PDA

View Full Version : How useless are you?

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Talking about the bird flu in another thread got me to thinking. "Info", I said to myself, "if the wheels come off there's not going to be much call for computer consultants".

So I got to thinking about it. What would you/could you do?
Would you pitch in to help your fellow man, or would you head for the hills?

Given a handful of people, I could keep a power plant and a small distribution grid operating as long as the fuel, spares, and lubricants held out.

Other than that I'm fairly useless.

InfoNut

wintertao
10-01-2005, 06:22 PM
im beyond fairly useless

im ugly useless

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Now THAT was friggin funny.
WinterTao, you made me laugh out loud.

Wolfhoundowner
10-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Info, your question reminded me of Stephen King's book The Stand.....I reread it for probably the 10th time a couple weeks ago.

For those of you who don't know the story, it's a post-apocalyptic tale of good vs. evil after a military-created superflu kills about 98% of the world's population.

Those people that are left sort of choose up sides and make a 'stand' to see who will win.

But I thought the best part of the story was reading about how the survivors dealt with the modern conveniences being gone -- no power, no running water, no heat (or AC), no cars (for the most part).....and no doctors or other professionals.

Having an attack of appendicitis is no big deal in this nice, modern era (usually) -- but it's sure a problem when there aren't any docs around to do surgery to fix you up.

As for me? Sure, I'll go be useful if I can -- but as my area of expertise is mostly with animals, someone's going to have to tell me HOW to be useful. Hell, I went to college -- I'm sure I could do SOMETHING.

pplantlady
10-01-2005, 06:37 PM
I could keep your houseplants thriving ....... that's what I do.....but if it was really bad...... I could feed the masses and I WOULD.
I used to be a motion picture caterer and the most I've fed at one time was about 500 peeps....with help of course. :)
So I guess my answer would be kitchen duty. Anybody hungry?
Plant
aka Happy Cooker

InfoNut
10-01-2005, 06:43 PM
That's it... if it all goes down, I'm hangin' with Plant.

Info(The Stomach)Nut

Wolfhoundowner
10-01-2005, 06:44 PM
That's it... if it all goes down, I'm hangin' with Plant.

Info(The Stomach)Nut

Ditto. Go where the food is!

Now we just need a hunter......'cuz I like meat ;)

basca
10-01-2005, 08:14 PM
What I currently am doing would be one of those things people would "cut back on" as it is not a necessity in life.

However, I learned long ago not to limit yourself in what you can do. I've done everything from cleaning houses, to the work I do now, I can do minor plumbing repairs, manual labor doesn't bother me, give me a shovel, whatever, I will learn to adapt in order to survive and keep going. I'm not a wimp when it comes to that stuff.

Peregrina
10-01-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm a farmer. gimme a horse or someone to pull the plow and I can grow stuff.

jdansam
10-02-2005, 10:30 AM
My friend Lazarus says:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Conning a ship is out as is planning an invasion.

InfoNut
10-02-2005, 10:46 AM
My friend Lazarus says:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

All respects to Mr. Long, but there's only so much time and talent in one persons life.
I couldn't write a sonnet to win a million dollars, even if there was only one other entry... written by a rabid wombat.

Info(THe Un-poet)Nut

Blackeyedpeas
10-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I can perhaps do well for awhile. I can hunt, grow food, and make herbal poultices butcher a hog, deer, squirrel, rabbit, chicken or whatever comes my way, and I know how to cure meat if need be and I know how to sterilize water. I can comfort folks. If I cannot do anything for a person, I can pray with them. I can write poetry, but it probably wouldn't make any sense to anyone buy me. I can and have shoveled manure. I(Lord knows I have waded through plenty on some of the boards !! ) :laugh

Other than that, I am about as handy as boobs on a bull. !!

Peazer

PS Oh yeah, and I can sail a boat as long as it isn't larger than 45' long. Bigger boats intimidate me.

thesunnyone
10-02-2005, 05:45 PM
As long as styx, psyche and soma hold out, I would attempt anything. But I would be quickly relagated to child-tending.

Wrenchbender
10-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Society as we know it requires specialization. Lazarus had a good idea there, but I've never butchered a hog. I reckon if I have to do it sometime, I'll do it.
I've never tiled a countertop, either, but I'm about to give it a try.

I fix airplanes. So if society collapses, there probably won't be much airplane flyin' goin' on. Might have to take up hog butcherin' then.

Bard
10-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Wrench,

Bout time you got here man :rahrah

Welcome to our new home.

Happy birthday

Wrench sails too, he should have stated that! :tiphat

Peregrina
10-02-2005, 08:36 PM
My friend Lazarus says:

Conning a ship is out as is planning an invasion.

let's see.....

change a diaper - check

plan an invasion - oh, I can plan one all right, but I don't guarantee it will work.

butcher a hog - check - unfortunately

conn a ship - ???? I can't even get a raft to float on the tank down in the field so if the world is flooded I'm pretty much sunk. pun intended.

design a building - walls, roof, door, window....sure, but it won't be pretty

write a sonnet - Petrarchan or Shakespearean?

balance accounts - that's the time when pens are thrown, calculators die violent deaths and in the end, the whole thing is fed to the paper shredder

build a wall - check - this I can do quite well, actually

set a bone - sometimes I have problems getting the bone back in place

comfort the dying - check

take orders - would you like fries with that?

give orders - forward march!

cooperate - you take the high road and I'll take the low road, and I'll be there before you

act alone - is it all right if my voices come along for company?

solve equations - 2+2 = cosign 34/pi

analyze new problems - how did this get here?

pitch manure - check - unfortunately

program a computer - we're doomed :)

cook a tasy meal - is edible okay? because tasty is kinda iffy

fight efficiently - is there an efficient way to throw rocks and swing a pitchfork? farm kid, remember?

die gallantly - as if.

specialization is for insects - now you gotta admit that ants and bees seem to have everything well in hand, you don't see them about to destroy the world.

Bard
10-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Poet.
:ohwell

Peregrina
10-02-2005, 08:57 PM
there is always a need for poets, minstrels and bards, Bard. they are the ones that tell the stories and the histories

Bard
10-02-2005, 09:34 PM
there is always a need for poets, minstrels and bards, Bard. they are the ones that tell the stories and the histories

And the seanachies of time bow

:tiphat