PDA

View Full Version : 62 Years ago

Bard
08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Hiroshima...................

Our mantle of shame....

Nagasaki, the proof we were /are...shameless.

UKBB
08-07-2007, 10:15 AM
And we all know what innocent victims the Japanese were.

The extent of the atrocities is debated between China and Japan, with numbers[1] ranging from some Japanese claims of several hundred,[2] to the Chinese claim of a non-combatant death toll of 300,000[3]. A number of Japanese researchers consider 100,000 200,000 to be an approximate value.[4] Other nations usually believe the death toll to be between 150,000 300,000.[5] This number was first promulgated in January of 1938 by Harold Timperly, a journalist in China during the Japanese invasion, based on reports from contemporary eyewitnesses. Other sources, including Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking, also promote 300,000 as the death toll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

UKBB

lordhumongous
08-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Hiroshima...................

Our mantle of shame....

Nagasaki, the proof we were /are...shameless.

Fuck 'em.They drew first blood.December 7th.1941."A day that will live in Infamy."

lordhumongous
08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
The only act that the U.S committed in WWII that I have a problem with is the internment of the Neisei(Japanese Americans).Unconscionable IMO.

Bard
08-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Fuck 'em.They drew first blood.December 7th.1941."A day that will live in Infamy."

See, I stated we were still shameless.

Due to the fact, some, still

Seek to justify, excuse, and endorse this act perpetrated upon citizens.

Don't be a moral stain this day LH.

Bard
08-07-2007, 11:33 AM

Military base, versus populated city of innocent citizens

Which part escapes you?

Don't be a twit.

lordhumongous
08-07-2007, 11:42 AM

Which part escapes you?

Don't be a twit.

An unprovoked act of aggression.That's what those fuckers perpertrated on us.Or did THAT little tidbit escape your keen senses Bard?? BTW,Hiroshima was a necessity to facilitate an early end to the war...

Bard
08-07-2007, 11:57 AM
An unprovoked act of aggression.That's what those fuckers perpertrated on us.Or did THAT little tidbit escape your keen senses Bard?? BTW,Hiroshima was a necessity to facilitate an early end to the war...

Unprovoked act of aggression?....Duh?

It was an act & declaration of war, an announcement.

Element of surprise and all that, strategy?

Our responce?

Oh me oh my.

if you truly buy that early end to war bandade and salve for your quilty conscience, good luck

forestfairy
08-07-2007, 01:26 PM
The only act that the U.S committed in WWII that I have a problem with is the internment of the Neisei(Japanese Americans).Unconscionable IMO.

:wtf That might be one of the sickest things I've ever heard.
You have a problem with placing Japanese Americans in internment camps but see no problem with dropping a nuclear bomb on millions of innocent people, not only killing them but fucking up their environment and many generations after them for so long we don't even know how far into the future the damage will go?

Descendents are STILL being born with deformities. There is no reason ever to use a nuclear bomb and there is no reason ever to indiscriminately murder innocent people.

http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2007/02/hiroshima-pictures-they-didnt-want-us_05.html

UKBB
08-07-2007, 01:41 PM

Which part escapes you?

Don't be a twit.

Innocent my ass, both cities were manufacturing centers of Japans military machine. You're making weapons, you're a target.

UKBB

UKBB
08-07-2007, 01:56 PM
It's easy to look back at the worst war this world has ever seen and say "We did that? Shame on us.". You guys seem to act as if Japan was all sweet and innocent. No one here has even commented about the Nanjing Massacre or Japans invasion of China. Had Japan not attacked us who knows if we would have entered the war or simply kept supplying Britain and the resistance in Europe and China. Japan attacked us and we answered which was more than China could do back then.

