PDA

View Full Version : Freefalling

pplantlady
09-19-2005, 09:13 PM
I was so lucky to be able to go Skydiving this past May with some friends. It was my first time and it was fabulous! We will be going again soon. (I know.....we're nuts :thud )
I would have posted the pics before but I couldn't quite figure out how to resize them and the files were huge! There are a couple more but for some reason they just won't resize but these will give you the idea. It was such a BLAST!

This is my friend .....she went first.......This is the view I saw when I got to the door of the plane. (door????? it's a freeking gaping hole! )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/pplantlady/009_9.jpg

In this picture I'm still stunned.....my legs aren't where they are supposed to be yet. I think I was still catching my breath :rofl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/pplantlady/017_17.jpg

I got the hang of it now......
Flying like a bird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/pplantlady/011_11.jpg

You jump out at 13,000 feet and freefall 8,000 feet. IT TAKES 50 SECONDS!
Once you pull the cord your parachute ride of the remaining 5,000 feet takes about 5-6 minutes. It's so awesome!
Anyone want to join us next time?
Plant

Bard
09-19-2005, 09:18 PM
[/QUOTE]Anyone want to join us next time?
Plant[QUOTE]

Yes, I do. I always wanted to, I'm actually afraid I might chicken out though. :ohwell

Thanks for sharing these, It's always been a dream of mine, hanggliding too.

pplantlady
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
"Yes, I do. I always wanted to, I'm actually afraid I might chicken out though. "

You are more than welcome to join us Rod. What a wonderful day that would be!

I probably would have chickened out too if it wasn't for my friend..... I couldn't let her get the best of me! lol
Her daughter had jumped a few months before and once the ball started rolling for us.....there was no turning back. Actually once I had the short Q&A session with Vinnie (a jump master there) all of my fears disappeared and I was ready. In fact I ate a huge meal just before they called our names to go. A cakewalk.....except for the first 10 seconds or so.
I always wanted to Bungee jump off of a bridge but it pales in comparison to the skydive...... so I'll jump out of a plane again......much more fun....I'm guessing. I would never do it alone though.....
I'd much rather pay the money and let someone else have the worry of getting me down safely. It was definately a RUSH!
So when would you like to try it? We haven't made our reservations yet. We'd love to have you and IP join us. Ever been to Perris Valley?
If you google Perris Valley Skydive you can see where we went and watch their cams.
Come on Bard.......you'd LOVE IT!!!!!
Plant

Bard
09-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Perris swamp yes, I mean Lake, yes, I know it.

Honestly Plant, I do not think you should hold off on your reservation waiting for me :laugh

We plan to get down that way and visit my old stomping grounds, somewhere in time, perhaps then we can have a go at it :happy

We truly do appreciate the invite...

I'm worried bout that shoot not opening. :thud

pplantlady
09-21-2005, 09:37 PM
I think there's two shoots.....just in case :laugh
Give a holler when you two make it down this way........
You won't be too far away and maybe we could do lunch or something......
like maybe SKYDIVE .....
really Rod...... you'll love it!
Plant

Bard
09-21-2005, 10:34 PM
I think there's two shoots.....just in case :laugh
Give a holler when you two make it down this way........
You won't be too far away and maybe we could do lunch or something......
like maybe SKYDIVE .....
really Rod...... you'll love it!
Plant

You fucking THINK theres two shoots!???? :wtf

Did you say you THINK???? :thud

:rofl

Get back to me when you KNOW!

OK plant?? :ohwell

pplantlady
09-21-2005, 10:45 PM
OK there really is two shoots......but you won't need both of them :rofl
The second one is there.......just in case. :winky
Come on Bard.....it's really quite easy.....
After all....... I DID IT!
:rahrah
Plant

Bard
09-21-2005, 10:48 PM
plant..

