PDA

View Full Version : It IS Texas NOW and I FEEL EXACTLY the SAME!

randy
09-20-2005, 10:22 AM
If these folks don't voluntarily leave, they should be forced to as the hurricane approaches. I personally know that Galveston has been hit by hurricanes repeatedly, Camilla was just about as severe as Katrina was. I DO NOT THINK that the federal government should bail these folks out either. It is INSANITY to live in an area that is REPEATEDLY hit by hurricanes or any other natural disaster and expect others to bear the financial responsibility when something horrible happens.

I am NOT a bigot or state chauvanistic. Galveston is NOT primarily African American. I feel EXACTLY the same as I did about Katrina's victims. I am SORRY for those folks, but everyone needs to take personal responsibility and that INCLUDES MY NATIVE CITIZENS IN TEXAS!!

Galveston Calls for Voluntary Evacuations
AP - 23 minutes ago
GALVESTON, Texas - Taking a cue from the suffering in New Orleans, officials called for a voluntary evacuation of this island city as Hurricane Rita threatened to slam into the Texas Coast this weekend. Officials also began steps to fly thousands of Hurricane Katrina refugees in Texas shelters to Arkansas. Rita, approaching the Florida Keys, was upgraded to a hurricane Tuesday morning, and sustained wind reached 85 mph by late morning. Gov. Rick Perry on Monday recalled all emergency personnel helping with recovery from Hurricane Katrina to prepare for Rita, including almost 1,200 Texas National Guard members

LuckyMe1st
09-20-2005, 10:39 AM
As I stated before, Randy, not every one is living in the Valley because it is close to the coast. My family didn't have the choice and many others don't either. You know working folks? The kind that work hard for a living and go where their employer sends them?

randy
09-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Lucky I do understand that. I came from very ordinary, honest, hard working people myself.

BUT, no job or anything else is worth losing your life over or everything that you work sooo hard ot accumulate during your life, over and over again, now is it?

I CHOOSE to live DIRECTLY in the center of the path of Tornado Alley. Where I live HAS been hit by tornados before and within the last 5 years. I assume responsibility for this choice and would not expect or accept tax payer assistance if I am devastated by a tornado. I assumed that risk for alot of personal reasons. It is my personal responsibility to bear, IMO

LuckyMe1st
09-20-2005, 10:55 AM
NOW we are on the same page. When the folks lost everything in Carla and in Beulah, they were able to take out low interest SBA type loans to replace furnishings, clothing, etc. that were needed. THOSE loans had to be repaid however, and they were, I might add.

PurpleButterfly
09-20-2005, 11:12 AM
They're all welcome to come on up here to Central Texas, where we are hoping to get some much needed rain from Rita. It's not my fault if our rain comes in this form, but I'll take what we can get. Trust me, $200/month water bills are NO fun.

Plenty of room here, motels/hotels have been going up like crazy. We have the H.O.T. Coliseum, The Convention Center, and Baylor's Ferrell Center. Not to mention the dozens upon dozens of HUGE churches that would take them in.

So if anyone knows someone that needs to get out, send 'em on up here to Wacko. :thumbsup

BunnyBun
09-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Not only should the government not bail them out, but the government shouldn't even get involved in any way! They shouldn't tell people to leave! They shouldn't build levees or dams! They shouldn't even talk to people who lost stuff in a storm, even just to console them! They should not get involved with disease control or riot/looting control! In fact there should be no government in Texas!

Come on Randy. I don't wish anything bad on you or yours, but if you got hammered by a hurricane wouldn't you want help?

browneyedK
09-20-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm in Central Texas too......we are still working with evacuees from Katrina..and now this one...

The hotels in my town are booked along with B & B's and RV Parks. We have been bombarded with evacuees wanting a place to stay. The news said this morning that even our community is in the path of this hurricane and we are in between Austin and Houston.

I may have a house full this weekend. My son and daughter in law live in Houston along with friends of ours. I have told them all to BE HERE...front and center.

We have an emergency management meeting tomorrow. We are on a major highway between Austin and Houston and are expecting alot of traffic.

I was in touch with others chambers in our area today and all of their hotels are booked as well.

I'm ready for this weather to calm.

PurpleButterfly
09-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Brown, I haven't heard our town being "over-run" to that extent with evacuees. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

browneyedK
09-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Where are you? We have been overrun with calls wanting motel rooms.
I'm in a small rural area. We have 5 motels and 4 or 5 B&B's. ALL are booked. We are having to turn away ppl.

And this morning on the news...it says' that our county is right in the path of the storm. Things could change....but we are getting prepared.

PurpleButterfly
09-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Told ya above I'm in Wacko.

browneyedK
09-20-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't see it.

I had some calls today that told me that they had called as far away as Waco.

Hopefully it won't get that far. Waco is about 100 miles from where I am.

PurpleButterfly
09-20-2005, 05:10 PM
The local weather tonight showed the projected eye going right over us. Of course, it'll only be tropical storm strength at that point. And "knock on wood", we haven't had any bad tornadoes in years. Guess we're at the kind of in between point.

***goes to find REAL wood to knock on***

Of course, EVERYONE in Rita's path is in my prayers.

randy
09-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Not only should the government not bail them out, but the government shouldn't even get involved in any way! They shouldn't tell people to leave! They shouldn't build levees or dams! They shouldn't even talk to people who lost stuff in a storm, even just to console them! They should not get involved with disease control or riot/looting control! In fact there should be no government in Texas!

