PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Toy When a Child Was???

Bard
09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
My stilts :rahrah

How about you?

browneyedK
09-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Ya know, it's so funny when I think about that question. I honestly can't remember. My brothers had stilts too. I grew up in a neighborhood that was ALL kids our age. I remember playing hide and seek and red rover and riding bikes and skating and all that. BUT..I can't honestly remember if I had a favorite toy. :ohwell

rossshow
09-20-2005, 03:00 PM
My machete.

Bard
09-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Liar.

rossshow
09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
:lolup

Tarl Of Gor
09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
when a child was what?

rossshow
09-20-2005, 03:13 PM
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&rls=SNYC%2CSNYC%3A2004-13%2CSNYC%3Aen&q=erector+set

Robot toys, Erector Sets. That kind of stuff.

Tarl Of Gor
09-20-2005, 03:17 PM
My baseball glove.

Lyn Is Snide
09-20-2005, 03:41 PM
I don't really remember a favorite. My father used to give me a bride doll every christmas, which I have fond memories of though. :rahrah

Blackeyedpeas
09-20-2005, 03:44 PM
My dad got me a teddy bear when I was 6 months old. I still have her. She no longer has a nose or much fur, but I have it in my will that she is to be buried with me. Her name is Bessie

Peazer

Jannilu
09-20-2005, 04:13 PM
My 'four-square' ball
chalk for 'hop-skotch'

and..............http://bestsmileys.com/cartoon/5.gif

Bard
09-20-2005, 08:12 PM
The Bard also had one of these sets, I still have half of the set :thumbsup

I spent many hours and years with these guys, I still had the box up untill a few years ago, it did differ from this one some.

http://www.plumcreekmarketing.com/01toys/01images/fullsize/132005.jpg

Did Jan say hop-scotch? :rofl

Peregrina
09-20-2005, 10:21 PM
My brothers and I were the only kids for miles around. In grade school, when they asked me, who's your best friend? I quite honestly said, my brothers. Our toys were generally whatever we could get at the dollar store and stuff we snuck out of the house, like bowls and spoons and old shoes. :) we plowed under the garden recently - when we were kids it was our sandbox, and we found about half my mom's spoons, a couple unidentifiable action figures and a ball cap. who knows why we were playing with that.

basca
09-20-2005, 10:31 PM
I spent most of my days outside, in the woods and at the place pictured below. Guess what it is. We didn't have a lot of toys, I did get a magical musical thing, that I liked. That's about the only toy I remember.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/basca/Whatever/miscpicsspring20051748.jpg

Bard
09-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Basca

I spent most of my days outside, in the woods and at the place pictured below.

Uh basca, that is a cemetary. :ohwell

Peregrina
09-20-2005, 10:46 PM
oh, nice place, basca. there's a pre-civil war cemetary near the farm taht we played at when we were kids and down in the field there are several creepy places that we would go to and tell ghost stories and scare each other silly. :)

basca
09-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah it is, may explain a lot huh? :file There was a big open area there way in the back that ran up to the woods. We would sit around and tell all kinds of stories by that thing, still can't figure out what it is. Great place to get the shit scared out of you. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/basca/Whatever/str.gif

Anyway, I went through there this past Sunday and it brought back a lot of good memories as strange as that may be. :shrug

basca
09-20-2005, 10:50 PM
See, I'm not the only one. :hmph

IndianPrincessSIP
09-20-2005, 10:58 PM
I liked jacks, and pick up sticks, four square, and tetherball. No One beat me at tetherball. :happy
My favorite doll was a Thumblina (she wiggled like a real baby~windup) Very cute, but kind of creepy. I still loved her. :clap

BunnyBun
09-21-2005, 05:21 AM
Janni, I kicked ass at 4-square!! Used to play at 4H camp all the time, and no one could beat me.

My sister and I had barbie dolls, which I'm sure a lot of kids did, but the fun part was that we'd never play straight Barbie like other girls did. We were creepy--our barbies were all witches, or warlocks, some were evil some were good, the evil ones would kidnap smaller dolls and take them to the island (the area rug in the dining room), other witches would have to rescue them. The bad witches all had mohawks and tattoos and ratty clothes, the good witches got to wear the nice clothes. And Witchie-Poo, the head witch, her head came off easily, so she got beheaded a lot as a consequence for her wrong-doing.

