PDA

View Full Version : How many chairs do you own?

sear
09-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Does the number of chairs you own, and or the quality of the chairs you own reveal something about you?

Bard
09-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Thoreau, thought one should own no more, than what they could carry with ease upon their backs.

I believe in Walden, he boasted of having one, serve him fine.

Peregrina
09-20-2005, 12:36 AM
if I got rid of all my chairs, my cats would have no place to lounge. :) they use the things more than I do.

Rabbit392
09-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Where would my guests sit when enjoying a fine meal I've prepared (and paid for)? My friends would say that my chairs are essential to life itself!

Let me count ... a bench doesn't count, right? 10 inside
10 outside (8 at a table, 2 near the jacuzzi).

BunnyBun
09-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Why would the number of chairs you have say anything about you?

I only have 4 chairs indoors, 3 outdoors, 2 on the porch, and a couch. What does this mean? To me it means I have a small house.

Bleep
09-20-2005, 07:19 AM
hahahaha
I have at least 25 chairs. of course, most of them are the $5 Walmart lawn chairs that stay stacked in the shed until a special occassion. Otherwise, I still have the two Ikea swivel chairs I bought as a starving student 28 years ago. And the pink swivel rocker my mom bought in 1972. The $1 garage sale pink and purple painted kitchen chairs circa 1930. Or the huge aging green recliner that DH falls asleep in. Several office charis and drum thrones and piano stools too. My newest chair is a brown microfibre recliner that is too small for DH and just right for me. It sits beside the tiger print chaise lounge in our TV room. The tiger print chaise was a birthday gift a few years back, but I love it.

What do my chairs say?

"Sit down, have a coffee, relax and enjoy for a while"

OldHubcap
09-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Besides the chairs Bunny mentioned, we also have some folding chairs that are used for fishing, camping and hunting.

:)

BunnyBun
09-20-2005, 08:45 AM
But What Does This Mean????

OldHubcap
09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
The folding chairs mean that we don't like to get our bottoms wet and muddy or cold when we are outside.

:happy

Bard
09-20-2005, 12:07 PM
:lolup

Tarl Of Gor
09-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Well, the ole lady won't let me have a Laz-Y-Boy recliner in the living room so that should tell you a whole bunch about her AND me.

BunnyBun
09-20-2005, 01:12 PM
So then what do all our chairs mean?

Hunting and folding chairs: Likey outdoors. No likey wet ass.

Living room recliner: Mink brown color. I dunno, I never sit in it, it's always got at least 3 cats on it. But it seemed obligatory and polite to have more than one seat in the living room in case anyone visits. Which they don't!

Couch: used, blue corduroy, pull-out sofa bed, yah baby, my favorite place to sit/lie! Must mean I'm a lazy ass cheap piece-o-shit.

Porch chairs: from Pier One. Blue denim. All faded from the sun on the porch. Always have cats on them. Covered with cat hair until I periodically brush it off so I can sit out there and read. That must mean I'm lazy too.

2 kitchen chairs: free from Hub's sister. Can't fit anymore than 2 at the table where it's located

Chair at the computer: yard sale. That means I'm cheap and lazy too!

Now the whole world knows how cheap and lazy I am!!!!

sear
09-20-2005, 01:59 PM
"Thoreau, thought one should own no more, than what they could carry with ease upon their backs." Bard
You're way ahead of me dude.
This is the quote that inspired my opening this topic.
"I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society." Henry David Thoreau (1817-62)
"But What Does This Mean????" Bunny
It suggests not everyone lives their life as Thoreau might have inspired us to.

Bunny,
Some persons like classical music. Others may prefer folk music, or hip-hop, or whatever.
It's merely insight into how others live. It's a lifestyle glimpse.

No point in trying to over analyze it, ie Fred has 3 more chairs than I do, so therefore the end of the world will happen next Monday between noon and 1:PM/ET.

The world doesn't work like that.

Yorkshire Lass
09-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Well, let's see.

Utility room: one old hard wooden dining chair, with stuff dumped on it.
Dining room: six dining chairs, just enough for when we invite folks for dinner.
Lounge: one comfy chair, one sofa, one less-comfy chair, and one big high back dining chair - a variety for when we have guests, and for the cats to slob on.
Bedroom: one comfy chair for throwing clothes on.
Study: one wheely chair at the desk - acquired from surplus stock at work.

Too many? I don't think so - we have a lot of visitors and I hate sitting on the floor.

Chris

StrayStar
09-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Do bar stools count as chairs?

Bard
09-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Do bar stools count as chairs?

The Bard would naturally assume so yes, yet it's not my call. We shall see what sear says, if so, I'm betting you win the most chairs prize!

Stray,

Cool to see you here man, you have been one of oldest supporters of the Bards.

Thanks from both of us.

Looking for river pictures thread soon man, with the deck shoes and liquoir bottle included as well.

Bleep
09-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Apparently Thoreau was an antisocial old cuss and had no groupies to speak of! 3 chairs indeed. :rofl

16 plastic lawn chairs in the shed means "You want to be invited to the next PARTAY"

2 drum thrones, two piano stools means "Musicians live here"

And poor TARL of Gor!-NRA- no recliners allowed! I know, they are ugly. My decorating taste runs to passionate-comfort-eclectic. Two recliners and a tiger print chaise. :shrug The cats like it! :thankyou

Peregrina
09-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I have several pillows I use as cushions when I sit on the floor. Does that count?

Rabbit392
09-21-2005, 12:53 AM
What does it mean?

No comments about dogs sitting or laying on chairs. Hmmm.

Cats rule.

bagbalm
09-21-2005, 06:04 AM
Four around the table - one at each desk, one at my work bench.
Almost forgot - a recliner in the unused bedroom.
The rest of the seats in the house are sofas or love seats.

StrayStar
09-21-2005, 09:01 AM
4 in the dining room, 3 in the living room, 2 in my office, 4 plus a stack in the corner on the deck, and if you're counting bar stools... 13 in the basement.

Oh, and six in the driveway, don't ask.

Bard
09-21-2005, 07:13 PM
:cool