PDA

View Full Version : Is it Walmart they hate?

UKBB
09-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Or is it just black people? (http://www.freep.com/news/locway/walmart21e_20050921.htm)

City officials voted early this morning to recommend the development of a Wal-Mart Supercenter in Livonia after more than 500 residents thronged to a city meeting Tuesday night, fueling an ongoing battle against the proposal, which has drawn some racially charged complaints.

A woman who refused to give her name was booed at one meeting by others who objected to her comments when she told of a shopping experience.

"You must think we are so stupid. I was at Wal-Mart. You know who shops there? I was the only white person," the woman said.

UKBB

stinky*felix
09-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I never shopped Walmart until after I read the Times-Picayune article. Now I am happy to spend my money there.

UKBB
09-21-2005, 05:45 PM
I never shopped Walmart until after I read the Times-Picayune article.

Link please.

UKBB

stinky*felix
09-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Hang on and I'll see if I can find it. It was their "Letter to the President."

Here's a link to the text: http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054586 (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054586)

clemiedog
09-21-2005, 06:24 PM
One has to wonder. I am sure there are various reasons for some; different reasons for others. My concern would be the traffic congestion. This is Livonia, a suburb of Detroit, a shithole no mass transit.

The abandoned mall is long gone, but the traffic is still bad. Most of the crime in Livonia, what little there is, usually happens a mile to the north of this area, along the I-96 expressway. It's proximity to Detroit is cited as the main reason, a valid one. The retail strip along the expressway, the current location of Wall-Mart, is bordered to the south by a large industrial belt and railroad tracks, a buffer between the strip and the neighborhood. The new Wal-Mart would be on 'their' side of that buffer.

Many residents of Livonia are just nutty. They protested vigorously over a grocery store a few years back, saying it would bring crime. I wonder where these asshole buy their groceries? Are grocery stores crime havens?

Fear of crime is out of control. Crime rates today, even for shitholes like Detroit, are at levels from the mid-sixties, far below the high periods of the mid-seventies to early eighties. Yet the fear of crime is hysterical.

Having said that, I can say that Wall-Mart sucks. I don't go there. Too much damn traffic. I might go there for some inexpensive pet medicine, but that's it.

Peregrina
09-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Stinky Felix, you never shopped at walmart before? You cannot believe how bizarre that sounds to me. :) when we were kids, we would say a town was 'civilized' if they had a wally world and a mickey d's. remember we were redneck farm kids on vacation. we thought four lane highways were amazing, lol.

but, despite the fact that I do most of my shopping at walmart, that is more because it is just about the only thing available. I'm not a big fan of the company, they dont' treat their employees well at all.