PDA

View Full Version : Ad Campaign Warns Tourists About New Florida Gun Law

randy
10-02-2005, 07:40 AM
http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1353780.html?view=print

Ad Campaign Warns Tourists About New Florida Gun Law
Susan Jones
Senior Editor

(CNSNews.com) - A gun control group is trying scare tourists away from Florida, where a new self-defense law allows people to shoot anyone who breaks into a home, occupied vehicle, or place of business.

Under the new law, the intruder is presumed to have criminal intent, justifying the use of force. The law also removes a person's "duty to retreat" if that person is attacked in any place he or she has a right to be.

Supporters call it the "Stand Your Ground" law, but opponents call it the "Shoot First" law.

Gov. Bush called it "a good, commonsense, anti-crime" law that defers to the law-abiding victim.

But the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said the new law will protect "every rogue with an itchy trigger finger in Florida."

The Brady Campaign on Tuesday announced the launch of what it calls a "public education effort" to inform potential Florida tourists that come October 1, when the new law takes effect, "they face a greater risk of bodily harm within the state of Florida."

"Individuals who are unfamiliar with Florida's roads, traffic regulations and customs, or who speak foreign languages, or look different than Florida residents, may face a higher risk of danger -- because they may be more likely to be perceived as threatening by Floridians, and because they are unaware of Florida's new law that says individual who feel their safety is threatened or their possessions are at risk are legally authorized to use deadly force," the Brady Campaign said in a press release.

"We think people visiting Florida should be aware of this law, and act accordingly," said Sarah Brady, chair of the Brady Campaign. "Visitors should be very careful about getting into an aggressive argument with anyone during their stay."

The Brady Campaign said it will run advertisements in key U.S. gateway cities feeding tourists to Florida, starting with Chicago, Detroit and Boston; and in selected overseas markets beginning with the United Kingdom beginning on Sunday, Oct. 2.

Information from the gun control group's point of view is going out to journalists as well as trade and travel publications.

The ad reads: "Thinking about a Florida vacation? Please ensure your family is safe. A new law in the Sunshine State authorizes nervous or frightened residents to use deadly force. In Florida, avoid disputes. Use special caution in arguing with motorists on Florida roads. Police and prosecutors are concerned about the potential for unnecessary violence."

On Saturday, Oct. 1, the Brady Campaign said trained staff will begin distributing educational materials to passengers arriving at Miami International Airport; and the effort may extend to additional airport in coming weeks.

The pamphlets read, in part: "The 'Shoot First' law is a new law in Florida that police, prosecuting attorneys and gun violence prevention advocates worry may lead to the reckless use of guns on the streets of Florida cities. Before the law was passed, Floridians could carry concealed guns in public places, but they could only use those guns as a last resort when safe avoidance of injury was otherwise not possible. The new law eliminates the duty to avoid the threat and, instead, allows the gun user to 'shoot first' to eliminate the threat."

The flyer suggests specific steps visitors should take: "Avoid unnecessary arguments with local people; stay in their cars and keep hands in plain sight if involved in a traffic accident or near-miss; and maintain a positive attitude and avoid shouting or threatening gestures if someone appears to be hostile toward them.

"It is not difficult to imagine likely situations in which individuals may use lethal force where they did not before," the Brady Campaign said.

"An argument on the highway, or a disagreement in a restaurant or nightclub, or a dispute over belongings in a public place such as a beach could lead to unnecessary use of force."

randy
10-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I like this new law. I see no reason why anyone should have to retreat in their home or anywhere else they might be, that they have a right to be, because of some thug threatening them.

If enough of these low lifes get their faces blown off and see that nothing is going to be done about it maybe they will think twice about some of THEIR murdering, rape and thievery. IMHO

Buckeye1sid
10-02-2005, 07:43 AM
I think all gun toters in Florida should be shot!

lake brat
10-02-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't see a problem with the new law, although I would like to read the exact wording of it. Seems it basically includes your vechicle and the space you occupy under the "Castle domain", not just your home. You don't HAVE to try to get away from a thug before you can use a firearm where as before you did. I'm sure there will be a lot of PR & BS about it tho.

lake brat

Bleep
10-02-2005, 09:37 AM
"Visitors should be very careful about getting into an aggressive argument with anyone during their stay."

well DUH.

Doesn't that go for anywhere? If this law makes people's public conduct a little more cautious, GOOD.
But it remains to be seen whether it leads to MORE violence and death or less.

