PDA

View Full Version : How do you evacuate over a million people?

giiglehoot
09-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Does anyone have any theories?

I hate Perry, but this isn't his fault.

I hate Bush, but this isn't his fault.

People started leaving far in advance. With food. And their pets. They have arrangements to stay with other people. A friend of mine left at 4am, by 8, she had moved 7 miles. By noon, she had traveled 12 miles, and had half a tank of gas left. Her dogs were hot and stressed. She was suppose to be at my house by now. I have no clue where she is. She lost the charge on her cellphone. WTF do you do?

giiglehoot
09-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Another thing, how do evacuate a million head of cattle. We're worried about gas, as well we should be. We're fixing to be screwed. But in addition to the refineries in the bay areas, southwest Texas is big cattle country. As well as an agricultural area. In addition, there are hundreds of small towns north and south of the eye area. Very small, poor towns. This time of year, there are also lots of migrants working.

I have heard this referred to as the largest storm hitting the largest state. I just hope our large heart can handle it.

Tornados and earthquakes come from nowhere. This is torture, watching and anticipating.

basca
09-22-2005, 06:40 PM
No answer for you. Watching the traffic on the news is unbelievable. It looks like a complete mess. Keep us posted on your friend.

giiglehoot
09-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks basca. I'm just depressed. It's seems we've done everything correctly. Left in plenty of time, with family, food, necessities, pets. NOW WTF?

So, I can imagine, according to posts I read after Katrina, that people are now expected to abandon their vehicles and start hiking across the coasts, hills, plains and valleys of Texas. Hell, I even think we have 2 mountains if you want to get creative. Imagine, a million something people walking in search of what? A hotel room? There is not one in Texas. GAS! We're even running out here for some strange reason -- at very high prices no less.

Earlier today, I was kind of encouraged. The eye was moving more towards the northeast. I felt guilty for that. Now it's moving back to the west. This is a slow suffering. My son is in San Antonio. I don't know if I should have him come home or not. At this point, he is safe. Tomorrow, I don't know. Hell, tomorrow, I may need to go to San Antonio. By then, it will all be too late to do anything. What the hell do you do?!

bagbalm
09-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Note to self - take bicycles when evacuating.

giiglehoot
09-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Note to self - BUY a bicycle.

RenegadePoster
09-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I am sorry, giiglehoot- this must be excrutiating for you. I am sorry for all of Texas. I have no immediate family there anymore, but plenty of extended family. Luckily they are all in the north (Dallas).

We'll be following this with you.

browneyedK
09-22-2005, 07:14 PM
It's been So crazy today. Our town is between Houston and Austin. Traffic is unbelievable. We received So many phone calls today at ,y office asking us for alternitive routes. We had people calling in crying saying that traffic was moving SO slow that people were having to get out and go to the bathroom on the side of the road. It was SO sad. And I just got through standing out on my back porch watching. Police cars everywhere and its just non-stop.

I have a house full from Houston. We are still waiting to see the path it's gonna take.

Should know in the morning around 10.

giiglehoot
09-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm safe, dry and on the internet. I don't want to sound like a drama queen. I just worry about my friends, and my friends' friends. And I'm watching in amazement the news showing all these people attempting to evacuate correctly. They are making heroic efforts to deliver gas. I guess this time tomorrow night, we'll see helicopter evacuations.

And poor New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana, look at the rain they are fixing to get.

I'm just sad - and worried.

basca
09-22-2005, 07:32 PM
You don't sound like a drama queen by any means. I would wonder about someone who was not concerned. I did say a prayer for them and all of the folks trying to get out. I can't imagine what runs through ones mind, knowing that this is coming so close to them.

Peregrina
09-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I'm out in West Texas, for us we just hope a bit of that rain comes and alleviates some of the effects of the drought. And we aren't being crass when we say that, but there is nothing we can do but watch. We have some of the Katrina refugees here in town and more coming in from South Texas, trying to get clear. The major topic of conversation at work today was the storm, is it still Cat 5? Did your kids get out of Houston safely? Have you heard from..... you get the idea.

RenegadePoster
09-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Well, 2 million were given the order to evacuate in TX. According to our local news, they opened up opposing lanes of traffic on the major highways there in an effort to ease congestion and had fuel tankers running up and down the highways to re-fuel those who had run out of gas.

Hopefully no one has to resort to hiking out of the area.