Summary of causes for the recent tensions between China and Japan
# No apologies from the emperor for WWII crimes.
# Prime Minister paying public homage every year to Japanese war criminals equivalent to Hitler or Goebbels. (see article)
# History textbooks playing down the atrocities committed by the Japanese in China.
# Famous politicians (eg. Shintaro Ishihara, governor of Tokyo) claiming that the Nanjing Massacre never happened, with tacit public support (and he got re-elected!).
# General sentiment of the Japanese population that they don't need to apologise for the WWII because China will presumably not accept their apologies.
# Chinese people still frequently killed by canisters of poisonous gas buried in China by the Japanese in WWII.
# Dispute over the ownership of the Senkaku islands, near Okinawa. (see article)
# Dispute over the exploitation of gas in the East China Sea. (see article)

http://www.jref.com/society/sino-japanese-relations.shtml

UKBB

Bard
08-07-2007, 02:16 PM
No one here has even commented about the Nanjing Massacre or Japans invasion of China.

You again attempt to cast an aspersion upon the honor of the people.

Cloud has (commented on the massacre), yet, your remark smacks of bias.

You suggest because of a government gun-manufacturer contract in Hiroshima

All citizens are fair game for the A-bomb :puke

It's like bombing L.A, cus of a gun manufacturer (ie businessman) with a government contract

And crying all the citizens are quilty

How DARE you suggest these thousands were not innocent!

forestfairy
08-07-2007, 02:22 PM
All citizens are fair game for the A-bomb :puke

It's like bombing L.A, cus of a gun manufacturer (ie businessman) with a government contract

And crying all the citizens are quilty

How DARE you suggest these thousands were not innocent!

:amen

Every country does terrible things during war, there is still no excuse for dropping a weapon of that magnitude.

UKBB
08-07-2007, 02:22 PM

So why don't you comment on it? Oh yeah poor sweet innocent Japan that did nothing to anyone and donated toiletry kits for homeless shelters and teddy bears for orphaned children. Nope they never hurt a fly, all sweet and peaceful. Bad bad war mongering US! Why I'll bet they bombed Pearl Harbor themselves just so they could nuke Japan the land of Butterflies, Hummingbirds and Pop Gun Factories.

UKBB

UKBB
08-07-2007, 02:28 PM
:amen

Every country does terrible things during war, there is still no excuse for dropping a weapon of that magnitude.

So how about the "Chinese people still frequently killed by canisters of poisonous gas buried in China by the Japanese in WWII." FF? Do you want to comment on that? Do you want to condemn Japan for that? Or do you just want to vilify the US? Did you follow that link and see the beheaded civilians the Japanese killed? How about the Korean women forced into sex slavery to please the Japanese soldiers?

UKBB

UKBB
08-07-2007, 02:31 PM

You claim I'm biased when all I'm doing is asking everyone to look at both sides of the coin. You're the one that's biased Bard. Fuck the US is all that you're about.

UKBB

forestfairy
08-07-2007, 02:34 PM
I did not say that they haven't done terrible things, as ALL people do during wars. There are sex slaves in this country right now to please American men so give me a break about that arguement.

This is worthless debate because no matter how many terrible things you list about what the Japanese have done, there is NO JUSTIFIABLE REASON TO DROP A NUCLEAR BOMB ON ANOTHER COUNTRY EVER. PERIOD.

clemiedog
08-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm sure you've heard of all the negative comments about wars from numerous generals. It sucks and total war is the worst kind of warfare. The world had been moving in that direction ever since the start of WWI, when the Germans dropped bombs on the civilian populations of Belgium back in August 1914.

A few months before Hiroshima the 29th Marines landed on Okinawa, 3512 in all. Over the next 82 days, 2821 fell, just over 80% of the force. Imagine the death toll an invasion of the Japanese mainland would consume? Truman did. That's why the bomb was dropped. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were selected for the main reason the Ruhr region of Germany was selected. They manufactured munitions.

Yes, total war sucks. It brings about our collective worst. But total defeat is worse.

lordhumongous
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=Bard]

QUOTE]

That's kind of an asinine analogy.We're not talking about a little gun shop with a government contract.These were the production facilities for massive amounts of munitions.And yes,in the case of your L.A analogy,I would love to see if there would be any takers,ready to bomb Los Angeles.HARDLY!!

lordhumongous
08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
You claim I'm biased when all I'm doing is asking everyone to look at both sides of the coin. You're the one that's biased Bard. ---- the US is all that you're about.

