PDA

View Full Version : Volcano in El Salvador Erupts Killing Two

Bard
10-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Updated: 09:27 PM EDT
El Salvador Volcano Erupts, Prompting Evacuations
By EDGAR ROMERO, AP

PALO CAMPANA, El Salvador (Oct. 1) - A volcano in western El Salvador erupted on Saturday, sending a column of ash 50,000 feet into the air and killing two farmers buried by chunks of earth and boiling water that tumbled down the slopes.

Authorities ordered the evacuation of three communities in the shadow of the Ilamatepec volcano, which towers near Santa Ana, the country's second largest city, 40 miles from San Salvador, the capital.

"The volcano has entered an eruptive phase that consists of ashes and gases," Interior Secretary Rene Figueroa said.

It was unclear how many people had been ordered to leave their homes. Figueroa said as many as 10,000 residents live close to the volcano, but that most areas were not evacuated.

Emergency response officials said two farmers died and two other residents of the coffee-growing town of Palo Campana were missing.

The ground was smoldering when soldiers arrived to assist in the evacuations. Falling ash had destroyed coffee crops and damaged trees in surrounding forests.

Small bodies of water were steaming and bubbling from the heat and ash covered the ground as far as the eye could see. Problems with landslides worsened as afternoon rains pelted the area.

"We have had an eruption of moderate magnitude," President Tony Saca said during a visit to the country's national emergency response headquarters. But he added that "there was no lava."

"Everyone is helping, first to save lives and get people out, because we don't know what is going to happen," he said.

Figueroa said air force flights over Ilamatepec "confirmed that it emitted a column of ash that reached 50,000 feet high."

10/01/05 19:01 EDT

basca
10-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks for posting this. As usual, main stream mediea doesn't even cover stories like this. :ohwell

Bard
10-01-2005, 08:11 PM
basca, there were fatalities here, the first I have heard of in years resulting from a Volcano eruption.

I said we would start seeing them, (volcanic eruptions) and it is just the beginning.

Matter a fact, I cannot remember the last fatality connected to a volcanic eruption, I believe it has been years and years, I could be wrong.

basca
10-01-2005, 08:20 PM
You have been saying that for a while. I don't know why, but in the back of my mind I always think Yellowstone is just going to surprise everyone real quick and boom. Major problems. That place is fascinating to me.

Anyway, I just googled and found this site, maybe you already had it, but I put in my bookmarks to watch. http://www.volcano.si.edu/reports/usgs/

Bard
10-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Cool site basca, yes, I am familiar with it,

Mt St Helens blew bad, was it the seventies?

But yes, shes ready to blow.

I believe we are going to see new volcanic erputions in places where they never even expected it, nor knew the capability was even there.

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Volcanos have hardly been dormant . . . (sorry, I couldn't get this to C&P in a readable form):

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763388.html

basca
10-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Mt. St. Helen's was in 1980, blew out the side I believe.

There is a ton of stuff on Yellowstone if you google it. But this is an old article that I have kept, to me it was very interesting. http://www.mayanmajix.com/art297.html I have watched various article be posted about animals dying there because of the gasses in the air are killing them off, then all of a sudden they disappear. I always wonder why they don't want people knowing about it. :ohwell (actually my cynical side does have thoughts on it)

Bard
10-01-2005, 08:39 PM
None said they had been dormant Stinky :)

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 08:49 PM
I said we would start seeing them, (volcanic eruptions) and it is just the beginning.
None said they had been dormant Stinky :)
Well geez, Bard. With all that activity, don't 'cha think that from time-to-time there would be an eruption, and someone's going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?! :ohwell

basca
10-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Some say that when one erupts it can set off a chain reaction with the others. It's not Bard being looney about it Stinky.

Bard
10-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Volcanos are seldom EVER dormant Stinky, but they do NOT erupt and kill that often Ok?

Why don't you keep yourself busy, by starting a good news thread, then go find some.

You claim there is so much out there.

stinky*felix
10-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Volcanos are seldom EVER dormant Stinky, but they do NOT erupt and kill that often Ok?

Why don't you keep yourself busy, by starting a good news thread, then go find some.

You claim there is so much out there. Bard, did you notice all those eruptions? They were in just the last 10 years. I'm sure that some poor schmoe was asleep in his hut when one or more hit.

And I will go find a nice, happy story. Maybe that can be my mission here - to offset the bad with the good. :thumbsup

Bard
10-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Updated: 11:37 PM EDT
El Salvador volcano kills two, thousands flee

By Rene Tobar, Reuters

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051001233709990002

PALO CAMPANA, El Salvador (Reuters) - El Salvador's largest volcano erupted for the first time in a century on Saturday, killing two people and forcing thousands to flee their homes.

The Ilamatepec volcano, also known as Santa Ana, hurled out hot rocks, ash and boiling water on Saturday morning and a massive plume of smoke rose more than 10 miles into the air.

Two people were killed under a landslide caused by the volcano's eruption in the small community of Palo Campana, near the crater, the government said.

A few homes were destroyed. "I have lost everything. I have no money, nothing, just my children and my husband," said 73-year-old Rosa Flores, whose small home was set ablaze by a red-hot rock as she made breakfast.

A 12-year-old boy, Fernando Gonzalez, was desperately looking for his parents. "I'm scared. I saw big stones fall and one had smoke coming from it."

El Salvador's government declared a red alert and evacuated more than 4,000 people by late afternoon with 3,000 more expected to be moved out.

"The important thing is to save people, that is the first phase of this emergency," President Tony Saca told reporters.

Ilamatepec is the largest of El Salvador's 23 volcanoes and stands 7,800 feet above sea level in a major coffee-growing area about 40 miles west of the capital.

Its last eruption was in 1904 but it has been increasingly active since last year.

Homes and vehicles were covered in a thick layer of ash, and some of the area's coffee plantations were damaged.

"Many trees have been burned, for sure," said Sergio Gil, who leads the Procafe coffee institute. "It is a delicate situation, the ashes have reached as far as Apaneca, about 25 kilometers (15 miles) from the crater."

The coffee-growing region around Ilamatepec accounts for a large chunk of El Salvador's coffee output.

The nearby city of Santa Ana escaped damage from the volcanic eruption.

(Additional reporting by Alberto Barrera in San Salvador)