PDA

View Full Version : Cooing at new-born babies banned

basca
10-01-2005, 09:00 PM
:wtf

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4284522.stm

A West Yorkshire hospital has banned visitors from cooing at new-born babies over fears their human rights are being breached and to reduce infection.
A statement from Calderdale Royal Hospital in Halifax said staff had held an advice session to highlight the need for respect and dignity for patients.

On one ward there is a doll featuring the message: "What makes you think I want to be looked at?"

But Labour MP Linda Riordan said the measures were "bureaucracy gone mad".

She told the Halifax Courier: "All mothers want people to admire their babies because all babies are beautiful.

"But in a case where a mother did not want to answer questions it should be up to that individual to say so."

Some new mothers have already said they are astonished by the rules which stop people asking questions about their babies or looking at them in maternity wards.

Debbie Lawson, neo-natal manager at the hospital's special care baby unit, said: "Cooing should be a thing of the past because these are little people with the same rights as you or me.

'Infection control'

"We often get visitors wandering over to peer into cots but people sometimes touch or talk about the baby like they would if they were examining tins in a supermarket and that should not happen."

A spokeswoman for Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Trust said the advice was as much to do with reducing infection as it was upholding "rights".

In a statement she said: "Staff were wishing to highlight issues of potential confidentiality, especially for young babies and their parents in what can be emotional times.

"Infection control was also a key part of the message as the unit deals with very small babies with very vulnerable immune systems."

randy
10-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Well that has got to be one of the STUPIDEST things I have ever heard of.

That is ridiculous. STUPID FREAKING BUREAUCRACY!!

Peregrina
10-01-2005, 09:22 PM
well, I think they have gone too far, but I do see their point.

I'm constantly amazed at how people will walk up to newborns and touch and tickle them, coo at them. think about it for a moment, if that person has a cold, those cold germs are speeding on the fast track to that baby.
call me anal and possessive, but I don't want total strangers touching my baby!
the same with pregnant women. I've seen total strangers come up to my friends adn touch their bellies without even a by-your-leave!!! I don't think so. come near me and I'll bite that hand off.

it's one thing to look at a baby and say, oh, she's so pretty. what's her name? it's another to walk over and tickle the poor mite under the chin or start baby-talking to it.

randy
10-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I total agree with Peregrina about the touching whether it be the baby or the mother. I really don't like for anyone to invade my personal space without being invited and would never think about invading someone elses without being invited and even then may not, as I am not a real touchy person.

I have always thought of cooing as "ooooohhh your sooooo cute!!!!!!" How old is the precious little thing. Guess I am old fashioned. :)

Wolfhoundowner
10-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I never minded anyone looking at my son and telling me he was cute or asking me how old he was or whatever. But what I DID mind was when a total stranger once tried to pick him up.

What the hell possesses people to do that? I said something along the lines of 'Excuse me, but what the hell do you think you're doing?!' And this woman actually had the nerve to look shocked.

I thankfully didn't have the stranger touching my belly problem....but then again, I didn't really have that big a belly, even in my 8th and 9th months.

stinky*felix
10-02-2005, 09:40 AM
"Infection control was also a key part of the message as the unit deals with very small babies with very vulnerable immune systems." Good grief. Let's place the blame on the visitors, instead of the hospital for not protecting its patients.

They don't have windows in the UK?

gabby
10-02-2005, 08:19 PM
I hated for anyone to touch my belly while I carried my children, I didn't even want my doctor to touch my belly! As for my babies, my parents were lucky to get to hold them.

Although, one time in FT Worth Texas, my oldest was like 5 months old, and this strange (and I do mean strange) woman came up to me in one of the larger department stores there, and told me she wanted to hold my baby cuz she was such a pretty baby. I looked at her and told her she would be dead long before she ever got her hands on my baby, so she could back off and do it fast. She did and she didn't even look back. Along about that time there was a lot of babies being kidnapped, and it scared the wad outta me when that happened.

I think babies need to hear voices, especially parents and siblings. As for tickling, well that is silly, but to talk to a newborn, is good. I honestly believe that pulled my premature nephew through a really hard start in life. He weighed 2 1/2 lbs at birth, and all the family were always there talking to him. We couldnt' touch him because he was too sensitive and his heart would start racing too fast, but he would be so calm when he was being talked to. But it needs to be real words and not baby goo goo talk.

Peregrina
10-02-2005, 08:23 PM
agreed, gabby. when I talk to kids and babies, I talk to them like they can actually understand me, since if nothing else they can undestand my tone of voice. odldy enough , I do the same to animals, talk to them like they can understand me.

gabby
10-02-2005, 08:28 PM
agreed, gabby. when I talk to kids and babies, I talk to them like they can actually understand me, since if nothing else they can undestand my tone of voice. odldy enough , I do the same to animals, talk to them like they can understand me.

I talk to animals that way too. It is strange how that will stand and listen to you, like they know what you are saying. When I am out taking pictures in the wild, I will talk to the animals in a soft monotone voice in hopes it keeps their interest long enough to get a good photo. Most often it works. I do believe that babies and animals will respond to real talking.