UKBB

Forget it UKBB.This is obviously an exercise in futility.You presented a case based on concrete facts and all we have for a rebuttal is:The U.S is comprised of a bunch of war-mongering assholes!! :wtf As General Isoruku Yamamoto said after Pearl Harbor was bombed:"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." You got that right.Even though Yamamoto planned the attack,he knew they were going to pay a terrible price and indeed they did.

Pepper Crush
08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I was born. :biglaugh

clemiedog
08-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Even though Yamamoto planned the attack,he knew they were going to pay a terrible price and indeed they did.

Correct. Through and through Yamamoto was sailor and he carried out his orders to the best of his ability, even if those orders led to folly. He was educated at Harvard and the Naval War College, incidentially. We took him out, on FDR's specific orders.

lordhumongous
08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Unprovoked act of aggression?....Duh?

It was an act & declaration of war, an announcement.

Element of surprise and all that, strategy?

Why is it that when it comes to the "other side",you are so passive,forgiving and understanding,yet "we" are the unyielding brutes? An "announcement" you say? Are you for fucking real? A sneaky,chicken-shit attack on sailors who lost their lives to someone who they didn't even know was an enemy and you say this was Japan's way of making an announcement!!??? Man you are out of your goddamn mind!!!

lordhumongous
08-08-2007, 12:22 AM
:wtf That might be one of the sickest things I've ever heard.
You have a problem with placing Japanese Americans in internment camps but see no problem with dropping a nuclear bomb on millions of innocent people, not only killing them but fucking up their environment and many generations after them for so long we don't even know how far into the future the damage will go?

Descendents are STILL being born with deformities. There is no reason ever to use a nuclear bomb and there is no reason ever to indiscriminately murder innocent people.

http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2007/02/hiroshima-pictures-they-didnt-want-us_05.html

Sick to you perhaps FF,but not to me.The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were a necessary evil.I in no way revel in the fact that a lot of people suffered and died as a result of the atomic bomb.I'm merely stating the obvious:This was a justifiable means to an end.Who knows how many countless millions of lives were SAVED as a result of the speedy closure to this terrible war?

Noguru
08-08-2007, 05:38 AM
I am completely stunned at the nature of this thread.

How many here had a parent who fought in WWII?

The Japanese got what was coming to them. There can be no peace without absolute defeat. That is the nature of war. They were the most brutal warriors ever to pick up arms. They make today's "terrorists" look like choir boys.

I have no sympathy.

Thousands of innocents die in war. It is awful, unfair, disgusting, the worst. That is why it is called hell. But I'll be damned if I'll ever sit here and second guess the greatest generation ever to lace up a pair of combat boots. We'd all be speaking Japanese or German if those boys didn't put it all on the line when we needed them to. The bomb was needed when the bomb was used, and you can be thankful everyday that somebody had the guts to do what needed to be done.

MY opinion.

bagbalm
08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Death comes one to a customer - it doesn't matter to each if they were alone or part of a job lot.

The nice thing about nuclear weapons is it makes war something that can come home and get close and personal with the politicians. It can remove them and their entire basis of power. That has a restraining effect that shipping some poor clod of to a distant land to have his butt shot off doesn't.

Bard
08-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Sick to you perhaps FF,but not to me.The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were a necessary evil.I in no way revel in the fact that a lot of people suffered and died as a result of the atomic bomb.I'm merely stating the obvious:This was a justifiable means to an end.Who knows how many countless millions of lives were SAVED as a result of the speedy closure to this terrible war?

Guru

Yep.

Bard
08-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Why is it that when it comes to the "other side",you are so passive,forgiving and understanding,yet "we" are the unyielding brutes? An "announcement" you say? Are you for fucking real? A sneaky,chicken-shit attack on sailors who lost their lives to someone who they didn't even know was an enemy and you say this was Japan's way of making an announcement!!??? Man you are out of your goddamn mind!!!

