PDA

View Full Version : Bardonia treasure chest

Bleep
09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
so, since I can't reply on the war chest thread, here it is.

How does this work? ON my old EZboard (I was a founding member and left when population exceeded 1000 and people started getting mean) we each contributed $5 or 10 to buy their premium status which stopped all the pop-ups and gave us a few more features. The cost of the premium service rose as the number of members rose. We also had a visible list where you could view all the contributors who chose to idenitify themselves.
is this how it works? or is bardonia planning to equip its own army? :thud

PS thanks for getting more smilies :rahrah

IndianPrincessSIP
09-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi Lori~

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with Hyperboard. :ohwell
This board is very different from EZ or Hyper. The initial setup fee for this board entailed purchasing a license for the software from Jelsoft which is the company that wrote the program that is VBulletin. Besides that fee, we had to find and purchase a web host server, to store the program and 'display' it on the web, which means that we are now responsible for not only our domain name but also the bandwidth we use.

At EZboard you pay for bandwidth, as your membership grows, you use more bandwidth and they charge based on the average you are currently using.

At Hyperboard they charged based off of pageturns, meaning it would have been free IF we would have opted to view on every page the Ad space that they had sold to who knows who. We refused to subjegate our familia to popup/popunder ads and the like, some of those things actually Flashed, and were so distracting. It really did get expensive enough there that we thought it was time to find our home, to purchase rather than to 'rent'.

There are many 'Super' Boards (mostly all powered by VBulletin) on the net that collect funds in many various ways. They charge for a 'subscription', they charge to use an avatar, a sigline, for the ability to get into certain forums, for the ability to PM, for the ability to view profiles. The largest that I've been to with almost 36,000 members also makes you go into an initiation forum until you are 'Approved' to post on their board.

This board comes with a 'subscription' feature and all of the above ways to set up charging members. We have opted not to for the time being, and simply have made available a way to help. Those that help, know it, and we know it, and we appreciate them understanding what it entails to maintain the environment of the absolute 'best' message board system available.

:flowers

Bleep
09-20-2005, 05:25 PM
"ty"-
(I learned that here too).
-for an educational and gracious explanation.
I have no idea what it costs to do/own all you describe, but it sounds like a lot.

I guess now I will have to spend some time figuring out this 'Paypal' thing? I tried once a few years ago, but my attempts to use it were futile. I am sure it was also my problem with the hyperboard- I must've done something wrong and never got a confirmatory email after trying to register twice. I can type not so badly, but my knowledge of computers and programming end there. I have only ever visited a few sites regularly and could not do ebay because I couldn't get Paypal to work for me. EBay is still a very good resource for me in terms of comparison pricing and checking availability of certain things I -one of the sites I go to monthly.

The Coliseum is an experience worth paying for .

:where's my hands clapping smiley?:

IndianPrincessSIP
09-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I guess now I will have to spend some time figuring out this 'Paypal' thing?

Lori~

You should not have any troubles. I should have clarified earlier that You Do Not have to have a Paypal account. There is a toggle that says 'If you do not have a Paypal account click here". And you can use a credit card or a debit card. Paypal takes care of the rest.

The Coliseum is an experience worth paying for .

Agreed.
And thank you for saying so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BohenGallery/TheBardsColiseumIconShow/clap.gif <--------------I'll get this guy all set up.