Yah, I know, I'm weird. They let me be in law enforcement anyway. Maybe they were impressed with my strong sense of good and evil, and justice.

:thumbsup

whiteclouder
09-21-2005, 07:44 AM
My Gilbert chemistry set.

Cloud..

Snuffy
09-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Any kind of ball, baseball, rubber ball, basketball, football, superball etc. and my baseball equipment. I could stand in the driveway with my baseball bat and knock stones into the field for hours at a time, until my dad would catch me and chew my ass for putting a bazillion dents in every new bat he bought for me.

OldHubcap
09-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Model planes and cars.

StandinOnAChair
09-21-2005, 11:08 AM
We played outside alot. 40 acres of wonderful trees to run through, places to ride our bikes, build forts, shoot hoops. In the wintertime we would build elaborate snow forts you could crawl through and hide your snowballs and bombard visitors with. :D Green army men were a big hit.
If we had to play inside it was alot of board games, jacks, pick-up-sticks.
I loved Thumbelina and Chatty Cathy. My brother used them in some sort of war games along with all the barbies and Kens. :banghead But mostly it was outdoor games tag, red rover, hop scotch, pogo sticks, bikes, any kind of sport and a vivid imagination.

Bard
09-21-2005, 07:16 PM
The Bard also had a pogo stick that was way cool. :rahrah

Till it died. :ohwell

They do that you know?

Just one day quit jumping.

:sad

lake brat
09-21-2005, 08:06 PM
TinkerToys were one of my favorites and puzzles. I wanted an erector set sooo bad but never got one. Grew up as an only child (have 2 sisters but they are way older) and lived on a farm with NO close neighbor kids. My Gram gave a doll every Christmas but hardly ever played with them.

lake brat

mrgoodwrench1951
09-21-2005, 08:13 PM
My lincoln logs and my erector set were my favorites.

pplantlady
09-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Chico my Brother :rofl
He was a stuffed monkey with a plastic face, feet and hands (one holding a banana)
He WAS my brother until a few years later when I actually got a real brother.
I dragged that monkey everywhere!
Mom tossed him after he was no longer repairable but I did find another one in an antique store that I just had to have.
He's sitting right here right with me.
My next favorite was my Barbies.... :thud
Plant

RenegadePoster
09-21-2005, 09:07 PM
IP, I loved tetherball! I, too, was the one to beat.

When I was little, my tinkertoys and plastic dinosaurs were my favorite indoor toys, lol. Like Basca and Standin, I spent a great deal of my youth outdoors, in semi-wilderness. I was an avid explorer and tree-climber.

I think most of the wild areas of my youth were developed long ago, likely miles themselves from any wilderness.

gabby
09-21-2005, 10:05 PM
My favorite toys were my metal roller skates and my little record player. The record player had 2 speeds, 33 and 45 rpm. I had to manually place the needle on the record, adn the speaker was built in to the box. I had that record player for years. Got it when I was about 7 years old. Wish I still had it.

My roller skates were like my shoes. I got my first pair of skates when I was about 3 or 4 years old, and from then on I lived on roller skates. I took care of them because I LOVED roller skating more than anything in the world. In fact I skated better than I walked. (The good memories) Sure did tear up my shoes though.

Tarl Of Gor
09-22-2005, 09:23 AM
I had alot of fun with my GI Joes. My BIL was over in Nam and he sent me the parachute from a flare that was used by the Army. I would tie my GI Joe to the chute, climb up on the roof of our 3 story house and throw him off the roof. My dad just about shit the first time he saw me do it and beat my ass for climbing up on the roof. My mom still laughs about it.

Bard
09-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Bozo the clown punching bag. :happy

The first skateboards ever, designed by tearing our skates up and putting them on a two by four,

Yes, we made history in the fifties. :rahrah

StandinOnAChair
09-23-2005, 07:57 AM
C'mon Bard did you really punch poor ole Bozo the Clown? :mad:

That was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid. I always wanted to be on it and play the Grand Prize game!! I whined about it so long my brother built me my own damned Grand Prize game and even gave out prizes. :thumbsup

:rofl

jdansam
09-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Western Flyer 2-wheeler, Lincoln logs, erector set and a 30" piece of wood that transformed into a handheld machine gun or a bazooka depending on what the bad guys were up to at the moment. You could always find one in the park whenever you needed one.