Hey El Whoppo

Word up

Ambush tactics have always been a part of military strategy.

Military leaders seldom send out written announcements

UKBB
08-08-2007, 08:42 AM

The first target was Hiroshima, a city on Japan's Inland Sea. At this time it was the headquarters of the 2nd General Army. On 4 August 1945, American aircraft dropped leaflets on Hiroshima warning the citizens to expect terrible destruction to be visited upon their city because Japan had refused to surrender. Although many civilians had already been evacuated to the country, this warning was largely ignored.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pacificwar/AtomBomb_Japan.html

UKBB

Bard
08-08-2007, 08:52 AM
What type of man, still, refuses to look at the bloodstain

That Hiroshima & Nagasaki places upon us as a people?

And how it STAINS and cuts away at our collective moral underpinning

And then, (not sated SEEMINGLY by bood of diet) we DID IT AGAIN in Nagasaki?

What the fuck kind of people do that?

Bard
08-08-2007, 08:59 AM
And the world looks on in loathing contempt of the U.S.

As they see after 62 years

we still, cannot see the haughty-high-horse

Cold indifferant sins of our past

As we still, years later attempt in feeble fashion and form

To justify the UNJUSTIFIABLE

It makes me ashamed for us as a nation.

Bard
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
It's easy to look back at the worst war this world has ever seen and say "We did that? Shame on us.". You guys seem to act as if Japan was all sweet and innocent. No one here has even commented about the Nanjing Massacre or Japans invasion of China. Had Japan not attacked us who knows if we would have entered the war or simply kept supplying Britain and the resistance in Europe and China. Japan attacked us and we answered which was more than China could do back then.

Summary of causes for the recent tensions between China and Japan
# No apologies from the emperor for WWII crimes.
# Prime Minister paying public homage every year to Japanese war criminals equivalent to Hitler or Goebbels. (see article)
# History textbooks playing down the atrocities committed by the Japanese in China.
# Famous politicians (eg. Shintaro Ishihara, governor of Tokyo) claiming that the Nanjing Massacre never happened, with tacit public support (and he got re-elected!).
# General sentiment of the Japanese population that they don't need to apologise for the WWII because China will presumably not accept their apologies.
# Chinese people still frequently killed by canisters of poisonous gas buried in China by the Japanese in WWII.
# Dispute over the ownership of the Senkaku islands, near Okinawa. (see article)
# Dispute over the exploitation of gas in the East China Sea. (see article)

http://www.jref.com/society/sino-japanese-relations.shtml

UKBB

As you attempt to undermine the honor of the Japanese folk, due to past encounters cited

So shall we, be remembered in history, as...

'The barbarians' who ACTUALLY had so little regard for ANY

that we dropped a couple of atom bombs on women and children.

Then in blood-drenched shame, defended it to date.

lordhumongous
08-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Hey El Whoppo

Word up

Ambush tactics have always been a part of military strategy.

Well,my feeble-minded friend,you obviously don't know shit about warfare,do you?After serving the opposing side with an ultimatum,then and only then do you declare war when they don't comply with your demands.Not waiting for the attack to commence(like the Japanese ambassador to the U.S did)and then issuing a declaration of war.You want to talk about honor?Where was the honor in a chicken-shit move like that? So your ass can bleed for the Japanese all it wants.I don't think many on this board share your sympathetic views.If they do,then let 'em speak up!

lordhumongous
08-08-2007, 07:03 PM
And the world looks on in loathing contempt of the U.S.

It makes me ashamed for us as a nation.

No Bard.Not the world.Just YOU!! You should be on bended knee right now begging for forgiveness for making such an unwarranted and repulsive remark.The blood shed by our brave G.I.s in WWII and others that came before and after them is the only goddamn reason why YOU are afforded the luxury of being able to sit on your ASS and post on this board.Maybe if you were sitting in a gulag in Siberia or a camp similar to Aushwitz or Dachau,would you realize how friggin' lucky you are to be an American.Don't you EVER forget that pal!!!

lordhumongous
08-08-2007, 07:07 PM

How many here had a parent who fought in WWII?

