PDA

View Full Version : Is religion bad, just because it's wrong?

sear
09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Some persons claim the Bible is 100% factually accurate.

Others suspect it may have taken more than 6 days to create the world as we know it.

In any case, let us for the sake of Socratic analysis consider the premise that there may be some factual flaw somewhere in the Bible. Even if so, does it matter?

Aren't Christians basically better people?
Don't devout Christians tend to abuse drugs less, take better care of their homes and yards, interact better with their communities, and prosper more?

If so, what difference would it make if there's some detail here or there which may not be exactly right, if the overall result is better for the believer?

[special thanks to IP for making this thread possible]

Peregrina
09-20-2005, 12:37 AM
That's assuming that Christians are better people. I've met good and bad of every ilk, never really noticed religion making them better or worse than anyone else.

Jannilu
09-20-2005, 03:06 AM
Aren't Christians basically better people?
Don't devout Christians tend to abuse drugs less, take better care of their homes and yards, interact better with their communities, and prosper more?

If so, what difference would it make if there's some detail here or there which may not be exactly right, if the overall result is better for the believer?

Good point & good question. For this discussion, I will assume that this is in reference to the more zealous group of christians. who want to save the rest of us from going to hell. I agree that they do live free of many vices, such as drugs & drink, however, they trade them for other vices, such as gluttony & hypocrisy. Their interaction with their community is not better. The overall result for the believer may be better, but it sucks for those who don't believe the way they do. They are forcing their beliefs on their communities at every level. Religous discrimination in reverse.

sear
09-20-2005, 05:07 AM
"never really noticed religion making them better or worse than anyone else." Pere
How about making them better than they were before they fell for it?

Example:
The guy currently serving as U.S. President is regarded (by his own father) as having been an alcoholic and a drug (cocaine?) abuser. He may have been involved in a DUI incident related to this.
But instead of being all @#%$ed up on drink and drugs, he's now all @#%$ed up on JC. So instead of blowing chunks in the kitchen, he's now blowing humans into chunks by the thousands.

Hmmm, alright. Bad example.
But I hope you get the idea ...

Strut around town Sunday morning. See who is the best dressed. I'm guessing you'll find the Christians win the Sunday AM fashion show in a walk.

BunnyBun
09-20-2005, 05:11 AM
Religion isn't bad or wrong by itself. It's just used improperly by those who have their own ends to justify, whether those ends be political or personal.

Of course there are factual errors in the Bible. I'm no Christian but even I agree that there are important messages in the Bible, and things to learn from Jesus and the other figures in the Bible stories.

Believe me, there are plenty of bad people who call themselves Christian. Our jail is full of them.

:ohwell

Interesting, I can see a lot more emoticons at this site than at the old one.

OldHubcap
09-20-2005, 06:11 AM
I look at religion as something that guides ones moral and ethical travels. In that respect, most religions arenít bad.

There also people who arenít affiliated with any particular religion that are just as morally and ethically good as any religious individual. There are also other religions besides all the variants of Christianity, such as Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism etc. The practitioners of these faiths are just as good as good Christians.

The issues of factual correctness only arise when some sects take very literal interpretations of non-moral aspects of their particular religious revelations and these interpretations run afoul of scientific evidence.

Caped Crusader
09-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Aren't Christians basically better people?No.

Don't devout Christians tend to abuse drugs lessNobody could use a nice joint better than a bunch of evangelicals.

take better care of their homes and yards :wtf

interact better with their communitiesIf by interact with, you mean judge...

Or you could always look to Eric Rudolph or Dennis Rader for an example of just how much "better" Christians are at interacting with their communities.

and prosper more?If Christians prosper more, are they really Christians? Doesn't Christ tell us to abandon material wealth?

Strut around town Sunday morning. See who is the best dressed. I'm guessing you'll find the Christians win the Sunday AM fashion show in a walk.Again, this contradicts the teachings of Christ. If any of these so-called "Christians" ever bothered to read what their "savior" had to say, they would realize that putting on your "Sunday best" and dumping cash into some guy's pocket is not a means of giving glory to god. Wearing designer threads manufactured by children in sweatshops does not make one a good person, nor is it in line with the teachings of the New Testament.

