PDA

View Full Version : Martha Stewart

Genie
09-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Now I admit that I'm not a fan of hers, but I have to say I do admire her for taking her punishment with dignity and grace. Having said that, they've been running commercials on the radio for her new talk show. In this commercial she tells about what she learned while she was away. Are you ready for this? Stop the presses, she learned how to microwave cook! Yowza! She can make a wonderful bread pudding and a lovely créme caramel. Now I ask you...is this not the most wonderful thing? :shrug

basca
09-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Now I ask you...is this not the most wonderful thing? :shrug

Sure, if you say so Genie. http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/patio05/smilies/21ff3dc4.gif

TwiggyAZ
09-21-2005, 09:51 AM
I love bread pudding! I will have to get that recipe!

Any woman that teaches me how to wear a prison ankle thingy well with slacks, dresses, and ankle jewelry is my kinda girl!! :thumbsup

I felt she was railroaded, made a scapegoat from the beginning. Well, it backfired on the "proprietors(sp) of her demise...ha ha ha on them!!

Can't wait for her primetime show tonight. I LOVE her sense of humor :clap

basca
09-21-2005, 10:10 AM
What is bread pudding exactly? Besides having bread in it....

Genie
09-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I have no idea, but I'd rather have chocolate or butterscotch pudding.

stinky*felix
09-21-2005, 10:16 AM
I felt she was railroaded, made a scapegoat from the beginning. Well, it backfired on the "proprietors(sp) of her demise...ha ha ha on them!!

Railroaded?
Scapegoat?

Why? Because she broke the law, was caught, tried, convicted and sentenced?

It seems to me that this should be the normal course of events, regardless of how "likeable" or famous the criminal is.

The fact that she is now being heralded as some sort of heroine, and rewarded with a television show just illustrates how the American people support bias in the law.

TwiggyAZ
09-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Bread pudding is today made with breads specially made for the pudding – it could be either fresh or stale bread (brioche, challah, croissant, panettone, French or even Italian) that is soaked in rich custard made of milk eggs, sugar, vanilla, and spices. A whole lot of other interesting things can be added - nuts, zests, candied or even fresh fruit. Bread puddings can be steamed or baked, and both make great tasting dishes. This versatile dessert can be served hot or cold and taste great accompanied by ice cream or softly whipped cream.

The recipe for the classic English Bread Pudding, in its new, low fat, easy to make incarnation, is given here:

Ingredients

12 slices whole-wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups fat-free milk
4 egg whites
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp margarine, melted
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
½ cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 2 quart casserole dish and set aside. Blend together the milk, egg whites, sugar, margarine, vanilla and cinnamon in large bowl. Add bread and raisins. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish. Bake 35 minutes or until well browned. Cool on wire rack. Garnish with chopped nuts, maybe pecan nuts or chopped almonds.

Stinky - She is appealing her conviction. Yes she was convicted, and maybe you think she broke the law. But I don't think she did. I think that there was this big witchunt for trader fraud at the time and she was in the net.

I think they wanted a big name to draw attention to the fact that they knew a lot of trader fraud was happening and it better stop and she was as good as any to pick. I don't know what she did, nor will I ever know the truth. Only she does, but I like her and I don't think she deserved what she got.

Lyn Is Snide
09-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Ummm....stinky? Are you aware of what she was convicted of? Imagine if they took the same route with the Enron slimeballs. How many lies do you think these people told during the investigation?

In this case the fact that she is rich and famous was the only reason she ended up doing jail time. She chose not to drag it out. She decided to get it over with. I was never a fan until this happened, but now I am.

Lyn

Lyn Is Snide
09-21-2005, 11:38 AM
She was never convicted of trader fraud, was she?

Lyn

basca
09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the recipe Twiggy it sounds pretty good. One to try.

As far as Martha goes, I agree with Twiggy and Lynn.

TwiggyAZ
09-21-2005, 11:57 AM
She was convicted of obstruction of justice, lying to investigators.

Lyn Is Snide
09-21-2005, 12:36 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming, Twig! :thumbsup

stinky*felix
09-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Bold added by me:
Stewart, 62, was charged with conspiracy, obstruction of justice and two counts of making false statements – charges that together carry a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.

The Prosecutor at the steps of the courthouse: "It is all about lies. It is important for us to protect the system from corruption that infects our society. She lied to FCC and to the FBI. She mocked our system. We do no not tolerate Corruption
And for this, she received 5 months at Camp Cupcake., and house arrest at her estate.

This woman is a role-model to thousands, perhaps even millions of other women. Now, do you think that we should all aspire to having these "accomplishments" on our resumes? :ohwell

OJ was found innocent in criminal court, as was Robert Blake. Do you suppose they will be given the same consideration?

Lyn Is Snide
09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
:confused:
Murder, with tons of evidence in both cases, but being found not guilty anyway. Being convicted of lying during an investigation of something that she was never convicted of. Yeah. I see your point. :wtf

Bard
09-21-2005, 05:00 PM
The Bard is a BIG fan of bread pudding, do try it basca, you will not regret it.

stinky*felix
09-21-2005, 05:06 PM
:confused:
Murder, with tons of evidence in both cases, but being found not guilty anyway. Being convicted of lying during an investigation of something that she was never convicted of. Yeah. I see your point. :wtfAll were tried under the same legal system.

So now you are also saying that trial-by-jury is flawed?

Do you have an alternative you would like to suggest?

Lyn Is Snide
09-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Umm....Stinky? I've suggested no such thing, and have not implied any opinion at all on the subjects you're trying to divert the conversation with.

Lyn

stinky*felix
09-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Umm....Stinky? I've suggested no such thing, and have not implied any opinion at all on the subjects you're trying to divert the conversation with. Lyn

You haven't?? I must have misread this remark then, I guess: :ohwell

Murder, with tons of evidence in both cases, but being found not guilty anyway.

TwiggyAZ
09-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Now, do you think that we should all aspire to having these "accomplishments" on our resumes?

Show me the money!!! Yea!!!

The comparisons are way way too different for me to even consider.

Edited to say I watched her show tonight and really enjoyed it. I would love to work for her.