The Japanese got what was coming to them. There can be no peace without absolute defeat. That is the nature of war. They were the most brutal warriors ever to pick up arms. They make today's "terrorists" look like choir boys.

I have no sympathy.

Thousands of innocents die in war. It is awful, unfair, disgusting, the worst. That is why it is called hell. But I'll be damned if I'll ever sit here and second guess the greatest generation ever to lace up a pair of combat boots. We'd all be speaking Japanese or German if those boys didn't put it all on the line when we needed them to. The bomb was needed when the bomb was used, and you can be thankful everyday that somebody had the guts to do what needed to be done.

MY opinion.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

lordhumongous
08-09-2007, 12:46 AM
As you attempt to undermine the honor of the Japanese folk.

No sir.'Tis you who has undermined and besmirched the honor of the noble guardians of our freedom...

UKBB
08-09-2007, 06:42 AM
As you attempt to undermine the honor of the Japanese folk, due to past encounters cited

I have provided facts bard, it is you that turns the blind eye.

UKBB

Bard
08-09-2007, 07:10 AM
Is that ...

"Im a yankee-doodle-dandy'

Playing in the background

perhaps if you crank up the volume

it will mask the screams of the million man bloodbath

reaching out from the grave.

Sleep must be hard to find

For those American flagwavers such as thee?

Ive experienced these ugly bigoted remarks about the Japanese from my youth on

Im used to it, so are they..

Americans sadly can EVER see their own mistakes

NONE can justify Hiroshima and Nagasaki

not in this world

Or the one to come

IMHO

clemiedog
08-09-2007, 07:13 AM
it will mask the screams of the million man bloodbath

Actually about 30,000,000 civilians lost their lives in WWII.

Bard
08-09-2007, 07:21 AM

Bullshit.

http://www.gensuikin.org/english/photo.html

Bard
08-09-2007, 07:24 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

The dinitial death talley does NOT include the thousands who died afterwards

Bleep
08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
well, do we really want to start counting? :sadsad

it was WAAAAAY more than a million, for sure.

conservative estimates say 5 million Jewish Germans. Conservative estimates say 11 million Christian and Buddhist slavs. We haven't even left central Europe yet.
:banghead

so whats happening in the middle east today?

clemiedog
08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
30 million is an accurate number.

Bard
08-09-2007, 07:56 AM
30 million is an accurate number.

Clemie

I apologise

I misread your initial post

Typical Bard-blunder :happy

Bard
08-09-2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.newstarget.com/019176.html

Hiroshima and Nagasaki fact and fiction:
Lie: Leaflets were dropped on Japanese cities to warn civilians to evacuate.
Truth: Leaflets were dropped after we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Lie: Our use of the atomic bombs shortened the war.
Truth: The Japanese were looking for peace when they returned from the Potsdam Conference on Aug. 3, 1945, three days before the U.S. military bombed Hiroshima.

Lie: We bombed Hiroshima, which was an important Japanese Army base.
Truth: We bombed the city center of Hiroshima, which had a population of 350,000.
Truth: Only four of the 30 targets were, in fact, military in nature.

Lie: The destroyed area of Hiroshima contained major industrial targets.
Truth: The only "industrial" targets were three textile mills.
Truth: Residential areas sustained the most damage.
Truth: Less than 10 percent of Hiroshima's manufacturing, transportation and storage facilities were damaged.

Lie: Residual radiation was not a threat to the American soldiers who stayed to occupy Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Truth: The "black rain" that fell after the bombings contaminated the ground, which was one of the many sources of residual radiation.

Bard
08-09-2007, 08:21 AM
most, merely parrot their parents in this matter, IMO, knowing little about it actually

Few most likely have ever given it much independent thought (moral, philisophical, or otherwise)

we, rather....

