PDA

View Full Version : Are Governments Lying About The Avian Flu Outbreak?

Bard
10-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Rather odd, how they go out of their way to mention what it is not?
But mention NOT what it is?
I believe governments (lying to us) and are buying time in order to hopefully find a cure for the avian flu, before it is OBVIOUS to ALL, that it is here, I think they are afraid of world panic.
If it is unidentified, then they know NOT what it is or is not!

Updated: 06:57 PM EDT
Four Dead From Respiratory Illness Outbreak in Toronto

TORONTO (Oct. 1) - Toronto public health officials are investigating the deaths of four elderly people after they contracted a respiratory illness at a nursing home, where dozens of others have also been affected.

Toronto public health chief Dr. Barbara Yaffe said Saturday the unidentified illness has affected 68 residents and five employees at the Seven Oaks home for the aged.

Yaffe says 15 people have been admitted to hospitals in the area but are not being quarantined. Three of the victims died at the home, with the fourth dying in hospital.

She called it a "typical respiratory illness," adding that the infection is not compatible with SARS, influenza, or avian flu and that there is no threat to the greater public.

Yaffe says all the patients had pre-existing medical conditions and two were in their mid-90s.

10/01/05 18:24 EDT

Bard
10-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I think they are squelching the true facts and data on those known dead, and in all the countries it has already spread.

I believe it is in the United States already.

I think our countries leaders are lying to us worldwide on this issue while buying time.

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I believe you may be absolutely right.
In which case governments are doing exactly the right thing.
There would be worldwide panic, and we don't have a cure.
So even if its by lying, governments are fulfilling their highest purpose... safeguarding their citizens.

This could get ugly if we don't find a vaccine.

Info(worried)Nut

randy
10-01-2005, 05:50 PM
I believe you may be absolutely right.
In which case governments are doing exactly the right thing.
There would be worldwide panic, and we don't have a cure.
So even if its by lying, governments are fulfilling their highest purpose... safeguarding their citizens.

This could get ugly if we don't find a vaccine.

Info(worried)Nut

UUUHHHH, was there world panic that caused massive disruption over Aids? As far as the government being less than truthful, SURE but then what else is new? What is alarming to me is the seeming growing instances of widespread (global) outbreaks of new, undefined illnesses with no known cause or cure and this has been going on for 3 or 4 years? I am a conspiracy buff I guess and think there is more to these stories anyway than is being told.

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Less than one hundred years ago, a flu pandemic killed upwards of 20,000,000 people in a single year (1918)

Would modern medicine outweigh increased population density and mobility?

Here's hoping we never find out.

IN

Bard
10-01-2005, 05:52 PM
This virus mutates, making it nearly impossible to find a vaccine. And these scientists know that.

If our government was protecting us, we would cease our imports from Asia and the rest of the world, and seal our borders.

Is it ever right to lie to your citizens, if we were told the truth we might cancel our vacations abroad, and take further protective measures.

Oh, thats right, we do NOT want to interfere with commerce, or trade, and the march of the gold coin do we?

Governments only concern is money, not people.

Look how many worthless vaccines are available now, only enough for a few.

Note the word worthless.

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Why is it that money and commerce get hammered so hard?
Don't you enjoy the house you live in, the car you drive, the computer you sit in front of? The gas you buy, the groceries you eat... these things stop if people panic.

No, we do NOT want to interfere with commerce, we do NOT want to interfere with the march of the gold coin, because the consequences of not keeping the system going would cause more death and suffering than a flu pandemic.

Bard
10-01-2005, 06:05 PM
It will all explode at the same time Info.

When this disease is discovered for what it is, ALL will come to a screeching halt.

And pandamoniam and chaos will be our inheritance I fear.

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I must agree.
It makes me feel like a a Y2K doom and gloomer to even think about how bad it could be.

Are we alarmist, or observant?

I.N.

Poodles
10-01-2005, 06:18 PM
It will all explode at the same time Info.

When this disease is discovered for what it is, ALL will come to a screeching halt.

And pandamoniam and chaos will be our inheritance I fear. :thumbsup

I think they r fibbing for many reasons-I think ppls are starting to connect the dots now-God Help Us-WHEN it hits.!!

Bard
10-01-2005, 06:22 PM
I.N.

We are observant, and alarmed as well I suspect, at the impact this could have, on a nation so unprepared for such hardships.

We have been running this story for months!

Following it CLOSELY,

It is just NOW, that folks are beginning to wake up.

Backing off eating meat, might be a good place to start.

Canceling your vacation to Asia.

Liquidating your stock portfolio and investing in gold, wouldn't hurt either,

Cus the market will tumble.

I believe in a government being honest with their citizens, yet, I realize what an idealistic notion that is.

But this virus is here now, I believe, and bigger across the nations then they are letting on,

I believe to lie about such a thing is criminal.

Justify it as they try, it is criminal in my view.

Especially, when they KNOW it mutates, MEANING, they will not even find a vaccine to do shit!

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Looks like I may need to find a way to set aside more than just 3 months of my meds.

It's a fine, fine line to try and walk between informing the people and maintaining the status quo.

To either side lies ruin.

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Good grief, Bard. You're such an alarmist.

Do you remember Ebola? What about SARS?

Oops! Forgot AIDS. And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Perhaps you should change your id to Chicken Little (appropriate in several ways for the subject matter, don't cha think? :D ).

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 06:49 PM
S/F, I think we merely dodged the bullet with SARS.
To talk about and prepare may be somewhat alarmist, but it's safer and saner than ignoring everything.