Do you think a lot of folks hurl :laugh

It seems like the instructor on top,

Would be in a precarious position for that sort of thing eh? :rofl

pplantlady
09-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I asked my instuctor that very question .....and he said NO
With his thousands of jumps no one has ever hurled on him......
It's really not that bad.....once you get the hang of it.
They might have wet their pants a time or two or lost their dentures......but hurl?....
No.....not that he's experienced.
Does that help?
Plant

Bard
09-21-2005, 10:58 PM
I asked my instuctor that very question .....and he said NO
With his thousands of jumps no one has ever hurled on him......
It's really not that bad.....once you get the hang of it.
They might have wet their pants a time or two or lost their dentures......but hurl?....
No.....not that he's experienced.
Does that help?
Plant

No.

I love the center action though :rahrah

Great post! :clap

pplantlady
09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks to your Sweetie....I figured out the centering thing.
A big thanks IP :rahrah :rahrah
Thank you too Rod..... :thankyou
Plant

Bleep
09-22-2005, 08:54 AM
First, I love this new board with all its features, especially the "preview" feature that lets you put your cursor over a title and see the first few lines of a post.

Second, never ever post about skydiving on a BB! I am freakishly amazed that no-one has trotted out their disaster stories yet. So I'll start.

There are not two full chutes. ( Its parachutes not pair o' shoots :p )
There is a small pilot chute that helps drag the full chute out. If the full chute is tangled, the pilot chute might be enough to land on. Then, some people have survived falls from 10,000 feet with relatively minor injuries. (if you call a smashed pelvis and two broken legs minor).

I did the tandem drop like PPlant, about 15 years ago. I went with a team of very experienced jumpers. Of the four of us that jumped that time, the instructor who carried me down, is now a quadraplegic in fulltime insititutional care after his chute did not fully open about 7 years ago. Tragic. He had some brain damage too, since when he broke his neck, he was unable to breathe well until the paramedics got to the fall site about 20 minutes after he dropped. I never jumped again, so I'm OK. The other two jumpers have also quit after sustaining broken legs and ankles, during NORMAL landings with fully functional chutes. And they all had hundreds of jumps under their belts before that.

I have to say, that is the closest to God I've ever been . And in the 60 second freefall and 5 minute chute float down, I struck a deal with Himself that I would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane if I landed safely. I think for a religious person, it might be a good experience.

Its an extreme sport. I used to scuba dive too, but after my "buddy" abandoned me in a cave off Cayman Brac at 90 feet, and I had to actually take all my gear off to unhook myself from a coral spire, then put it all back on again before my "buddy" realized I wasn't right behind him, I gave it up. At 90 feet, on a single tank, you have maybe 15-20 minutes of air. And you need 5-10 minutes of it to safely decompress. And we'd been down about 10 minutes already. Bard will probably appreciate this- my "buddy" was a talent agent- widely regarded in SoCal as the bottom feeders of the entertainment industry- and is no longer a friend.

So I figure one extreme sport is enough. Believe me, breaking young horses is also an extreme sport.

TwiggyAZ
09-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Your adventure reminds me of the book "Pack Your Own Shute!" what a trip!

I'm not a real risk taker, and I have absolutely no desire to skydive. But I have parasailed from the back of my father's dunebuggy. My mother wanted to try the sport first, and she broke her leg on the first try. After we got the "hang" of it, we decided to put a bigger parashute on there, a CARGO shute. This is nto a good idea as cargo shutes are made to drop JEEPS!!!

My brother was the tester for the cargo shute. I was the second in command in the dunebuggy. We get going, the shute goes up and then the dunebuggy starts going up. My father starts yelling "cut the rope, cut the rope" while I am frantically going through the tool box in the back seat to find something sharp. There was a carpet cutter, thank goodness they cut fast. So as the front tires were going off the ground I got through the rope, we slammed to the ground and brother Bob was off flying! He later landed in a tree and screwed up his back good.

I used to race cars in high school at the race track. It was called powderpuff racing!! That was exciting.

I love flying tho and have been on some pretty hairy rides in small planes, but I just don't want to jump out for some reason!

Bard
09-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Actual stats for sky-diving render it a pretty safe sport actually. :happy