Bard's Coliseum  

Go Back   Bard's Coliseum > Main Category > Gladiator Arena

Old 08-11-2017, 04:57 AM
'Bardonia's Administrator

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hey Guys Check in What are you up to?

I planted some rhubarb in the spring. You're not supposed to pick it the 1st year, but couldn't help myself last night... picked enough to make a small batch of rhubarb sauce. Next spring os gonna be awsome!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 AM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

Stray, you made my mouth water. We have a rhubarb bed that we started from a patch DH's father had. It really needs to have dried manure spread every spring. I make sauce, rhubarb strawberry pie, I've even used frozen rhubarb bits in bread pudding. You're just a country boy!

I miss making jellies and jams. my favorite was a plum rum jam, but strawberry and raspberry were favorites too.

Have a lot of home improvements going on. Decided to replace 40 year old tile in the foyer, well one thing led to another, sanded and applied polyurethane to the treads, re stained and sealed the risers and side boards, railings. Stripped wallpaper, prepared walls and painted. Looks great, all shiny and new.

Got an eye on the kitchen, needs new flooring and cabinets painted, back splash. Lord if only we were rich instead of good looking.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold

Ah... good ol' heirloom rhubarb.

I got one clump of rhubarb from my mom. She started hers 40 years ago from some that - she claims! - was her father's. I am not so sure, my brother and I have a pretty good idea what was around my grandparents yard, and can't remember him having rhubarb...

... however, his brother, my mother's uncle, lived next door to my grandfather and he had the finest rhubarb patch I ever saw (at least back then) which we used to raid when we visited my grandfather. We think her rhubarb came from that patch.... IF it came from there...

... however... and here's where the plot thickens... up the road from my mom's house, where we grew up in Rollinsford, out behind the old Wentworth place a ways, is the cellar hole where Walter England used to live. Walter and his house were long gone by the end of the 30's... Walter died, and the house burned. Now, between the cellar hole and a couple apple trees there used to be a "wild" patch of rhubarb that we used to pick when we were kids. It for sure was some Walter had, as it was in what had been a small cultivated area. Anyhow.... I recently talked with my brother Jim about the source of the rhubarb in back of his house in Dover... HE said he dug up a bunch from the old walter England patch back in the 70's and GAVE HALF TO MY MOM and planted the rest at his house...

... so I dunno...

Anyways, if it came from either my grandfather or great uncle, then it probably originated with my great grandfather, who lived up the road from my grandfather and who had a patch of his own, according to my mom.

We will probably never know. The old England place is long turned into woods and there ain't no rhubarb there. I am tempted to grab some of my brother's and see if it matches my moms. In fact, I AM gonna get some, because I want to plant some of Walter England's rhubarb at my place, have good memories of eating rhubarb at that old cellar hole.

Okay... so that was the clump from my mom...

15 or so years ago my sister, on one of her visits from Seattle, brought home a root from my mom's patch. This spring she hacked off a piece and brought it to me. That one is growing fine even though it was just a piece of root and a small one at that, planted in May....

... now, my 3rd clump... when my sister visited in may, she spent a weekend with her friend. She txt'd me a pic of Beverly's rhubarb... growing beside her chicken coop. Wow! I said. and so Beverly gave me a huge bucket full of her rhubarb, chickenshit and all....

And that's the story of my rhubarb

'cept I have to go across to my neighbor and see if there is any old rhubarb growing out back there. That house used to be owned by an old friend of mine from where i spent 25 years working. Ernie and his wife bought the place in 1946 after he came back from the war. They have both passed on now, but if there is some of their rhubarb out back there - I want some. Carey, the guy that owns it now, mentioned there might be some still over there....

And so, I aspire to be a rhubarb farmer LOL

Oh and BTW, gonna sneak out back of the property where my great grandfather used to live and see if there is a patch out there LOL. That property was in the family somehow until maybe 5-6 years ago and i don't think my mom's cousin Jack messed with stuff out back too much....
Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Since up til now I've had to get my rhubarb "elsewhere" (pay for it or swipe it from my mom) I have only made rhubarb sauce a couple times in early summers over the years, adding some fresh strawberrys now and then. NEXT year gonna go for strawberry rhubarb pie and jam.

As far a jams and jellies go... every year I make a batch or 2 of elderberry jelly. Love it! Been doing that for many years.

Last year I also made some apple cider jelly, and some elderberry/apple cider jelly. That was good!!!!!!!

Elderberries are due in a few weeks, so I'll be pickin... you'll know me when you see me, i'll be the one with purple hands from juicing them.

Oh, the other thing I made last year was boiled cider, oh man that is good! Learned about that from an old old cookbook. About the consistancy of maple syrup. Apple flavor you wouldn't believe. Add a few tablespoons to your apple pie...

Manure... I get composted horse manure from a farm over in Newmarket. When I prepared the bed for my rhubarb I dug deep. Didn't use the dirt that came out of it. I have a huge pile of composted leaves 20 years old... I mixed it 50-50 with my horseshit and filled the trench. The rhubarb loves it! In july I put some more composted horseshit on them. I plan to cover them with dry cow manure for the winter, just for a change lol.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

I love the Saga of the Rhubarb! History for the eatin'.

Serious question....when the flower stalk starts to grow in the center of a rhubarb plant do you cut it out?

Remember this old thing?

Q: Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?
A: Not if it's in cans!
(That's worse than Do you have Prince Albert in a can?)
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Virgil Turdblossom

Wrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to all

"Think the rain'll hurt the rhubarb"?

"Not if ya CAN it"!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Yes, I cut it right away as soon as possible. It's my understanding that once that seed stalk matures the plant is done for the season.

My plan is to "can" several jars of rhubarb sauce for later in the winter.

Scouted out the elderberries today while driving about drinking coffee with my brother,. Looks like they'll be ripe within a week, a very few ripe ones now.

Also checked out a couple crabapple trees... they're loaded. I want to make some crabapple jelly. The year before last I got a bunch but my mom talked me into giving the juice to her so she could make some LOL and last year was a bad year for crabapples around here.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Elite Member

Noguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really nice

My daring Wife makes great rhubarb tarts and pies. I have to leave 'em alone. Mixed with strawberry, well that is some good stuff!

Played a great festival on Saturday. So nice to see all the people out, enjoying the weather, having a good time. Families together. If you don't get out, and only watch the news, you'd forget all the great things going on every moment of every day!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:11 AM

Oh man, NG... rhubarb TARTS???? You lucky guy!!!!

I hope to be able to make strawberry rhubarb pie and jam next June when they are both in season
Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Elite Member

Noguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really nice

Can no longer get to The Ross Shew. Browsers block it as dangerous and containing malware.

Anybody else having that problem?