Interesting social experiment. Remind me to strike DisneyWorld off my list of vacation spots.

Dr. Horsefeathers rarely leaves the farm

stinky*felix
10-02-2005, 09:49 AM
A gun control group is trying scare tourists away from Florida, where a new self-defense law allows people to shoot anyone who breaks into a home, occupied vehicle, or place of business.

So does FL law allow its citizens to carry a weapon wherever they may be?

Are they allowed to be concealed, or do they have to strap them to their hip, gunslinger-style?

And if I dislike someone, can I invite him over for coffee and shoot him when he enters the house, then say he was threatening my safety? Or maybe I can ask him to see why my car isn't starting. Or maybe I can get him to come to my shop after it is closed.

FL must have just been a marsh during the "Old West," so I guess they want to make up for an era they lost. :ohwell

jdansam
10-02-2005, 09:55 AM
One of the results could be that the bad guys come in anticipating armed resistance and bring bigger / badder weapons with no thought of leaving breathing victims at the scene. On the other hand any stranger in my home will be plucking cross-bow bolts out of his eyes and ass if he don't shoot me first.

momahedger
10-02-2005, 04:33 PM
I like this new law. I see no reason why anyone should have to retreat in their home or anywhere else they might be, that they have a right to be, because of some thug threatening them.

If enough of these low lifes get their faces blown off and see that nothing is going to be done about it maybe they will think twice about some of THEIR murdering, rape and thievery. IMHO :thumbsup :tiphat

now OH has had a gun carrying law for over a year now. I will say that it has added to my PTSD but the bad guys have the guns anyway and I am considering getting a handgun and getting the training that goes with it. just for our home or if I am out alone at night. which would not be anytime soon. :ohwell

but we are having alot of attacks in cars, outside of homes, home invasions etc in this area of OH, I cannot speak for wolfie but almost everyday there is at least one person if not two killed by gunfire in a drive by or a home invasion or an attack.

(so you all wonder why I stay inside with my JRT and my alarm on :) )

now the situation that stinky has suggested would be considered entrapment I bet and would still be illegal. :happy

but I do not think that people being able to carry guns has anything to do with their needing to be registered. I still say that if you cannot wait for the 3 days for the registration time frame then you need to be talking to someone.

momahedger
10-02-2005, 04:34 PM
One of the results could be that the bad guys come in anticipating armed resistance and bring bigger / badder weapons with no thought of leaving breathing victims at the scene. On the other hand any stranger in my home will be plucking cross-bow bolts out of his eyes and ass if he don't shoot me first.
I think that is the case Jdansam and people are getting tired of it.

lake brat
10-02-2005, 05:13 PM
The criminals will ALWAYS have their guns, on the street, all it takes is $$$$, cash talks, BS walks. Conceal/Carry laws help to level the playing field. Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate arming every man, woman & teen with a 9mm. Many non-criminals have no business owning a firearm even it is is their right/previlage. But I know I feel better leaving my business after dark with my 38 cal. in my purse. Iowa has had conceal/carry for years, have to take a class and they can require you to actually shoot at a range if the instructor questions your abilities.

lake brat

bagbalm
10-02-2005, 05:22 PM
The tourist coming from England might also be told also that violent street crime in Florida is about half what they experience at home where all law abiding citizens are disarmed.
In England they are even talking about making all knives with points illegal. You wouldn't even be able to own a kitchen knife unless it was a drop point or clever style.

I don't know how they will outlaw sticks and rocks.

Peregrina
10-02-2005, 10:02 PM
here in Texas, it isn't that uncommon to see trucks go by with rifles or shotguns on the hat rack. can't tell you how much safer that makes me feel when I see Bubba in his Ford pickup, beer can in one hand, driving down the highway.

obviously, I have not qualms about defending myself or those I care about when I am threatened. Knife, rock, boiling water, pitchfork, whatever comes to hand. but usually not a gun, since I don't like the noise it makes.

when I go walking at night, I take my walking stick and if someone approaches I will make damn sure they know I can break their bones with the thing, but I WON'T PICK A FIGHT. maybe I am reading too much into this law, but that is the way it reads to me. guy cuts you off at the light, get out of your car, yell and scream, pull a gun, you can claim you were threatened - even if the other person was unarmed. it sounds like they are giving bullies permission to be bullies.