What find ye
When ye peer deeply
In the glass

Findest thou hope
Fleeting or strong?

What does the image instill?

ravenblanc
09-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Interesting piece..leaves me with a questioning feeling.

On a personal note I have always distrusted looking glasses and find that a more accurate reflection lies in what I perceive to be my affect on the world around me.

Bard
10-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Perception is faulty at best :biglaugh

Especially when self is tacked on the front like an engine

And just as powerful

Whether it runs uphill for good

Or downhill representing negativity....

I have seen oft, a good person

Ruined by their POOR self perception, including their impact, or lack of, on society ie family and friends.

Naw, I find not the mirror a tool of vanity alone,

But rather a quick road to the soul

and the joy it harbors

or not...

Yet, if your impact is good, (as you view & feel it) and is so felt in your heart

Then I commend you and say as Twiggy said (on another thread)

'Ride your own ride'

Yet, in simplicity I still say

Ones visage reflects quickly the spirit they possess

Wether planted in joy or despair.

Bard
10-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Then again, if a person had faulty self perception

Blossoming in sweeping negativity

They would most likely view their image as negative as well

No matter the possable beauty at hand

Offering the mirror as a worthless tool in assessing such as these :ohwell

ravenblanc
10-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm enjoying your comments...they have the feel of looking in a mirror at a mirror at a mirror...not sure if you are wanting any further thoughts from me but what the heck..the mirror told me I was courageous today. :biglaugh

For some, the image of self is formed long before they are tall enough to look in the glass,so that when finally they peer into it they do not see truth but only a reflection of the opinions of others.If those opinions are positive,one may have a completely different reflection than one who has been judged negatively,but are either of them truth?Ugly duckling or beautiful swan? Bright as a button or dumb as a rock? Worthless or priceless? These impressions of self can follow one long into adulthood and distort the mirror's tale..ie anorexia nervosa etc.
But when I go into my world there are those that can only tell truth,for they know nothing else.Does my dog greet me,tail wagging eagerly or lay her head in my lap,as if with compassion? Does my horse run up to me nickering today as he did yesterday?...or does he hang back warily today? When I walk down the path to the pond,do the birds take flight or continue their song? And when I gaze into that pond do I see black depths or reflections of clouds dancing across the sky?The list goes on.I have learned how to deceive myself in the looking glass,the fake it til you make it theory of self improvement :ohwell .But for me, these things in my world better reflect the truth of who I am today..now...no matter what the looking glass has led me to believe.

Bard
10-03-2007, 04:47 PM
.But for me, these things in my world better reflect the truth of who I am today..now...no matter what the looking glass has led me to believe.

Well spoken. :thumbsup

Both distinct and distinction mark they who know themselves. :cool