Respond in typical crowd frenzy dressed in red white and blue

we parrort, yip yip

Yet DARE not to revisit the HORROR we prounced upon our brothers and sisters(ie human beings)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1295/is_n8_v59/ai_17367812

clemiedog
08-09-2007, 09:33 AM
I apologise

I misread your initial post

No problem, that is what I thought.

Now the notion that Japan had a legitimate peace proposal at the Potsdam conference is a real stretch. At the time, Japan was still pressing to keep the USSR out of the Pacific conflict. The Yalta agreement put the Soviets into the Japanese war, but they didn't mobilize and move a million men into Manchuria until after Potsdam.

Japan endured worse attacks in the firebombing of Tokyo, Osaka, and perhaps another city or two. It was the realization of just how devastating just two bombings were that moved Japan to surrender. Suggestions to the contrary, such as the realistic conclusion that Japan would be enormously better off surrendering to the Americans than to the Soviets, are suspect at best.

To me, war itself is immoral, and therefore I regard the bombings as wartime strategy. It was purely a military decision based on the assumption that it would hasten the surrender without a land force invasion. Using previous land battles as a scope, they made the correct choice.

Mr. Lemon Pocket
08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
strategy?

Our responce?

Our response was a strategy of our own. Minimizing the deaths of americans while maximizing the deaths of Japanese.

How irresponsible of thier government to put thier entire country at risk by attacking america. You don't stab a giant in the leg and not expect to get stomped.

TwiggyAZ
08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
We are a VERY young nation. If we want to compare atrocities. Japan has us WAY beat.

We are NOT, well until Iraq, a country to go attack other countries without provocation. And we did not attack Japan. They attacked us.

And you only have to read a few books on what Japan did to us during the war to realize why we decided(an atrociously difficult decision at that) to drop the bomb.

Go ask a vet. They can tell you why.

lordhumongous
08-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Ive experienced these ugly bigoted remarks about the Japanese from my youth on

What propels you to feel justified in exonerating the Japanese for the atrocities they committed and taking it a step further,to coddle them as though they were the most peace loving creatures to walk God's earth? You can keep up with the"Yankee Doodle Dandy" rhetoric all you want.Fact is,your "moral" stance on what occurred is clouding your ability to reason with what was a practical necessity.As an armchair quarterback,it's easy to look back and say what should or shouldn't have been done.The military strategists at the time believed(and I'm sure after careful deliberation),that this was the proper course of action.It's utterly inane to sit there and second guess their decision...

lordhumongous
08-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Now the notion that Japan had a legitimate peace proposal at the Potsdam conference is a real stretch.
It was the realization of just how devastating just two bombings were that moved Japan to surrender. It was purely a military decision based on the assumption that it would hasten the surrender without a land force invasion. Using previous land battles as a scope, they made the correct choice.

There you go Bard.In a fucking nutshell.How much more clear can this be made for you!!!??? Good job Clemie... :shrug

Bard
08-10-2007, 08:21 AM
What propels you to feel justified in exonerating the Japanese for the atrocities they committed and taking it a step further,to coddle them as though they were the most peace loving creatures to walk God's earth? You can keep up with the"Yankee Doodle Dandy" rhetoric all you want.

As an armchair quarterback,it's easy to look back and say what should or shouldn't have been done.The military strategists at the time believed(and I'm sure after careful deliberation),that this was the proper course of action.It's utterly inane to sit there and second guess their decision...

Thinking before you type is always a prudent thing to do.

I never brought the Japanese character into play,

You and UKBB and others did, your bias could not seemingly resist.

Fact is,your "moral" stance on what occurred is clouding your ability to reason with what was a practical necessity.

May it always be my sin to bear.

How sad it is, NOT, to bring morality into the question

It is the pragmatic and practical nesessity crowd you need to look out for.

They with ease, can always justify mass murder.

It does not wash in this world, nor shall it wash in the world beyond.

Know that, my blind fellow.