Better Chicken Little than an ostrich.

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 06:57 PM
S/F, I think we merely dodged the bullet with SARS.
To talk about and prepare may be somewhat alarmist, but it's safer and saner than ignoring everything.

Better Chicken Little than an ostrich. Better Chicken Little? Perfect. Then we won't have to worry about Pandemics, because the entire US population will already have Panic Disorder.

Do you do what you can to avoid viruses in your daily life, or do you change your lifestyle at the last moment, in an effort to avoid the "big" one?

Everyone should have adopted a lifestyle that lessens the chance for infection. The information is out there. If people choose to ignore it, they should expect to get sick.

I work at a school, around snotty-nosed, sneezing, coughing, vomitting children everyday. I (and others who work there) get sick much less often than my friends who are not in that field.

randy
10-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Stinky

Don't take anything for granted here please. Why don't you share what you do that significantly lessens your chances of getting sick. I'm not being cute here, lots of people either don't know or have forgotten the basics.

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 07:08 PM
When did the entire US population enter into this?
I don't understand.
Of course you try to avoid getting sick every day, and not just on special occasions.

But flu pandemics have swept across the globe three times in the last hundred years.

Is it alarmist to see signs and become concerned?

Bard
10-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Stinky

WHO, is the organization releasing the alarming possibilites of a worldwide pandemic that could kill UP to 150-300 million people worldwide.

Perhaps you don't keep up with such daily releases.

But it is they, you should perhaps address, with your chicken little remarks yes?

I only report the news, these reports raging across the world are their releases, along with others, top scientists in the world.

But afterall, I'm sure you are in a better postion, to judge, than these,

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Stinky

Don't take anything for granted here please. Why don't you share what you do that significantly lessens your chances of getting sick. I'm not being cute here, lots of people either don't know or have forgotten the basics.

Thanks, Randy. I'm not professional, but this is what I think (since you asked :p ).

Most of it is common sense - Avoid doing things that will make you sick. Don't have unprotected sex, or share a needle with someone who has not been tested for AIDS. If you know you are deathly allergic to nuts, don't eat a PB&J sandwich. Don't share your soda or cigarette, or anything else that comes in contact with others' saliva. Don't smoke, don't do drugs.

Eat well, keep your environment and your body clean, and wash your hands (with regular soap and water).

But I also believe that one of the worst things people can do is eliminate their exposure to germs.

When I first started working at the medical office (many years ago), I caught everything, and I was in my early 20s. But as the months passed, I started to get sick less and less often and eventually rarely got sick at all.

I believe that building a powerful immune system means giving it the opportunity to strengthen itself by "feeding" it well, and exposing it to germs it can fight off, so that even if it can't totally fight off a hazardous virus, it will lessen its effects and (hopefully) keep it from becoming deadly.

I realize this does not work for everyone, because there are groups that are at greater risk than others. And even though a person does everything right, there is still a possibility they will get ill, and die. But if that does happen, it unfortunately was their destiny.

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Stinky

WHO, is the organization releasing the alarming possibilites of a worldwide pandemic that could kill UP to 150-300 million people worldwide.

Perhaps you don't keep up with such daily releases.

But it is they, you should perhaps address, with your chicken little remarks yes?

I only report the news, these reports raging across the world are their releases, along with others, top scientists in the world.

But afterall, I'm sure you are in a better postion, to judge, than these, I'm all for informing people, but I am against tactics that cultivate hysteria or desperation.

And if you'd report good news every once in a while, I'd feel you were more balanced in your assessment of world events.

Bard
10-01-2005, 07:32 PM
[/QUOTE]I'm all for informing people, but I am against tactics that cultivate hysteria or desperation.[QUOTE]

So you are against the WHO organization then correct?

They are the ones that reported these findings.

Is that correct?

You accuse the WHO organization for alarming the world falsely, and creating hysteria?

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 07:36 PM
What findings??

Your original post does not support your allegation.

Bard
10-01-2005, 07:41 PM
We have articles on it, all over the board Stinky, no time to play games, sorry.

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 08:16 PM
We have articles on it, all over the board Stinky, no time to play games, sorry. Bard, there is no doubt this flu has the potential to become a pandemic. But WHO is taking steps to avoid that.

I just would like to know how you made the leap to a government conspiracy hiding the existence of Avian Flu in North America, based upon the deaths of some elderly people in a nursing home in Canada.

Bard
10-01-2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9535929/

Bard
10-01-2005, 10:26 PM
A very informative link

http://volokh.com/posts/1116442273.shtml

Bard
10-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Updated: 08:42 PM EDT
Cirque du Soleil Cancels Performances Due to Flu

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051001201909990002

MINNEAPOLIS (Oct. 1) - Cirque du Soleil canceled its two performances of "Corteo" in Minneapolis Saturday after more than two dozen performers became ill with the stomach flu.

A spokeswoman for the Montreal-based acrobatic performing company said performers began getting sick Friday and some already were recovering. The company said between 25 and 30 of its performers were stricken.

"When you have the stomach flu, even if it's lasting only 24 hours, when you come in the next day and you're dizzy, we certainly don't want you to go up on a high wire and try to do a high wire act," said spokesman Melanie Houley.

"It just doesn't make sense for anyone," Houley said.

So the company canceled shows scheduled for 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday.

Customer were told that tickets were still available for the company's other performances in Minneapolis. "Corteo" opened on Sept. 23 and runs through Oct. 23.

10/01/05 20:17 EDT