Come on Randy. I don't wish anything bad on you or yours, but if you got hammered by a hurricane wouldn't you want help?

Bunny, of course there should be Police presence and protection to prevent rioting and looting, that is a legitimate function of government. I do think that government building levees and dams is also part of their duty to protect. Also I do think government has the right and obligation to evacuate when a clear and present danger is involved and certainly should be involved with disease control.

BUT, I do not think that tax payers should be FORCED through required payment of taxes to subsidize the FREE CHOICES that people make as far as where they live and CERTAINLY NOT TO DO SO ON A CONTINUING AND REPETETIVE BASIS, NO I do not and that applies every bit as much to my home state of Texas as it does to any other part of the United States, IMO.

Peregrina
09-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Agreed. When people choose to live in an area, they also choose the weather that goes along with it. That ranges from tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, wildfires, avalanches, drought.....the list goes on. I'm in West Texas, we are in the middle of a drought. I'm from an area that was prone to grass fires. I have a friend in the Panhandle who makes it a game to sit out on the front steps of her house and count the number of tornado 'fingers' that come out of the clouds. Another friend grew up in Colorado and likes to tell stories about school being canceled because the snow covered the doors. (This was when we were agog at our puny half inch of snow one winter. :) )

PurpleButterfly
09-21-2005, 08:11 AM
What a difference a day makes.

The newspaper today now states that all hotel and motel rooms have been reserved.

Wonder where my buddy that's coming into town Friday to work at the corrugated manufacturing plant is going to stay?

BunnyBun
09-21-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm just using your logic to make a point, Randy. Why should taxpayers pay for a levee to protect people who chose to live in a hurricane or flood area? Why should taxpayers pay police to prevent looting when those people chose to live in a hurricane area that could be devastated, looted during a disaster? You don't have to tell me that the government should do these things, because I do think that already. Hence my rhetorical statement about the government. I happen to think it is the obligation of government to assist citizens in recovering from a disaster, as well, even if they chose to live there.

Stay safe, everyone who is in the path.

TwiggyAZ
09-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Sorry, but I will never understand people living somewhere they are absolutely certain is going to be destroyed.

The SO and I were discussing this last night. I said it is like my nextdoor neighbor coming over and saying, Hey, listen, my house is going to be wipped out again this year and I was wondering when you might be able to start paying me to rebuild it. GTFO.

I am not bound enough to any piece of property on this earth that I can't go live where I might be relatively safe. I mean as safe as I can get myself by knowing the facts. No one is going to fight mother nature.

Holland did a fabulous job of protecting their land. The USA is the richest freaking country in the universe. No one can tell me that if Holland can raise billions of dollars to do the CORRECT engineering to protect themselves, that we can't :banghead

Yes, people can live where they want even if they know they may DIE because they live there and they don't want to live anywhere else on the planet. But I'm sorry, I do not want to pay for your house year after year after year...call me selfish, but that is MHO!!

PS - forgive is this is posted twice, having problems with "invalid bla bla bla"

StandinOnAChair
09-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Twiggy you said that you do not understand people living somewhere that can be destroyed. Does that mean we evacuate all of California (hurricanes and quakes), Florida, Texas coastline, how about Kansas and Oklahoma for the tornados? Do we leave the East Coast empty too? :confused:
Do you know how many towns/cities/states would be totally empty if we adhered to that philosophy?

TwiggyAZ
09-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Twiggy you said that you do not understand people living somewhere that can be destroyed. Does that mean we evacuate all of California (hurricanes and quakes), Florida, Texas coastline, how about Kansas and Oklahoma for the tornados? Do we leave the East Coast empty too?

No, not at all, it simply means that I don't understand it. There probably isn't a place on this earth that mother nature can't destroy. I just think that there are SAFER places than other.

I don't think anyone should evacuate, and I also don't think they should ask me to pay to keep building their house for them over and over and over.

StandinOnAChair
09-21-2005, 11:44 AM
OK hypothetical question here: if everyone lived in a "safe" haven what would happen to the areas I listed? I mean Hawaii would be a huge piece of empty land. I understand what you are saying about not asking for hand-outs on rebuilding but.....that's been going on for a very long time. Does it make it right? Probably not. But I guess I don't see the reasoning of don't inhabit those areas.

TwiggyAZ
09-21-2005, 12:03 PM
I didn't say don't inhabit those areas, only that I didn't understand WHY people, KNOWING they will be impacted, do inhabit them.

I can tell you if my boss told me I was being transfered to NO, I would not go. Nor would I to other places, Kansas, the panhandle..sorry, not happening. I've been through 2 typhoons(as a child, was not my choice), and I really would rather get where I feel safe.

Hypothetically, maybe we should just leave some land alone. Technology today can almost pinpoint what weather is going to impact what land, for YEARS!!

And as I said, I don't care if people inhabit it, that's their business. My business is keeping my money spent where I want it spent!! Oh wait, the government already took care of that for me!! Nevermind :D

StandinOnAChair
09-21-2005, 12:31 PM
LOL Twiggy. Guess they did take care of it for you.

Why do people inhabit those areas? Work most likely I would say. Most people probably do not have the luxory of telling their bosses no they won't move. :happy