Religion is simply a means of mind control, enabling to elite to maintain power over the masses. Spirituality is something else entirely.

Bleep
09-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Most of the values espoused by xtian sects are good. The problems with organized religions are multitude. And they come from the multitudes who pretend to believe in the values but do not live them. George dubya is a good example.

There is no reason in my mind why ANY religious organization should get a tax break any greater than any other corporation on their business work. Such special exceptions on the grounds of belief are prejudicial-just because I don't belong to a recognized religion, my chosen social organizations do not get any tax breaks. Of course, I do agree with any non-profit organization doing charity work, should get a break on the charity part of their work. But most churches get huge exemptions and are able to acquire large amounts of property, and money. Why do they need to have holding properties or huge savings accounts? Man, if I didn't have to pay more than 60% of my income in various taxes, I'd have that sort of stuff too.

There are people who walk the walk. I try. and I'm not a xtian.

Blackeyedpeas
09-20-2005, 07:44 AM
I am going to toss my 2Ę in here and offer up my opinion. Now this is just an opinion and it may or may not coincide with another human beings opinion on this planet and this lifetime. And I am not saying that I am or am not a Christian.

To start with a definition of 'RELIGION" as shown in the dictionary I looked it up in.

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

A person's RELIGION serves as a base for their life. A personal anchor that keeps them grounded and with purpose.

A "True Christian" is one that actually believes what the Holy Bible says, and will live his or her life according to the teachings in the Bible to the best of their ability. A "True Christian" will also realize that all men (and women) are born as sinners. However, that does not mean that they cannot "be saved". To be truly saved, a "True Christian" must accept Jesus and their personal Lord and Savior not just within their head, and in words, but in their heart and in their deeds and actions. And not just on certain day of the week, week or the year or time of the day. They do this ALL the time. Or maybe I should say they try with all that is in them to follow the teachings of the Lord. Someone is not a Christian simply because they go to church on Sunday morning, Sunday evening and every Wednesday, no more than going to MacDonald's often makes you a Big Mac.
A "True Christian" does not necessarily call themselves a "True Christian" and probably because they don't really feel worthy of the title. A lot folks (not everyone mind you) label themselves with titles, and names that are merely attempts to try to persuade other folks into thinking they are something or somebody other what or whom they actually are. Pardon the pun, but that is their cross to bear.

Now, I must prepare to go to work. Got to eat you see. :o

Peazer

Bard
09-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Any set, or bar of moral standards, that folks attempt to yield or adhere to, can only enhance humanity in my opinion.

Sadly, few adhere to the teachings (they claim) to espouse to.

I agree with CC as well, that spirituality does differ from religion, it was never designed to be so, but nevertheless is.

Few adhere to simplicity, wisdom, and soundness of "The Golden Rule" which most all major religions embrace as their own.

Showing and displaying clearly, that few attempt to walk the walk, no matter what religious umbrella they fall under.

Blackeyedpeas
09-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Eggsactly !!!! :amen And what is sadder is that many do not even attempt to follow whatever set of standards that they preach for others. I would love to see every single solitary person walk through those gates !! I only pray that I am found to be worthy of that privelege myself. And I pray every moment that He shall show me the way. No matter what I do, I pray for His quidance. I can't do this living thing all alone, I need His help.
Peazer

Peregrina
09-20-2005, 10:04 PM
more power to you, blackeyedpeas, for a sincere belief, but I don't really like people preaching at me. I'm not saying you are ,but there are lots that do.

I was just looking at the title of this thread and there is something that strikes me as odd.

If something is wrong, isnt' it by association, bad? I mean, it's wrong and bad to cut someone off in the supermarket check out line, it's wrong and bad to run red lights, steal and lie. Is it even possible for something to be both bad and wrong, but still be right? :) okay, I'll shut up now, sorry.