera equipment, you can easily spend a lot of money but if you know what you want to do with your camera, you can get a really decent camera for the amount of money that you want to spend.